Steam Controler Oct 16th Up for preorder/ youtube ad

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
So this happened

Its $50 and can be reserved at gamestop or through valve directly.

I think I might head to the store and preorder it . It looks like it will be really good on my surface when I want to play xcom or civ.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/?cc=us

Also it uses AA batteries which is awesome. My eneloops will love this.

• Dual trackpads
  • HD haptics
  • Analog stick
  • Dual-stage triggers, each with 10° of travel, a magnetic flux sensor, and a tactile switch
  • Gyroscope and accelerometer sensors enabling tilt-to-steer racing wheel functionality and other motion-controlled input
  • Configurable controls
  • Local multiplayer capability, as supported by games
  • Wired or wireless (dual mode)
  • USB 2.0 via Micro USB port (cable not included)
  • Estimated 5 meters of wireless communications range. Actual results may vary.
  • Provides up to 80 hours of standard game play using the included AA batteries during preliminary testing. Battery life will vary based on usage and other factors, such as type of batteries used. Actual results may vary.

Pre-ordered out of curiosity. It'll be interesting to see how well these things can simulate a trackball. If the precision is there and players have a few months to practice I could see this being a viable mouse replacement for playing FPS on the couch.

SKANGIU.gif

seems good

Finally something to replace my wired X360 controller on the PC!
$50 is a good price for Steam Controller, now I just need time to play games after it's released to see if it really is that good :)

But seriously, better than mouse and keyboard in competitive FPS? I doubt it! True test to gauge this - Quake III Arena match!

mmmh how can I try it ?
not going to buy something without trying it first !

I got this and the link. Probably will regret it but cheap enough to try and find out. Being able to stream console ports to my tv would be a nice option. I'm curious to see how often I do it.

Good price, AA Batteries and very customizable for each type of game. I think this is a winner for my HTPC Steam streaming setup to replace my Xbox controller.

At least they have some more details on Steam Link now. It has 802.3ac 2x2 but only a 100Mbps Ethernet? Ugh. Would it really have added that much cost/complexity going 1Gbit?

hmm, i use my DS4 with my tablet and wireless is nice (so i can use the only USB port for external HDD). nice steam controller can be wired and wireless.

At least they have some more details on Steam Link now. It has 802.3ac 2x2 but only a 100Mbps Ethernet? Ugh. Would it really have added that much cost/complexity going 1Gbit?
Probably less than a dollar. But 100mbps is fast enough for streaming (and still miles better than the best wifi) so I'm not bothered.

Probably less than a dollar. But 100mbps is fast enough for streaming (and still miles better than the best wifi) so I'm not bothered.
I can push 90mbps on full quality streaming across my gbit network. That's unlocked bandwidth constraints and slightly higher latency so I don't expect many to actually use that amount of bandwidth.

Here's a question. The steam controller is supposed to work in any OS, but does it work outside of Steam? They say you need to be in Steam Big Picture mode to edit, save, switch controller settings.

That. Is. Heresy!

Back when I played FPS more seriously I actually knew of a couple high level players in the scene that used a trackball (I think it was those index finger tiny trackballs). I honestly wouldn't have known they weren't mouse users if I hadn't been told - they were able to do fast rocket jumps, flick shots and all the other goodies normally attributed to high sensitivity mouse users. Makes sense though I guess that as long as you have some kind of precise, direct/1:1 input scheme that the ceiling on how good you can be will simply be down to practice and personal ability. That's not to say of course that Valve's touchpad will be able to simulate a trackball well enough to do that, but it's possible. The downside in these touchpads working very well is that there may end up being some resistance from analog stick lovers not wanting to change but also not wanting to get wrecked in multiplayer.

Here's a question. The steam controller is supposed to work in any OS, but does it work outside of Steam? They say you need to be in Steam Big Picture mode to edit, save, switch controller settings.
That's a good question. A fallback mode to Xbox Controller compatibility.

I didn't know they built anything less than gigabit today. Damn.

Back