Stupid bike. Stupid rain.

Tim Murray

the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
Veteran
Rode to work on the bike, turned the last corner in front of the building I work in, and thanks to the hilarious amounts of rain we had this morning (which stopped two hours before I came in), down I went. Four or five people ran over to make sure I was okay and hadn't broken my arm (apparently they all thought I did, but that might have been because I yelled "fuck" really loudly...).

Stupid bike. I love you, but why did you have to do that? So mean.

And stupid rain. Okay, you make it not 90 degrees, awesome. But you don't have to rain *that* much.

This happened right in front of your building? How embarrassing! I don't have the capability to just brush of instances like this. Provided it happened to me, I would probably feign death until everyone forgot about me and dispersed.

This happened right in front of your building? How embarrassing! I don't have the capability to just brush of instances like this. Provided it happened to me, I would probably feign death until everyone forgot about me and dispersed.
Eh, I didn't know anybody who came out. I was just really pissed at going down in the first place. Didn't hurt that much anyway(although I just checked and wow, huge bruise on the hip).

You mean Bicycle or Bike? ;)

I'm gonna guess that where you're from there's some difference between Bicycle and Bike. Do you care to share? In Canada and the US bicycle and bike are pretty much used interchangeably although bike can also be used to refer to a motorcycle.

Been about 15 years since I rode a bike prior to buying our new ones - even I can still do it without falling off! :p

I'm gonna guess that where you're from there's some difference between Bicycle and Bike. Do you care to share? In Canada and the US bicycle and bike are pretty much used interchangeably although bike can also be used to refer to a motorcycle.
Do you call those bums on harleys "motorcycler" (or even motorcycle-rider)? :oops:

@Tim: same thing happened to me some years ago (must been >10 years, damn im getting old). my company had that crosswalk directly in front of the driveway entry. Well.... teached me not to do sharp turns on wet street markings.

Huh? If thats some kind of joke you're gonna have to draw a picture or something because I'm not getting it.
Guy on bike = biker. Prolly a cultural clash, but to me those are synonym with motorcycles, as I dont think anyone would call a guy on bicycle "biker". Im just curious, not trying to be offensive.

Guy on bike = biker. Prolly a cultural clash, but to me those are synonym with motorcycles, as I dont think anyone would call a guy on bicycle "biker". Im just curious, not trying to be offensive.

I wouldn't use the term biker to describe someone on a bicycle and I wouldn't use the terms you suggested to describe a motorcyclist either.

The word 'bike' actually predates the motorcycle so I think trying to say that its only correct usage would be to indicate someone riding a motorcycle is probably incorrect.

Online Etymology Dictionary
bike
1882, Amer.Eng., shortened and altered form of bicycle.

And not one of them filmed it and put it on youtube :(

Someone posted a vid of two totally drunk hungarians trying to move a huge log with a bicycle a few months ago here, that was hilarious. I can't find the link, but it would fit nicely ;)

Hope your bruices heal quickluy and your bicycle is OK. (A bike usually doesn't get damaged from such a crash, except maybe some scratches.)

And thanks for the English (American?) lesson. I thought the same as Deepak/Npl. That "bike" pretty much always was with a motor. And that the standard name for someone riding a motorcycle (bike :smile:) was a "biker". Especially if you wanted a cool word for it. I expected the word used in more formal situations (like legal text) to be "motorcyclist".

Is it the same in Brittain?

I've always called motorbikes "bikes", as well as push-bikes "bikes". Then again, in Australia we call fries "chips" and potato-chips "chips". We know what we're talking about, who gives a fuck if you don't? :LOL:

Back