Step by step review of x360...

blakjedi

Veteran
Got the x360. Housemate of mine has a friend at at a certain game store the got him the system a lil bit early... around 9:30 PM EST. Walked out with Premium system, with a play and charge kit, extra wireless controller, x360 wireless network kit, PD0, PGR3, CoD2, Kameo, Madden06, Quake4 and NBA 2K6. All told shared expenses totaled 900 USD. Just setup the system gonna give yous guys blow by blow all nightof each game and each component if possible.

If anyone else gets the thing tonight feel free to add in views whenever, wherever... "Lets roll!"

Best controller by the way.. even with the battery pack its lighter and firmer and smaller than the original xbox controller... The really neat thing about the controller is the light around the x360 symbol is divided into four greenlights... which ever light is lit corresponds to the controller number. On the gamerstag screen in the upper right, it also signifies using the same symbolization designating which controller has control over the input screen at the momentr. The power brick is MASSIVE 7.5" x 3 wide by two high... the adapter is like an inch square.

I was wondering why the output was muddy.. then the 360 told me to flick the switch setting on the HDTV connector and ... voila! 720P at 106" in teh dashboard!

Last edited by a moderator:
NBA2k6 is incredible visually. The animations are spot on though... the animation transitions can be choppy. Physics are intact for all cloth and the ball _all the time_ (round ball). Physics dont seem canned at all... as well they shouldn't. ;) Some things are strange (Shaq... a finger roll?:rolleyes: )but whatever. Uncanny valley is everywhere but not distracting. Some clipping on players clothes... cause its past midnight here will go ahead and connect to live to check BC...

Supposedly 360 supports WEP, WPA and WPA2 (which I use on my home network...) but having a couple issues getting the 360 adapter to see it and give up its mac address (reading would be fundamental so to the instruction manual I go... will be back...)

kyleb said:
Does the framerate suck? Gamespot came down hard on it for that.

hmm.... IGN wasn't as hard, but they reported that it did drop sometimes.

kyleb said:
Does the framerate suck? Gamespot came down hard on it for that.

framerate seemed fine. My friend sean who loves quake had no complaints but then again we only went 20 minutes or so into it... playing around with the 360 and watching "zero hour." Now i understand why reviews take so long...

Apparently WPA2 doesnt work even though its listed... so i dropped down to WPA and voila! We're on! looking for an update to get back to WPA2... Halo2 did boot right up though. Nice res and speed boost but nothing spectacular... but at least it works. Will try Jade Empire, quantum redshift, def jam, forza and PDOrta tmw.....

The Russian campaign in the snow of CoD2 is so crisp and rock solid I am speechless. Nearly every texture is crisp, smoke effects and snow spray from missed shots are flawless... finally a FPS i can enjoy (other than Riddick!)

Last edited by a moderator:
[maven] said:
Does the fan in the power brick turn off when the console is switched off?

I was tired as shit last night... :p Just woke up... ah yes well the last i remembered, my brother and my buddy were playing PD0. All I can say is.... we were worried about nothing. PD0 environments aren't spectacular in terms of being flashy but If you think youve seen a better looking textures, or framerate in a better looking FPS... you are probably wrong. The reactions of enemies to being shot is consistent with local damage physics - no more random or silly ragdoll effects. NPCs actively avoid getting shot but will try to advance on you aND not JUST GET PINNED await some superAI shot from hell. AI is fair so far again this is short summary.

The entire package is slickly presented like a full on well done James Bond movieVoice acting is merely ok. weapons series was varied and powerful

Madden - looks great. Not really a Madden fan so no comparisons to prior years here... what i do love about Madden so far is that one of the play calling modes on offense is centered around your star players in addition formation and type. This allows you to work on a certain player on a certain set of plays as long as you want. Nice!

Back later... gotta was my ass! :D

Back