Steve Ballmer talks XBOX 2

persiannight

Newcomer
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/004326.html

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer today became the latest Microsoft executive to say some vague but intriguing things about company's plans for the next-generation Xbox console. (See this earlier post and the second item in this article.) His comments came in response to questions from the audience during an event for minority high-school students this morning on the company's Redmond campus. Here's what he said in response to the first one:

"When you see the new Xbox, you're going to think it's un -- well, let me say it politely -- unbelievable. Just unbelievable. The graphics, what it can do, the way things look, huge innovation. Rumors are that we'll see that product sometime soon. I couldn't comment, of course, on those rumors. But it's an amazing, amazing innovation."
Later, one of the students asked if the company had a chance for holding up in the long run against the better-established Nintendo and Sony in the video game business. Here's what Ballmer said about that:

"I think we’re going to blow by Sony with our next box. I absolutely think we’re going to kick their backsides, so to speak. I think Xbox 1 has been a fantastic product. We’re not market leaders yet. There’s Sony, there’s us, there’s Nintendo. When we get Xbox 2 in the market, there’s going to be Xbox and the other guys." His voice escalated to a crescendo as the audience laughed and applauded. "I'm feeling a little frisky on this topic right now!" he added.
I went back and listened to my recording a few times, and Ballmer did, in fact, say "next box" at the beginning of that response. Was that merely his own verbal shorthand, or does it give away something about what the company will call the next console? Perhaps the former, since he went on to use the name "Xbox 2."

At any rate, the audience member then followed up with another question, asking what would make the next Xbox stand out over other game systems.

"Why do people buy one game console over another? As we say around here, 'Duh, it's the games.' ... Partly they're great games because they have great graphics, they have great processing, they have great this, they've got great that, but it's about getting great games. So, there's two parts to that: Number one, we have to make sure we have a great environment, software environment for people to write games, games that connect to one another, games that are social, games that are hard-core. We've got to make sure we let people write great games. But then, number two, we, Microsoft, have to write a number of really great games to show it off. What is 'Halo 2?' It's the greatest video game ever written. It shows off Xbox 1, and we’ve got some more games coming that will be the greatest video games ever written, and they’ll show off Xbox 2." He concluded, with a grin, "There’s probably a more humble way to say what I just said, but I’m all worked up."

So, Steve Balmer thinks the Xbox 2 is great...
Now I'm left here wondering what next-gen console Bill Gates, Ken Kutagari and Satoru Iwata think is the better.

persiannight said:
"I think we’re going to blow by Sony
Interesting freudian slip (Or typo), though. :D

Big words, he should spice things up a little. If he is so sure about the success of X-Box(2|360), how about resignation in case of third or second place? ;)

Your missing the point even if their next-gen machine is a steaming pile of crap and I'm not saying it is, they would still tell you its the best thing since sliced bread.

Well nobody expected him to say something modest like, "we'll have a competitive machine but we have tough competitors who are pouring a ton of resources into their next machines."

Overenthusiasm is what Ballmer seems to be most noted for.

Maybe that's his biggest contribution as CEO? He did become CEO from sales and marketing.

wco81 said:
Overenthusiasm is what Ballmer seems to be most noted for.
Bingo. He is a self-described cheerleader for MS.
No sensible person expects him to give fair and objective synopses of MS products.

Just enjoy the humor, people. Don't be too uptight. :)

Yeah, he is a little over the top. But he is excited and is pitching his product. While I dont think Halo is the best game ever (great game none the less, one of the best in the vintage 2004 year), he is obviously allowed to have his opinion. I know people who swear by Halo--and to them it is the best. To each their own.

But that is not what got me to reply. This is:

"Why do people buy one game console over another? As we say around here, 'Duh, it's the games.' ... Partly they're great games because they have great graphics, they have great processing, they have great this, they've got great that, but it's about getting great games. So, there's two parts to that: Number one, we have to make sure we have a great environment, software environment for people to write games, games that connect to one another, games that are social, games that are hard-core. We've got to make sure we let people write great games. But then, number two, we, Microsoft, have to write a number of really great games to show it off. What is 'Halo 2?' It's the greatest video game ever written. It shows off Xbox 1, and we’ve got some more games coming that will be the greatest video games ever written, and they’ll show off Xbox 2." He concluded, with a grin, "There’s probably a more humble way to say what I just said, but I’m all worked up."

By golly MS might not be the idiots most make them out to be. Out of the big three MS is the only one publically declairing the need to help developers. I do not know how many times I have read about the rising costs of development and the money/gamble it will be to develop a next gen game. Serious issues that need serious solutions. And MS is not just blowing smoke, they are doing something about it: XNA. Now, whether that will be enough to gain marketshare, I do not know. And obviously Sony and Nintendo are not sitting around doing nothing, but I do wonder how developer friendliness plays into the console designs. I think we would all agree that losing all the smaller developers and having them assimilated by no-risk publishers who want to push tried and true sequals is no fun. Especially when they push out games that given 3-6 more months could be A titles, but end up being C titles with a lot of bugs and small tweaks and features that would have made the product significantly better.

