Still Life

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Unknown Soldier, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Ostsol

Veteran

Depends on the game.

Not "RPGs":
    • Diablo
    • Final Fantasy
    • Dungeon Siege

RPGs:
    • Planescape: Torment
    • Baldur's Gate
    • Fallout

RPGs are games where the way one interacts with characters alters the way the game progresses. You can develop for your character a personality that has a meaningful effect on interactions with other characters and how the story advances.

2. Ichneumon

Regular

<off topic>

Heh, I spent more on hardware for that game than any game ever... A swank 3x NEC cdrom (nothing faster at the time) and a roland wavetable midi card. Loved it. Still listen to the soundtrack on occasion. Talk about games that pushed hardware...

</off topic>

As for this game this thread is about... still haven't tried the demo. Will have to check it out this weekend.

3. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

:shock: I always thought Diablo 2 was RPG!

As you've noticed RPG's and RTS ain't my thing. FPS games are my thing . .although I do like playing RP .. erm adventure games once in a while.

So what category does Diablo, DS, Morrowind (this has to be RPG right?!), NWN, KOTOR, SW:Jedi Academy, WOW. I always had them all down as RPG.

My definition of:
    FPS - First Person Shooter i.e. Quake, CS, HL etc.
    RPG - Role Playing Game i.e. Diablo, DS, Morrowind, SW:JA etc.
    RTS - Real Time Strategy i.e. Warcraft series, C&C series, Warhammer 40000 Series etc.

US

4. Ostsol

Veteran

The industry lumps anything where you have a character that has stats and skills as an RPG. :? Rather saddening -- especially when you see something like WarCraft III described as a "strategy-RPG" mix.

Morrowind is almost a real RPG. The problem is that while character interactions are meaningful in the game, conversations are rather lacking in substance beyond plot and background information.

5. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Pretty hard to play a role when you can't choose what to do, and what to say, real RPGs (ie pen&paper) are all about acting and talking like your character, something you can't do in most so called computer RPG games...

It looks like RPG applied to computer/electronic games means to have a main character and stats.
    With such a loose definition, many games can be of the genre.

6. Altcon

Regular

I downloaded the demo but havent' gotten around to it.
    Looking back at microids earlier stuf, I'll probably love and finish it two days after it's shipped.
    I must admit Post Mortem had some pretty hard puzzles though..