Starfield [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

A voiced protagonist isn't always a good thing. I'd say that in the games I've played maybe 1 in 20 voiced protagonists actually have decent voice acting that I won't immediately skip. Even worse is when the writing for the protagonist's lines is completely at odds with how I'm playing the protagonist.

This is especially true in a game where the player creates a character. In this situation the voices that the developer provides (if there's more than 1!!!) don't match the character that I've created in any way, shape or form. And OMG that is so annoying whenever the protagonist then opens their mouth to say something in game. And since voice talent can be expensive, there's usually only 1 voice provided per sex! So there's absolutely Zero chance that the voice will match the character that I've created.

BTW - this is just offering a different perspective. I completely understand why some people might like voice acting for the protagonist.
I loved games like bg1, bg2 or even dragon age origins without voice of main protagonist but some old mechanics/solutions should be just left. After so many briliant narrative games and even rpg like Witcher 3 I can't belive studios didn't notice how immersive breaking it is. Cdprojekt showed that you can have proper narration with protagonist creation. I couldn't even play far cry 5 when I saw he can't speak and in Metro Exodus it was just as bad. Sure I'm more into narrative games and dont even care about character creation so probably for most bethesda fans it doesnt matter.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fallout 5 is already in some form of production. I'm guessing Elder Scrolls is sometime in 2024/25 and Fallout would be in 2026/27 in time for the 30th anniversary.
There is no way Bethesda are going to release Starfield in 2023, then Elder Scrolls 6 (which is in pre-production) within two years then Fallout 5 within two years of that. If Bethesda begin rushing games out to meet arbitrary dates or to feed GamePass, the games will be trash.

I am confident that we'll see a Fallout 3 and New Vegas remaster, and possibly other non-Bethesda Fallout spin-off produced by another studio but there is no way we're seeing Fallout 5 before 2030 at the absolute earliest. :nope: Todd Howard has said that the Bethesda pre-production phase is ideas and story and concepts but they also review how new and evolving mechanics are received in recent games, so fundamentals of gameplay can't really been gone into in detail util Starfield has been out a while and people have had a chance to spend hundreds of hours with it. After launch, Bethesda's core team will be working on six months of patches and the content team will be working on DLC.

Elder Scrolls 6 is not going into full production for 9-12 months after Starfield's launch, and that's anywhere between 3-7 years of work.

There is no way Bethesda are going to release Starfield in 2023, then Elder Scrolls 6 (which is in pre-production) within two years then Fallout 5 within two years of that. If Bethesda begin rushing games out to meet arbitrary dates or to feed GamePass, the games will be trash.

I am confident that we'll see a Fallout 3 and New Vegas remaster, and possibly other non-Bethesda Fallout spin-off produced by another studio but there is no way we're seeing Fallout 5 before 2030 at the absolute earliest. :nope: Todd Howard has said that the Bethesda pre-production phase is ideas and story and concepts but they also review how new and evolving mechanics are received in recent games, so fundamentals of gameplay can't really been gone into in detail util Starfield has been out a while and people have had a chance to spend hundreds of hours with it. After launch, Bethesda's core team will be working on six months of patches and the content team will be working on DLC.

Elder Scrolls 6 is not going into full production for 9-12 months after Starfield's launch, and that's anywhere between 3-7 years of work.

In able to do that you would need Acti/Blizz king resources with like 6-7 studios working on COD all the time. I think you are right and F5 will be most prob next next gen with this timeline.

I'm fairly agnostic the immurshions of either approach, but do find there's a bit of friction to voiced player characters. I just had to read the text option. I don't need it read out again!

On the flip side, the way it works in Mass Effect is fun. I still tend to read and skip the voiced reply though.

This is me in general for almost all pure dialogue. I have subtitles on and just skip as soon as I've read the lines for almost all dialogue which is way before they actually say it. The most annoying thing with dialogue for me is if it's not granularly skippable in sync with the subtitles.

I'm not sure how much of this is from ingrained habit and how much is due to being pressed by time constraints.

