Steam is updating...

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Diplo, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Diplo

Veteran

2. PiNkY

Regular

3. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

:lol:

good one.

4. Diplo

Veteran

5. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

The really sad thing is, this is SO TRUE...

The piece of crap still hogs 100% CPU time while logging in/connecting/downloading, it's completely rediculous. Death to motherfuckin steam I say.

6. Ty

Ty Roberta E. Lee
    Veteran

Man, I'd be happy if they just incorporated some better cheat detection and then banned the losers like they're supposed to.

7. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Dude, you are utterly mistaken. I was installing CS: Source while ripping a CD in iTunes, patching Planetside, transferring a ton of music to my friend through our LAN, and browsing around on Opera with about 5 windows open. (And I'm only on a Barton 2500 with 768MB of RAM here...)

I'm certain it CAN take 100% of your CPU time if it can, but it yields it up about as well as anything else I use. (Perhaps a bit slower to respond than some...) And certainly I wasn't doing all those tasks as fast as they could have happened with so many running at once, but that doesn't change the fact that it plays nicely if you want it to.

I had a problem recently with Steam failing to connect, but it seems to have just had an issue when I installed Xfire. After uninstalling it, it's back to working with nary a hiccup. (Seems weird to me that I had a problem, though, as my friend installed it as well and STILL has it, and had no problems. <sigh> Silliness.)

8. The549

Regular

You know, if steam just quit when hl2 booted up and all, I would like is so much more. I really do not want the future to be a new Steam app for every damn game I want to play.

9. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

I rather imagine it'll be going that route from any developer or publisher big enough, though. They like control. If Steam pans out, they'll be itching to follow.

Frankly I like what Steam offers, and it's been handled reasonably well for this kind of service in its formative state. It needs refinement, certainly, and will get it. But on the whole, I don't mind it at all. I have enough games to play if my internet goes out, I don't really have to care if I'm kept from theirs. :p :wink: Considering I would shrivel up and die without the net to keep me company, I don't really mind that turn of events.

10. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

That piece of lint ref sure brings back memories!

Anyway, Steam is _a lot_ better than it was a year ago. At least there's been progress! ;)

11. ZoinKs!

Regular

When I saw this thread's title, I hoped it meant DoD: S was finally out... :(

Darn you Diplo!
    Darn you and all your monkeys all the way to Heck! :evil:

:p

12. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Well that's true, I suppose. I ignored Steam pre-HL2. Nothing worth playing on it. ;)

13. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

I have not had a single problem with Steam. I lost Cable over the Xmas weekend for 4 days and I was able to play no problems. I bought my cousin and brother versions of HL2 over Steam, copied the GCF files over to their systems and they were up and running in minutes.

The best part is that (1) Everyone is patched so more people can play on servers and (2) you get content right off of servers.

Games like BF1942 with the recent 1.61 patch killed the community. If it was autoupdated no one would have ever noticed. And with other games where you have to wait hours inline at Fileplanet I get my stuff in minutes over steam (I know, some have had problems with this). And the fact players have to manually download user created maps and content, and then FIND servers running these mods/maps/updates means that most mods and custom maps are never played.

And best of all Valve has been updating HL2 at a quick pace. We now have some new CSS maps, bots, HL2DM, updated SDK, and so on.

Steam is not perfect, but after having to play the patch game so many times with other buggy releases Steam really has come a far way quickly. I have a large libary of games that have few patches in 2 years than HL2 has had in 3 months. And HL2 is not even close to as buggy as many games out there (anyone play BF1942 1.0-1.3??)

Steam could be better, but I like it a lot. I cannot wait until Valve releases VAC2 on all the CSS cheaters!

14. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Dude, don't take away mah cheatz! I M L33T HAXX0R!

15. fallguy

Veteran

Never had the first problem with steam.

Why is it, the pro-NV/anti-ATi people seem to dislike steam so much.

16. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

If you can figure out why the pro-ATI/anti-NV people like it so much then you'll have your answer !! :lol:

The point above is a good one - about easy access to patches. But how about a little button on the launcher saying "Check for update" - the main problem with Steam is that it is too invasive and inconvenient for regular use. It should be an on-demand service.

17. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

*Cough* If only that was the case, I'd cry tears of joy! No, unfortunately I speak the truth here.

Just ctrl-alt-del up your handy task manager and check steam.exe's CPU use while it accesses teh intarweb. I only have to listen to my cooling fan to know it's doing some funky shit for no reason; I hear immediately when the CPU starts to run hotter.

18. Ichneumon

Regular

I just fired up Steam knowing it needed an update and wanted to check the process usage like you said. AFAICT, Steam used approximately 0% cpu for most of the update from the web, and the part that wasn't 0% were blips of 2%. Doesn't seem to be a problem on my system at least.

19. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Then your particular interaction with Steam is screwier. I'm currently downloading HL: Source while ripping a CD and the score is iTunes 98%, Steam 2% with fluctuations. I launch another game (Planetside) and it steals 30% from iTunes while it's the launcher loads, and then 10-20% while it updates. Steam remains at 0-2% while it continues to download. (Probably a bit slow. 80 minutes for... um... however big HL: Source is.)

Regardless, Steam doesn't seriously impact anything. It slows down operations as much as other programs are apt to while multitasking with a bunch of stuff, but that's to be expected.

I'm sure it'll grab more once the CD stops ripping, but everything is operating as I would expect. You might want to check your settings, Repair Steam, or otherwise peruse through their technical help forums if it's seriously impacting. I think on the whole, though, it operates like the ATi Control Center does. It takes whatever is freely available, but gives it back just fine when other applications want it.

...actually I seem to be wrong about that. When the CD stopped ripping, the Planetside Launcher takes 10-20% variable, Steam still just wants 2%, and the rest is Idle. It's halted by my available bandwidth, I guess.

20. Gabrobot

Regular

I was trying to upgrade stuff via Steam a couple days ago and I had the same problem with Steam using 100% of the CPU...the thing was that first it lied about having finished updating CS...it said it was ready to play, so I started it up (I wanted to try the bots since I've never played CS) but poor 'ol hl2.exe could hardly function because steam.exe was using 100% of the resources (well, not completely of course, but it sure as hell tried its best). Anyway, I tried disconnecting and starting Steam offline, but then I find that it hadn't actually finished downloading the updates (like I said before, it lied). So I reconnect to the internet and open Steam, and I see it go back to downloading something (I assume it was finishing downloading the update, but I have no idea since Steam apparently didn't think it was important enough for me to know...well it bloody well is now!!!)...so I decide to watch a movie trailer while I wait for it to finish. Just a quick-time movie, nothing particularly huge or anything. So I try playing it but find that Steam is using 100% of the CPU again, and the movie is a jerky mess. After waiting another hour or two for Steam to finish I got fed up and closed it...at least, I tried to. It seems Steam likes to lie about that as well. I tell it to quit, and the icon disappears and everything...but...guess what! Steam.exe is still merrily chugging away with 100% of my CPU! Fortunately even Steam can't stand up to a good kick in the butt via process termination, and I finally smited it. Still, not only did I not get to try the CS bots, but Half Life 2 is all screwed up now as well since it wasn't completely updated either...what happened to the days when you could just run a game whenever you wanted? Oh yeah, they're still here...with every other goddam game that Steam hasn't touched!. Grrrr...

(Oh, and if it matters, I happen to proudly be a pro-ATI guy :p )