Sudeki

Deano Calver

Newcomer
I've been working at Climax Solent for about 3 weeks. Climax are most famous for the MotoGP series, which gave Xbox Live the initial kick it needed. That was done by Climax Brighton (another office), with Shawn Hargreaves as Lead.

The project I'm working on is Sudeki, Sudeki is a Microsoft published action RPG exclusively for Xbox. Its big (both in budget and size), most of the work has already been done, I've joined for the last 6-9 months. Crunch time has started and won't finish until sometime next year. The graphics engine (mainly written by Steve Legg) is really good and streches the Xbox to breaking point, with 1/2 million triangles per frame @ 30 fps. Shaders everywhere and real-time shadows (perspective shadow maps), it draws a huge world with dozen of high detail characters walking around. Very pretty.

I've been currently working on optimsation to bring the framerate up which drop a bit in the complex town scenes, the next thing I be working on is bringing the memory footprint down.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Sudeki/default.htm is the official website, and climax's sudeki website is at http://www.climax.co.uk/games/games.aspx?ArticleID=88 both have some pretty screenshots (though they have probably been through the hires screen capture code, it render at higher res when it takes a publicity screen shot).

Might see about implementing position vertex compression using optimal eigen-space quantisation that I described in the 2 ShaderX books. We have so many vertices in memory that savings could add up to several megabytes at any time.

Talking of ShaderX, ShaderX2 goes to the printers soon, there are some really nice articles in there. The articles from Tom Forysth and Peter Pike Sloan are particularly interesting IMO, also Kristof's cloth physics is very cool. Shawn Hargreaves has also done an article for ShaderX2 and thats available to download on the Gamasutra website. I'm going to see about getting both my articles from ShaderX 1 and 2 up here soon.

On a completely different note.
I'm always amazed that some CG video's could probably be done in real-time today, I'm just watching the latest Iron Maiden video which has a pretty cool CG video. I reckon we could that in real-time now or at the latest next year. Got to write down a game idea I've got based around music videos down one of these days. On a music related note, The Darkness's CD is very good in a strange modern yet 70's rock stylee.

On another completey different note.
Next-gen consoles always produce an amazing amount of noise on the internet. Almost all of it is so much rubbish. On our very own Console forum here on Beyond3D, we have some posters stating they know what the PS3 architecture will be like, I know people who work for Sony and they don't know what PS3 will look like, so how can some random internet poster know?
In the interest of more useless unprovable gossip, I've heard that a very early Xbox2 devkit might be around in a month or 2. Who knows if its true? (well I might know in a couple of months but I couldn't tell you)

Back