Steam Hardware and Software Survey (May 2017)

Dunno what's the problem. "Everyone" wanted a globally representative distribution. Seems we're getting there. We only need to get the african residents on board now. /halfsarc
Except China is not over the 65% world population that have enough money to buy a PC and play games on steam network.
The survey is broken, just compare the data of graphs (the VR doesn't reach the 100% at all), the DX graphs is inconsistent with the OS data (even if you properly swap the DX12 system data with the DX12-pre10 system data), and all those low level systems (750 GTX TI) are paired mostly with over 12+GB RAM (!), the "Other Settings" data is completely messed up with the share changing...

Last edited:
What to extract from a pile of crap? Wildfire?

I know it's funny, and I laughed (at the exchange), but that is exactly what statisticians do, seperate certain information from uncertain in datasets in various degree of confidence, possibly correlating it with other datasets.

I had a look at the November numbers for the current generation products:

1. 1060 13.41%
  2. 1050 Ti 9.90%
  3. 1050 4.40%
  4. 1070 1.57%
  5. 1080 0.81%
  6. 1080 Ti 0.34%
  7. RX 460 0.34%
  8. RX 480 0.29%
Nvidia share: 30.43%
AMD share: 0.63%

So for the computers that Steam surveys, Nvidia is outselling AMD 48 to 1. It's never been this lopsided before. As we know, AMD is selling a ton of cards to miners.

Based on the Discrete GPU Market Share Report for Q3 2017, Nvidia leads AMD 72.8% to 27.2% (2.68 to 1). Putting the two sets of numbers together, 94% of AMD's cards are going to mining instead of gaming.

Or 94% of systems with AMD Cards never get selected for Steam Survey.

So you are suggesting:
  • Some random number anomaly that massively underpicks AMD systems EVERY single month
  • AMD users are some 20x more likely to not respond to the survey as Nvidia users EVERY single month
  • Steam is purposely under reporting the numbers for AMD systems
Statistics are a well known science. There is no good reason to believe that Steam is doing anything wrong with their survey techniques.

You can also look at the revenue numbers that AMD & Nvidia report to the SEC. Do you believe one (or both) of these companies is being untruthful in their financial reporting?

Steam is purposely under reporting the numbers for AMD systems

My anecdotal experience is Steam always asks me to participate in the survey when I randomly start Steam in my Surface Pro just to update or make some purchases, but very rarely it asks me to participate when I fire up Steam to play in my office machine with a RX Vega (and X-Fire R9 290X before that).

From what I recall, I have never had a steam survey on my gaming PC setup in the past 8 years but always get it on my web surfing or office PCs. The Steam statistics are cake.

I am curious as to why AMD users became so STEAM-shy since the time when 48xx cards quickly came to dominate their Fermi counterparts in the survey.

Back