It really seems the PS3 and Xenon systems are very different in design focus. It will be very interesting to see how that plays out in how it affects the quality of the finished products. But I am excited about any moves the big three do to shorten development times, save money, and make the design process better/more efficient. There is no point putting $10M in the game if the gameplay is not there. More time on the "fun" factor and less time on fighting the beasts are good. For those reasons I really like the direction MS is going and quotes like Ballmer's. I think they understand the importance of high quality games. Not that Sony or Nintendo have forgotten this, but it is nice to hear a multi billion dollar company preach it.

Acert93 said:
Yeah, he is a little over the top. But he is excited and is pitching his product. While I dont think Halo is the best game ever (great game none the less, one of the best in the vintage 2004 year), he is obviously allowed to have his opinion. I know people who swear by Halo--and to them it is the best. To each their own.

By golly MS might not be the idiots most make them out to be. Out of the big three MS is the only one publically declairing the need to help developers. I do not know how many times I have read about the rising costs of development and the money/gamble it will be to develop a next gen game. Serious issues that need serious solutions. And MS is not just blowing smoke, they are doing something about it: XNA. Now, whether that will be enough to gain marketshare, I do not know. And obviously Sony and Nintendo are not sitting around doing nothing, but I do wonder how developer friendliness plays into the console designs. I think we would all agree that losing all the smaller developers and having them assimilated by no-risk publishers who want to push tried and true sequals is no fun. Especially when they push out games that given 3-6 more months could be A titles, but end up being C titles with a lot of bugs and small tweaks and features that would have made the product significantly better.

It really seems the PS3 and Xenon systems are very different in design focus. It will be very interesting to see how that plays out in how it affects the quality of the finished products. But I am excited about any moves the big three do to shorten development times, save money, and make the design process better/more efficient. There is no point putting $10M in the game if the gameplay is not there. More time on the "fun" factor and less time on fighting the beasts are good. For those reasons I really like the direction MS is going and quotes like Ballmer's. I think they understand the importance of high quality games. Not that Sony or Nintendo have forgotten this, but it is nice to hear a multi billion dollar company preach it.

Wow!!! out of all the replies the one quoted above, and a previous one by chrisrt2, hit the nail on the head.

Not to flame anyone, becuase I admit I'm not as knowledgeable as many who post here, but many of you realy hate MS and the XBOX program (IMHO).

I have enjoyed many tech related posts on beyond3d over the year, but only just recently seen how much hatred there is for anything MS does right or wrong when it comes to consoles. At any rate great post Acert93

persiannight said:
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/004326.html

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer today became the latest Microsoft executive to say some vague but intriguing things about company's plans for the next-generation Xbox console. (See this earlier post and the second item in this article.) His comments came in response to questions from the audience during an event for minority high-school students this morning on the company's Redmond campus. Here's what he said in response to the first one:

"When you see the new Xbox, you're going to think it's un -- well, let me say it politely -- unbelievable. Just unbelievable. The graphics, what it can do, the way things look, huge innovation. Rumors are that we'll see that product sometime soon. I couldn't comment, of course, on those rumors. But it's an amazing, amazing innovation."
Later, one of the students asked if the company had a chance for holding up in the long run against the better-established Nintendo and Sony in the video game business. Here's what Ballmer said about that:

"I think we’re going to blow by Sony with our next box. I absolutely think we’re going to kick their backsides, so to speak. I think Xbox 1 has been a fantastic product. We’re not market leaders yet. There’s Sony, there’s us, there’s Nintendo. When we get Xbox 2 in the market, there’s going to be Xbox and the other guys." His voice escalated to a crescendo as the audience laughed and applauded. "I'm feeling a little frisky on this topic right now!" he added.
I went back and listened to my recording a few times, and Ballmer did, in fact, say "next box" at the beginning of that response. Was that merely his own verbal shorthand, or does it give away something about what the company will call the next console? Perhaps the former, since he went on to use the name "Xbox 2."

At any rate, the audience member then followed up with another question, asking what would make the next Xbox stand out over other game systems.

Heard it many times to many before. My advice: shut up and deliver. It's what annoys me the most about any company; them talking about what their going to do but never do it.

Acert93 said:

I'm not sure about Nintendo, but Sony seems to be working on something similiar for their console better known as Open GL. But as you said, I wonder how effective it'll be to what Microsoft seems to be whipping up with XNA. In any case, the two seems to resemble one another in a few ways. But, I agree, the library is what matters most.

Back