Stop the presses: CAPCOM surprised PC SF4 was highly pirated

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Richard, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

In another example of lolwut, Capcom says that while a PC port of SSF4 isn't right out, piracy numbers of the original are forcing them to rethink their strategy:

So let's see if we can break this down:

• Console versions were preempted by SSF2T-HDR to drum up interest.
    • Console versions released 5 months prior to PC version.
    • Console-only SSF4 announced 2 months after the release of PC version.
    • PC versions' sole outstanding feature was three PP filters that were, at best, subjectively likeable to try, but often just annoying or gimmicky.
    • It used G4WL's moronic "this game's key works on any other game" system.

Yep, I'm just as surprised as they are by the piracy levels. Too bad every single of these points was Capcom's decision.

EDIT: I ought to start a video show: The Angry PC Gamer Nerd: Instead of reviewing shitty games I'd make fun of companies who do shitty PC ports and stack the deck in favour of consoles and act all suprised when the PC doesn't bring in the same numbers. Now I just need a jingle.

2. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Well fortunately I don't really like anything the company makes! :) Only RE4 has done anything for me and the PC port of that is terrible.

3. NRP

NRP
    Veteran

Sorry Richard, I'm not getting your point. Are implying that all of the things you listed justify the piracy? Or are you implying that had any (or all) of the things you listed not happened that piracy wouldn't be an issue?

4. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Maybe, Richard, that's what CAPCOM was so surprised about ... Since they set up the SF4 PC version to fail, they never expected pirates to even care so much?

5. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Have they released numbers of sold games versus pirated games? If no then it is just BS. Could aswell be 200k sold copies and 50k pirated to claim lots of piracy. Releasing a game a long time after console version, barely any new features and also sell it for full price wont net them many sells since most lost interest or already bought it for consoles and thus the ratio will be different.

6. Richard

Veteran

Make sure you try it out with High-Rez Mods! You still need to play with a controller but the game really comes alive with some high-rez texturing, higher-rez cutscenes.

Closer to the second one. Obviously there'd always be piracy* but the delayed release and new version announcement killed any chances a PC version aspired to have. Most people that wanted the game and had a console had already rent/bought it by the time it reached PC shelves. It's a similar story with GTA4, Gears of War and Halo 2.

My main point however is that Capcom can't be surprised at piracy levels because they fostered the situation. I just searched for some of my posts about SF4 and here's me talking about the lag and then announcing SSF4 so close to pc's release.

They're not excuses but you have to wonder why certain games sell a lot more on PC than other games. I haven't done a scientific study about it I'm going to guess that a straight port 5 months afterwards with a shiny carrot dangling over isn't going to sell as well as it could.

* Of course, we then would get into a discussion about whether every pirated copy is a lost sale.

7. Richard

Veteran

I think you may be onto something here. :|

I'm *still* waiting for extra content grin/capcom promised to make up the fact I paid $5 extra for the PC version of Bionic Commando Rearmed when the PC version has less levels and no leaderboards. Maybe they won't release Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 for the PC because we like to complain about paying more for less. :roll:

NRP: Btw, Capcom pulled the same stunt with RE5 announcing the console-only Gold Edition a WEEK after the release of the PC version (which itself lagged the original console versions by 6 months). Is capcom also surprised RE5 PC was highly pirated?

They need to include the following poster on every single of their PC ports from now on:

[​IMG]