Stop cross posting other people's posts ...

MfA

Legend
Let's hope some people see this before it gets locked or moved, or drops off the page ....

Nothing can be discussed with people who dont even post here, if you dont understand the arguement well enough to express it in your own words why do you feel qualified to judge it's value? Unless there is some other reason why the arguement should hold weight, for instance because the source is well known to be well informed, I think people should stop with the incessant parroting.

It is annoying ... I like to argue, but not with straw opponents.

You bring up a very good point. This is something that needs to be addresed. I hope you don't mind if I make it a sticky.

Serious question...

I'm participating in another forum, Ars Technica, a definitive forum on the net for ISSCC coverage on CELL from Hannibal. Because I mainly post here on B3D...How do I pass any information from the other thread on Ars to a thread here which was specifically created to focus on solid, definitive info so that we don't have to trawl through spam?

I can of course only speak for myself ...

I always welcome information.

I welcome opinion if we can all generally agree the source has a reason to have a more informed opinion than most (which rules out most anonymous sources, but not always ... if you have a reason to assume it is really from an industry insider I dont mind). Hell even if it is just someone with a big reputation it can be fun to argue about.

But just quoting nobodies because you think their arguements have the appearance of being insightfull? Unless you 100% agree and are willing to discuss and argue about the content of what you quote what does it add on a discussion forum?

Im trying to make people a little more self conscious about simply quoting and adding nothing ... I know most of it is youthfull enthousiasm and naivite, but maybe pointing that out will make them think twice and remove a small annoyance for me :)

Well Jaws it be good if you can discuss it all in one thread , there is no need to have 80 threads of the ps3 info on the boards , it will only allow for repeat discusion , fights from cross posting and other problems

I do also notice that there are multiple threads on CELL but they end up being the same arguments in different threads. We will continue to lock threads fi they go the course of discussion fo rthe same topic until only one topic of discussion is there per thread.

Right and we will try to keep the threads with the greatest amount of data and interesting converstation as the ones left open. Ones with fewer replys will be locked .

Should so much stuff be being locked? I thought only stuff that was against the forum rules should be locked...

At least put a link to the other thread in the one you're locking before you lock it. :)

I disagree with the policy of locking threads with the same arguements. It's very grey and I'd rather a more hands off policy is used. Inappropriate topics or clearly trolling should be locked, yes, but not repeated topics discussed in different contexts. It's hard for anyone to say what is the criteria (sufficient similiarity?) for locking such threads.

The multiple Cell threads will die with time, no need for extra intervention.

mech said:
Should so much stuff be being locked? I thought only stuff that was against the forum rules should be locked...

At least put a link to the other thread in the one you're locking before you lock it. :)

Cause you can't see the other 20 threads on the same exact topic, on the same (first) page of the console forum?
There must be something like 30 threads in the first and second page, all on Cell. Just checked, 12 threads on PS3/Cell and about 25 total with the second page.
And while it might be useful to have different threads, and not one 80-page thread, it gets a bit too much sometimes.
A bit like when Doom3 was released (or close to release), the Games Forum was full of Doom3 threads, at one point they were ALL threads on the game, with one thread on Everquest2 and one other on HL2.
Then HL2 was released and it was the same thing all over again.

JF_Aidan_Pryde said:
I disagree with the policy of locking threads with the same arguements. It's very grey and I'd rather a more hands off policy is used. Inappropriate topics or clearly trolling should be locked, yes, but not repeated topics discussed in different contexts. It's hard for anyone to say what is the criteria (sufficient similiarity?) for locking such threads.

The multiple Cell threads will die with time, no need for extra intervention.

I agree. Although there are multiple threads on CELL, each of them are discussion various different topics about it. After a while, some may go off-topic or become rendundant with other threads, but they will die off on their own with time (just like threads discussing other parts of CELL where interest is lost). And if it's getting too much, surely BB allows for merging of threads? It's certainly better that way than having 1 CELL thread with 30+ pages with cross-discussions of over 10 topics taking place...

Back