Steam, Origin, Epic, Twitch, Good*, *Games <digital delivery store> Sales

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by trinibwoy, Dec 23, 2009.

1. brain_stew

Regular

Well the fact that its not an FPS title might have something to do with that? Its a momentum based first person platformer and has a lot more in common with the old Sonic the Hedgehog titles than any modern FPS. Probably my goty, the underlying platforming mechanics are perfectly implemented, the level design excellent and the visuals in the PC version are simply stunning.

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

To each their own...

If Overlord II hadn't come out Mirror's Edge would easily have been my most disappointing game of the year. And I love platformers when done well, played the hell out of Sonic back on the Genesis. As I said, I just don't "get" this one.

Just personal preference, but platforming in first person just did not work for me, leaves me cold... Probably would have liked it better had it been in a more traditional 3rd person view.

Regards,
    SB

3. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

I downloaded ME to support DICE and just got the Burnout pack since I actually had some fun with that on the PS3.

4. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

Episode 1, 2, and Portal for me today. And I can't resist Bioshock any longer..

5. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Red Faction Guerrilla is some weird hybrid between a steam and GFW game ... GFW wants to download updates but because steam installed it it can't find the install path, sigh. Have to run the update manually. It also won't save your custom key settings until you have a GFW profile ... charming.

PS. even more charming, they let you think you can reconfigure your keybindings ... but then the first time you get into a vehicle you find out that forward/backward for normal vehicles is hard coded (they remembered for tanks, but forgot to use it for normal vehicles???). Goddamn console developers ...

#45 MfA, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2009
  6. Davros

Legend

do you not use w/s for forward/back ?

7. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

I never do for instance (W and X) since my fingers are too big for most keyboards, I use S to "Use" for instance.

8. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

Today for me Burnout!

But I've laughed at Prey 'SOLD OUT' text :lol:
    That's nice!

9. MfA

MfA
    Legend

esdf > wasd.

10. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

Good call.. played that game more than anything this year

Yeah I thought that was hilarious but also a shame as I was looking to buy it!

11. Davros

Legend

Problem solved you have to be logged in and in a game you cant do it before you load a game or it wont stick
    [​IMG]

12. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Lol are your hands so huge that your pinky finger falls off the keyboard when using WASD?

13. MfA

MfA
    Legend

esdf has the normal blind typing hand position (nice for games where you sometimes communicate with typed text) and allows you to use more mapped keys more easily (function keys are less convenient). A decent argument can be made for rdfg, even more keys in easy reach, but wasd is just completely and utterly inferior.

PS. Davros, thanks ... it seems I'm just blind and stupid, although you would kind of expect that on the axis menu with all the other movement related keys wouldn't you?

#53 MfA, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
  14. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

wasd cramps my pinky painfully when left shift and ctrl are used...ouch. Need to remap...

15. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Ah, makes sense I guess. Though I think the only game I've ever typed in was WoW.

Yep, now that's a good reason to switch. Same thing happened to me recently - might have been in Mass Effect. I'm gonna have to unlearn years of WASDing!

16. Davros

Legend

My new sig :D
    only joking ;)

Actually I use w,s,q,e

17. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Sounds like the same problem the PC version of Farcry 2 has with the hang glider. Made it virtually useless since I use RDFG instead of WASD.

Now, I'm constantly wondering when I'll run into another situation like that, sounds like Red Faction will be a game I'll have to avoid. /sigh...

Regards,
    SB

18. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yeah the whole reason I switched to RDFG was for access to more keys in easy reach. Especially when FPS games started to use more and more hotkeys.

So used to it now that I don't even have to think about it to shift my hand over 1 key in order to do blind typing then automatically switch back. I'm not even conscious I'm doing it when playing an MMORPG for example.

I can't imagine trying to get by with just the keys available to a WASD config.

Regards,
    SB

19. MfA

MfA
    Legend

I was just looking in the wrong section ... they have all the movement keys (including steering for vehicles) in one menu, except forward/backward for vehicles which was in another one.

PS. I should mention that the turret turning on the PC is bloody broken (there is no separate mouse sensitivity for it, with a playable sensitivity for turrets normal play becomes impossible and vice versa).

20. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Why don't you guys just invest in an Xbox 360 controller? Would probably save you a lot of headache in console ports. I bought dead space and guerrilla but don't plan to play either until I snag me a controller first.