Steve Jobs told kutaragi he was dissapointed with cell

TEXAN

Regular
As it happens, Intel's was not the only alternative chip design that Apple had explored for the Mac. An executive close to Sony said that last year Mr. Jobs met in California with both Nobuyuki Idei, then the chairman and chief executive of the Japanese consumer electronics firm, and with Kenichi Kutaragi, the creator of the Sony PlayStation.

Mr. Kutaragi tried to interest Mr. Jobs in adopting the Cell chip, which is being developed by I.B.M. for use in the coming PlayStation 3, in exchange for access to certain Sony technologies. Mr. Jobs rejected the idea, telling Mr. Kutaragi that he was disappointed with the Cell design, which he believes will be even less effective than the PowerPC.
Now that Mr. Jobs has broken with I.B.M., however, Apple is free to pursue a potentially intriguing consumer electronics strategy with Intel.

Intel has been looking for ways to get its chips into devices that can compete with game consoles as living-room entertainment hubs. In fact, all three next-generation video game machines made by Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony are based on I.B.M. chips. And analysts say that both Microsoft's Xbox 360 and the Sony PlayStation 3, scheduled to arrive next spring, will be positioned as home media hubs in addition to being video game machines - and priced far lower than the Intel-powered, Windows Media Center PC's that are also aimed at the living room.
Should the new consoles find wide acceptance as broad-based entertainment engines, Intel will need to respond - and one attractive alternative would be an inexpensive Macintosh Mini based on an Intel processor, able to run the vast library of PC games.

Before he can set his sights on that new market, Mr. Jobs faces the task of shoring up his base, his customers and developers. On Monday, he made the case to the software designers who must be willing to rewrite their software for the new Macintel world.

Early indications are that he made a convincing presentation.
"The reason people buy Mac is the software, and I think the real fun is yet to come," said Scott Love, the president of AquaMinds, a software concern in Palo Alto that sells a Macintosh program called NoteTaker used by writers, researchers and students. "We'll be able to develop a program that will just work on both I.B.M. and Intel-based computers."

shorter link by jvd

Well, if they were looking to move architectures post-haste, it doesn't surprise me that Cell was passed over. Not to mention, as has been discussed there are just too many advantages not related to performance whatsoever with going the Intel route.

We've kind of been over this..over and over again. Cell is not a chip for PCs. Well as the main CPU anyway. At least not for now. It could make a nice co-processor though, perhaps.

It'd run probably a lot of PC apps "ok" and if some others were optimised for it, it'd run them blazingly. But "ok" isn't enough in a competitive environment, and "blazingly" would require a lot of work, more than a transition to Intel even, probably.

Intel makes more sense, for sure.

I'm kind of disappointed that Cell won't be used in next-gen Apple computers, but I'm not too surprised. Any kind of "general purpose" computer is going to need out-of-order execution to run fast enough.

Oh well, if you want a Cell-based personal computer, get the Linux+hard drive for PS3. :D

Shark Sandwich said:
I'm kind of disappointed that Cell won't be used in next-gen Apple computers, but I'm not too surprised. Any kind of "general purpose" computer is going to need out-of-order execution to run fast enough.

Oh well, if you want a Cell-based personal computer, get the Linux+hard drive for PS3. :D

I'm still waiting for my EE+GS scalable workstation. I don't think Im gonna hold my breath on the linux ps3 ;)

Pozer said:
I'm still waiting for my EE+GS scalable workstation. I don't think Im gonna hold my breath on the linux ps3 ;)

We had linux PS2 so why not linux PS3?

I'm not so sure if it'll be "scaleable" though...Kutaragi and Sony's CTO has actually said that PS3s can be connected together for distributed processing out of the box (that's why there are so many network ports there, apparently), but IBM et al have been so quiet on that feature that it makes me wonder. Kutaragi has said the PS3 OS has that fully implemented though. It'd be sweet if it happened, but I'm not holding my breath.

Titanio said:
Kutaragi and Sony's CTO has actually said that PS3s can be connected together for distributed processing out of the box.

Keep drinking the Sony Kool-Aid

Cheers
Gubbi

Gubbi said:
Titanio said:
Kutaragi and Sony's CTO has actually said that PS3s can be connected together for distributed processing out of the box.

Keep drinking the Sony Kool-Aid

Cheers
Gubbi

I hope it ships in spring. I cant take a whole nother year of Cell/ps3 mysticism.

Story makes no sense. Sony wanted Apple to adopt the Cell in exchange for access to Sony technologies?

Or Sony wanted Apple to put something like iTunes on Cell? Which would of course hurt Sony's digital audio players.

Anyways, Idei and KK are not calling the shots any more.

KK talked about nonlinear video editing and image processing applications on the PS3. Final Cut and Photoshop? Those apps aren't going to be big draws to the people who buy consoles. And if you can buy a $300 console which can do those things effectively (Final Cut and Photoshop each cost around $1000), why would people buy expensive Power Macs and PowerBooks?

As for Apple and Intel needing to come out with some answer to consoles as part of the living room war, well over 100 million consoles have been sold each generation and they haven't really killed the PC business yet.

People aren't in a great hurry to have PCs in the living room. PC games in the living room aren't that great a draw, since you need keyboards and mice. And there's no great demand to do video or photo editing in the living room with a big TV either. If video downloads became a big thing, an appliance has as good a chance as a PC/Mac of managing your video collection.

Story makes no sense. Sony wanted Apple to adopt the Cell in exchange for access to Sony technologies?

apple using cells means more money for sony. Sony would most likely give them access to certian tech and in exchange the cell processer will be used in apple pcs where they could enjoy a price preimum and have a custom os made around them .

What's this topic doing in this forum?

A: it's not console related.

B: Jobs isn't a hardware expert, he's a used car salesman in the computer biz, very much like Trip Hawkins.

C: apple was obviously going to switch anyway no matter what the design/performance of cell, and saying cell sucks is just a knee-jerk parting gift aimed at IBM.

D: who cares about apple anyway? Anyone at all? At most you might buy an ipod but that's it, so why do you even care what Jobs is blabbing? :D

-tkf- said:
Though i don't really see how a Cell could be used a all purpose CPU?

It might. But it would be hard. Just about all current applicatios are written with a totally different kind of architecture in mind. Let us first see some serious multi-threading and stream-centered applications, then we can think of building a box that runs them well. In the mean time, multi-core offers a bit of an improvement, as long as you use multiple general purpose CPUs to do it, and use more than one applications at the same time.

But in a few years from now, an architecture like Cell might start to make sense for other things than games and applications that only want as much horsepower as they can get. And it would very probably require an adoption by the Linux crowd to make that happen.

Guden Oden said:
D: who cares about apple anyway? Anyone at all? At most you might buy an ipod but that's it, so why do you even care what Jobs is blabbing? :D

I care. So there!

People, people...this is but a single step in the course of Apple history. For all we know, they may be shopping around for yet another CPU platform switch in another 10 years. By then, and if all goes well, can you imagine how Cell will have matured as an architecture? If anything, that would be a very "safe" time to jump into Cell, no?

Back