Strange output on MSI G4Ti4400

rAvEN^Rd

Newcomer
I recently had a strange experience. I've been enjoying a G4Ti4400 from MSI for the past week. I wanted to try out the VIVO-features of the board and it turned out that the 9-pin adapter won't fit in the output. The output seems to be a regular S-VHS connector but it doesn't seem to work to connect the board to the TV directly with an S-VHS cable.

I've been mailing MSI for an explanation but they haven't replied yet. Any one of you guys that knows what's up with this? The board is called MS-8871 and should feature full VIVO-functionality.

Try the nvnews forums, or a more nvidia-centric website. You'll probably find more people there who have experience in your particular product.

Russ - is this going to be your standard reply now to anyone who posts a thread that you consider low intellect value? "Go away little boy and take your teenage problems to a [original word didn't submit!] fan site"? If you're not going to help, then don't bother replying to such threads. If you think they're not suitable, then leave it to the B3D staff to sort out (or PM JR if needs be).

Well, I think he is being helpful since it is highly likely that he would get more of a responce from someone who has a experienced a similar issue at such a site.

Yup. However, I don't see it as intellectual snobbery at all.

NVNEWS is by far the better place to get help for your NVIDIA product.
PVRExtremist is the better place to get help with your PVR product
Rage3d is the better place to get help with your ATI product.

Even Anand, HardOCP, Tomshardware, or any of the bigger forums is a much better place to find people to help you with your product because there's a whole lot more people there who might have had the same problem.

There are 888 registered users of Beyond3d (or so says the forum stats). How many people who frequent here might own the VIVO G4Ti4400 from MSI, beyond rAvEN^Rd?

I'll continue to offer this brand of help to posters seeking a technical support forum, and I'll continue to be polite about it. If you think they're not suitable, then leave it to the B3D staff to sort out.

I'm well aware of that Dave but have you not noticed that Russ does this to almost every thread that isn't high-brow? There are plenty of people in this forum with hardware experience who might be able to help and give a detailed and intelligent reply, something (that we both know) isn't always the case in fan sites.

Plus there is the small point of trying to encourage more regular visitors to the site - replying with intelligent, literate comments from everyone will help here. Telling someone to go elsewhere isn't exactly "good for business", no?

Actually, it's great for business.

I read the forums here to see some informed opinions about 3D graphics. I do not come here to read posts about people troubleshooting each other's graphics board problems.

This particular help thread is rather pedestrian, after all... aside from going to MSI and downloading the manual for this fellow's board, how is anyone to know whether this fellow has a board problem, a cabling problem, or a TV problem? These sorts of troubleshooting problems are an excercise for the card owner in conjunction with the support of the board vendor.

I agree with Russ that NVNews would be a better place to post this thread but they are currently offline so I thought I'd try this place out. I didn't take offence from Russ' post but then again if someone, for some reason, would know something about my problem I would be grateful for a reply.

This could be considered to be an excersise for myself and MSI. I have lots of boards and cabling around and the drivers work properly. It seems like there's the wrong output on the board! Of course I have emailed MSI but they seem to be taking their good time replying and I'm supposed to post a review of this board in a couple of days. So I'll try any forum around if I think it'll solve my problem. But if you guys consider this forum to be wrong for this sort of post I'll just take my bussiness elsewere.

Back