Steam to evolve and get on the community centric bandwagon

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by B3D News, Jun 21, 2007.

1. B3D News

B3D News Beyond3D News
    Regular

Valve issued a press release yesterday to announce a major update to its famous digital content delivery system, Steam. Expected to be available by early July, this update is said to be the largest the platform ever had since its commercial inception in 2004.

Read the full news item

2. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Can anyone say "MySteamSpace" ?

So long as they don't fudge with the tried-and-true, simplistic interface that they have now, I don't suppose this is of any concern to me. I think I would much prefer that they do a few other things besides creating a MySpace for Steam;

a.) Finish Episode 2 allready, damnit.

b.) Fix the various menu bugs, such as the 'crushing' information columns ingame in CSS.

c.) Work on reducing the overall bandwidth requirements for Steam. Where I am, we have crap internet, so we get capped if we go over this pathetically small limit (about to change that, but anyway), once capped to 64k/64k, launching into Steam, let alone firing up a game is next to impossible due the apps' rampant plastering of my internet connection. From clicking my Steam shortcut to just getting my games on the Steam Games List takes anywhere up to 30 minutes...never mind launching the damn game. A year ago (last time I was capped), Steam was exceptionally fast. What's changed so damn much? I don't have the update alerts enabled, and I 'minimise' my Steam window to it's smaller version the moment I can. This situation is the same for everyone else I know...capped internet = no Steam, it's just too much hassle.

d.) Finish Episode 2? :mad:

3. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

finish episode 2? i thought that episode thing was supposed to be all about quicker release of game chunks.

if episode 2 is the same level of content (infinite spawn NME NPC's in at least one area is one irritant) and length and things to find and screw around with. this will be my last HL purchase. i didn't feel like the $20 bucks i spent was anywhere NEAR what i got, relatively speaking, for my $50 bucks in HL1 and HL2.

Sin Emergence gave me, easily TWICE the content that Episode 1 did. i felt distinctly cheated with Ep1.

4. Star_Hunter

Newcomer

They already set the release date at October 9 2007. Should be 39.99 for EP2 Portal and TF2.