Steam Deck - SteamOS, Zen2 4C/8T, RDNA2 1.0-1.6 TF, 16 GB LPDDR5 88 GB/s, starting at $399 [2021-12]

Looks to be as small as the Switch light plus it has an oled screen. Speculation is that it could be powered by a 6600u

The ryzen 5 6600u is
6/12 core/thread zen 3+ base clock 2.9 boosted 4.5
RDNA 2 6cu 1900mhz

I believe they mentioned on their discord it won't be RDNA2 for graphics.

Some more info.

Weight - less than 400 grams
5.5 inch oled screen 1920x1080
AMD APU that hhas never appeared in a windows handheld (whats the over under of this being van gogh like in the steam deck? with its odd phrasing)
Wifi6e
NVM e
1080p in such a tiny handheld screen is complete nonsense.

1080p in such a tiny handheld screen is complete nonsense.

Its probably amoled with senile subpixels arrangement. So 1080p is actually a requirement. Unless you want to get lots of color fringe and weird mesh-like effect in a screen at that size

Got my Steam Deck order email today :]

order22.png

Excited to get it and play around with it. I'm also as equally excited to see it evolve over time, as well as the effects it has on other aspects of Steam and PC gaming.

Lots of potential for this device.

Some pics of games I took running on the Deck. Pretty darn impressive little machine I do say!

I'll put them in spoilers because there's quite a few.

(Protip - if you click one of them and then "ctrl+mouse wheel down" to zoom out to 50%, that's what they look like on the Steam Deck's screen.

Gears 5
download-11.jpgdownload-17.jpg
download-18.jpgdownload-10.jpg

Elden Ring
elden720.jpgdownload-19.jpg

God of War
download-15.jpg
god2.jpg

Persona 4 Golden
download-20.jpg
download-19.jpg

Psychonauts 2
download-26.jpgdownload-25.jpg
download-24.jpg

Death Stranding
download-6.jpgdownload-8.jpg
download-10.jpg

Resident Evil 2 Remake
download-17.jpg
download-18.jpg

DMC5
download-22.jpg
download-29.jpg

Last edited:
Valve confirm (again) in a new ebook that they'll be future iterations of the Deck. Also that future versions will be more customisable. Maybe they'll make the SSD a bit easier to swap out?

SteamOS will be seeing a general release too. Not quite sure what would compel someone to install that over Windows though.

I got an email from Valve yesterday evening asking if I want to fulfil my SteamDeck pre-order by 18.55 on 28 August.

I'm going to pass on this and let somebody else enjoy it.

Enjoy your early SteamDeck, random person! :yes:

I was looking through my library of games and saw Ryse.. which I had completely forgotten about. I decided to install it and check it out on the Deck.

(Sorry the volume is really low)

Runs better while at the same time higher settings than the Xbox One version.

XO: 900p, Medium settings, 30fps with frequent dips into the low 20s and high teens.
Deck: 900p, High settings, 30fps locked.

Pretty incredible how well this game holds up even today, some 9 years later. Looks incredible on the device itself! Seeing games like this, Spider-man, God of War, FH5, Gears 5, DMC5, RE2/3 Remakes, and so on running on the Deck never ceases to amaze me.

Can't wait for the Steam Deck 2. I will buy it day one.

Also while the Steam Deck is a good product, you can truly see how much of a first gen device this is. It's a real chonker especially compared to a Switch OLED.

Steam Deck 2 will very likely have a much better design, OLED display and an Phoenix Point APU (Zen4+RDNA3) which will run current gen only games.

I would not recommend buying the Steam Deck right now if you want longevity, as it will be extremly limited by its 4c/8t CPU when cross gen ends.

I would not recommend buying the Steam Deck right now if you want longevity, as it will be extremly limited by its 4c/8t CPU when cross gen ends.

Good enough for a handheld. Seeing it do Spiderman that close to PS5, im not worried for current deck users.
However i’d wait for the next Deck too, if id be intrested in such a device, mostly for a better screen. The Decks lcd is like going with a iphone se.

Back