Bethesda has been so vague when it comes to Starfield that I had no expectations for its reveal at not-E3 this year, and yet it still somehow managed to be a massively disappointing showcase. At least we actually know what Starfield is now: it's ugly No Man's Sky.

With every single revelation, it just got closer and closer to Hello Games' big cosmic sandbox, but with an aesthetic that's impenetrably dull and gloomy. You can craft! You can build! You can explore! Yes, it is indeed a modern videogame. One of the first things our unknown space explorer does when they land on one of Starfield's Mass Effect-looking worlds is laser off some resources from a rock. Then it's time for an unconvincing shootout. After keeping it under wraps for so long, I'd expected at least one surprise—but nope.
Undoubtedly the highlight of the whole presentation was Todd Howard announcing that you can fly your spaceship as if it was this entirely unexpected feature. In a game called Starfield. Where you explore alien worlds. With a spaceship. Similarly, the revelation that there's 1,000 planets to explore elicited a chuckle. It's the new "you can climb that mountain". Then we got a taste of these worlds and the wonders they contain: a space port, an ice planet, a desert planet, a barren planet, another barren planet. The thrills never end.

I'm absolutely in the mood for another Bethesda RPG, but this generic-looking crafty space sim is doing nothing for me.

Wes Fenlon, Senior Editor: I'm right there with you, Fraser. I wouldn't be so negative about the number of planets(opens in new tab) if Starfield didn't just look so dang bland.

Was there any confirmation that the reveal footage was captured on XBSX/S GDK or PC?

Every Bethesda game looks a little generic and bland IMO, but they are deep games and I'm sure Starfield will be no different and do extremely well, just like Skyrim before it.

Every Bethesda game looks a little generic and bland IMO, but they are deep games and I'm sure Starfield will be no different and do extremely well, just like Skyrim before it.
Agreed.

I don't see Starfield reveal as being that much different than the FO4 reveal. The biggest difference I recall is that Starfield doesn't seem to have a similar RPG combat mechanic that FO is known for.

I mean isn't that what big Bethesda franchises are known for? Their breadth? The size of their games and the broad level of mechanics involved often means any one aspect will not be as fully fleshed as more narrowly focused titles.

Last edited:
Late to the party, but I have to say that the presentation ticked all the right boxes for me! I am excited. Looks very nice so far, all fingers crossed that this launches in a decent bugfree(?) state. I also liked the art style of it and the overall graphics. I hope the gameplay and story is engaging - my new benchmark is Elden Ring.

I wonder if Bethesda are using some Machine Learning algorithms like DALL-E to try and flesh out all those planets and get away from a bland generic look, given the humungous amount of content likely required.

I wonder if Bethesda are using some Machine Learning algorithms like DALL-E to try and flesh out all those planets and get away from a bland generic look, given the humungous amount of content likely required.

I'd say that's unlikely from what they've shown. It looks like the usual heightmap + scattering of hand crafted objects. Also they've said its an iteration on what they've done before, rather than being all excitable about ML in discussion.

The game seems like the next Skryrim to me, which is probably a good thing for most people. For me that's a decent thing, because Skyrim is only an 8/10 game for me.

Elder Scrolls 6 was announced June of 2018. It's already been 4 years since the announcement so if like I said a release in 2024/25 would give 6-7 years of total dev time from the announcement. That seems roughly right for an RPG. I mean do you think Bethesda only has a single team to work on these games? I am sure there has been a core group working on Elder scrolls for more than 4 years. It may balloon up in terms of head count closer to the end. But I'd be surprised if they didn't have at least 2 teams working on these games.

Elder Scrolls 6 was announced June of 2018. It's already been 4 years since the announcement so if like I said a release in 2024/25 would give 6-7 years of total dev time from the announcement. That seems roughly right for an RPG.
I think you need to be looking at the release cadence of games from Bethesda Game Studio's core team. When Starfield releases in 2023, the previous game, Fallout 4, would have been released eight years previously. Fallout 4 development began in 2009 so spent six years in development. Todd Howard has said that Starfield has been something they've work on for 25 years. Remember that Fallout 76 was developed a different team entirely; Bethesda Game Studios Austin - previously BattleCry Studios before Zenimax acquired them.

