Strange issue

OpenGL guy

Veteran
It used to be that when I logged out, all threads were marked as read. Now that's no longer happening. Any ideas what changed? I've tried diferent browsers all with the same result.

I'd prefer the old behavior if it's possible to restore it. It's annoying that everytime I open a new browser, items from months ago are marked as unread.

Doesn't have any impact unless I am logged in :( As I said, the site used to mark everything read when I logged out, but it doesn't anymore.

They changed the behavior some months ago. (Something about using the DB to remember which threads are read)
I must say I much prefer the current way though, since I can read parts of the forum and return later a still see what parts of I haven't read yet. Once a week or so I can then mark it all read when I know I have read what I want.

They changed the behavior some months ago. (Something about using the DB to remember which threads are read)
I must say I much prefer the current way though, since I can read parts of the forum and return later a still see what parts of I haven't read yet. Once a week or so I can then mark it all read when I know I have read what I want.
Except I prefer not to stay logged in, so now I see threads from months ago always marked unread.

Open up a second account under a very lowkey name and just use it to cruise the boards and only log in as OGL Guy to post stuff you want under your name?

It doesn't matter. I can't mark things as read unless I am logged in. Even threads I have posted in show up as unread when I log out. (Like this thread!)
Try killing your cookie and logging in again. After we did the last vB upgrade, I had some weirdness with my account as well, but that seemed to fix it...

Open up a second account under a very lowkey name and just use it to cruise the boards and only log in as OGL Guy to post stuff you want under your name?

Sorry dig, but we don't allow that at all. Double accounts cause various problems with regard to moderating the boards, so we're not particularly fond of them.

It doesn't matter. I can't mark things as read unless I am logged in. Even threads I have posted in show up as unread when I log out. (Like this thread!)
When you're logged in, the read/unread state of threads is stored in the database for each user, so you can log in from different computers and see the same state. When you're logged out the forum software can't query that information from the database for obvious reasons, so I believe the read state is stored in a cookie, if at all, and only persists for a certain time.

The software can't assume that when you log out you're still the same person using the computer.

When you're logged in, the read/unread state of threads is stored in the database for each user, so you can log in from different computers and see the same state. When you're logged out the forum software can't query that information from the database for obvious reasons, so I believe the read state is stored in a cookie, if at all, and only persists for a certain time.

The software can't assume that when you log out you're still the same person using the computer.
I suspect it used to use a cookie that tracked read messages even while logged out. It's annoying that it doesn't do so anymore.

Maybe it used to be that way, can't really remember. I only recall that, after some adjustment time, I preferred the new system. I guess for most people storing the read state in the forum database is a better idea.

Back