The core team's release cadence has only been getting wider for fifteen years.
2006 Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion.
2008 Fallout 3 (2 years)
2011 Elder Scrolls V Skyrim (3 years)
2015 Fallout 4 (4 years)
2023 Starfield (8 years)

A return a two-year release cadence is an unreasonable expectation. For Elder Scrolls VI to be realised ion 2024-25 most of the team would need to be working on it right now but in January it was confirmed as being in pre-production (as in not being produced) and most of the team will be working on Starfield, then they'll be fixing Starfield and making DLC for Starfield.

25 years? It's either has been in multiple development hells or been paused / laughished in some early phases or both....

I think you need to be looking at the release cadence of games from Bethesda Game Studio's core team. When Starfield releases in 2023, the previous game, Fallout 4, would have been released eight years previously. Fallout 4 development began in 2009 so spent six years in development. Todd Howard has said that Starfield has been something they've work on for 25 years. Remember that Fallout 76 was developed a different team entirely; Bethesda Game Studios Austin - previously BattleCry Studios before Zenimax acquired them.

The core team's release cadence has only been getting wider for fifteen years.
2006 Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion.
2008 Fallout 3 (2 years)
2011 Elder Scrolls V Skyrim (3 years)
2015 Fallout 4 (4 years)
2023 Starfield (8 years)

A return a two-year release cadence is an unreasonable expectation. For Elder Scrolls VI to be realised ion 2024-25 most of the team would need to be working on it right now but in January it was confirmed as being in pre-production (as in not being produced) and most of the team will be working on Starfield, then they'll be fixing Starfield and making DLC for Starfield.

We are just going to disagree. IN 7 years Bethesda was able to release 3 rpgs but now we are going to expect one rpg a decade from them?

I guess time will tell which of us is correct.

I decided to write about this here instead of in other threads.

Starfield is basically Skyrim in space with some extra gameplay elements. Ordinarily that would get everyone super excited, but instead tons of people are picking on the reveal footage. Why? Because it's not releasing on PS5 and is now owned by MS. Skyrim wasn't exactly a framerate and graphical showpiece in its day either on console, especially on older consoles. Bethesda games have always been a little buggy and somewhat bland because of their huge scope. Starfield is no different. This isn't surprising. Neither is the disappointing media coverage.

I decided to write about this here instead of in other threads.

Starfield is basically Skyrim in space with some extra gameplay elements. Ordinarily that would get everyone super excited, but instead tons of people are picking on the reveal footage. Why? Because it's not releasing on PS5 and is now owned by MS. Skyrim wasn't exactly a framerate and graphical showpiece in its day either on console, especially on older consoles. Bethesda games have always been a little buggy and somewhat bland because of their huge scope. Starfield is no different. This isn't surprising. Neither is the disappointing media coverage.

It's just what it is. I was reading in another forum that Microsoft shouldn't pay for timed exclusives just to put them on game pass cause they can still be game pass day one if they came to ps5. But it seems to be fine if games like ff7 remake are timed exclusives on the sony platform.

It's weird double standard console war bullshit.

Expect to see this for all bethesda and activation/blizzard games that are exclusive to the xbox/pc going forward

Starfield is basically Skyrim in space with some extra gameplay elements. Ordinarily that would get everyone super excited, but instead tons of people are picking on the reveal footage. Why? Because it's not releasing on PS5 and is now owned by MS.

If this is the case, why are people in this thread who don't even own a PlayStation saying they were underwhelmed by what was shown? This is not about platforms, this is just about what was shown underwhelmed a lot of people. Starfield is one of my most anticipated games and I was underwhelmed. As I said in an earlier post, what they showed (gun fights, dogfighting) isn' t the appeal for BGS's games to me; it's the exploration and that really is difficult to capture in a fifteen minute demo.

Back