STARCRAFT 2 coming

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by PatrickL, May 19, 2007.

1. PatrickL

Veteran

Crappy graphics never made a good gameplay :) But when you balance things in a game that will have a huge multiplayer part, a part that made the success of the first game you better focus more on the gameplay and have the better graphics you can while not damaging the main selling point .

2. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

Wasn't there an announcement stating Blizzard was also working on a completely new MMO, not Warcraft or Starcraft related?

Blizzard has it's hands full.

3. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Hell, it's about time !
    :)

4. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

And it`s pockets even fuller...I think they can handle more than just about anyone in the industry WRT development. Also because of their perfectionist attitude WRT development and the ability to spend as much time as possible developing the stuff, without publishers sending electric shocks to their reproductive organs, I have full faith in them.

5. Sindre

Regular

6. Star_Hunter

Newcomer

7. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Well, Blizzard is owned, they've just simply proven that given enough time you can make a supremely good game that sales extremely well. Blizzard has like 3 spots in the 10 time all time best selling PC games I believe, you really can not mess with that. Plus when you have a money cow like WoW that is showing no signs of slowing after a few years... well you better just listen to the company, as Blizzard does know best.

I love Blizzard though, they are about quality and could give a damn less if quality takes a extra year or two.

8. Rolf N

Rolf N Recurring Membmare
    Veteran

I concur totally.
    Starcraft is so deep and differentiates the three factions so well, and still manages to have excellent balance and lots of valid approaches. Even if only the Koreans loved that game, which isn't actually the case, they'd do so for pretty good reasons.

And I can clearly see some changes there beyond just shining it up for current technology. That Protoss ground unit that can traverse cliffs seems like a pretty big deal, to name just one obvious thing.

It's a slight bummer that it didn't turn out to be Diablo 3, but between the two Starcraft II does seem like the correct choice of next project.

9. hoom

Veteran

Hmm, I guess I hoped they might take Starcraft in the TA/SupCom direction ie huge! but nope, it seems to be Starcraft in 3d & with most of the units not looking right :???: (wtf, marines with shield & bayonet?!)

10. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Why would Blizzard completely change the direction of the game? Starcraft II main goal is to be Starcraft but.... better. Refine it further, introduce new units, bring 3D, etc. They'd lose nearly everything if they went the way of TA/SupCom.

11. hoom

Veteran

Because bringing in new units to the constrained tightly balanced ecosystem of Starcraft without making the scope much bigger means that it will be very claustrophobic without losing a bunch of the classics.

I'd have preferred the same old units done in 3D but with proper grouping/waypoints, bigger maps & something like 1000 unit max.

12. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

Why would Blizzard do something the way a semi-shitty lukewarm no soul no personality game did?(Yes, I think SupCom is mostly boring crap, but that's just MHO, and I do respect the ppl who love that game)

13. Rolf N

Rolf N Recurring Membmare
    Veteran

Blizzard RTSes have never been about ultimate mass carnage, that had been covered by the C&C franchise since the beginning of time, and now ample other RTSes go in that direction. The Blizzards have their thing going for them, and they should stick to it.
    A number of new units here and there is of course more work for Blizzard to balance things back out, and more depth for players to wrap their heads around. If you look at what Broodwar did, it isn't unreasonable to expect it may work out.

14. Mummy

Regular

Oh yes!

The FMV quality is zomg :shock:

I wonder why Blizzard hasn't made a movie yet.

"Will there be a console version of StarCraft II?
    StarCraft II is being developed for the PC. We have no current plans to bring the game to any console platform."

#34 Mummy, May 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007
  15. MulciberXP

Regular

Whats funny is that as soon as the speculation started that it might be SC2, I said to myself, please Blizzard, dont make a piece of crap game like SupCom or C&C, where everything is imba and controls/strategy loose. Blizzard has given SC fans EXACTLY what they wanted. What other company respects their fans this much. Hell, they could have sold out and made SC an MMO or made an SC for the NDS, and made a boatload of cash. But they stuck to their roots. I commend them.

16. SugarCoat

Veteran

wonder if they'll make the AI smart enough to finally destroy supply depots that are choke point blocking

17. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Has little to do with smarts, it just has to be included as a special case exception to it's behavior to preserve some buildings. The best game AI is the one with the most specifically programmed special case exceptions. Anytime I hear about revolutionary AI I think "oh, they were too lazy/cheap to do enough scripting".

18. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Blizzard does what it does best - their games aren't really innovative in the sense of bringing us new ideas etc, but the thing in their games is that they take what others and themselves did already - they just do it better, they polish the gameplay etc like no-one else, and that's what makes their games so damn good and addictive.
    They're not innovative, they just do everything better than others.

19. soylent

Newcomer

About a third of the sales of the first star craft were in korea, so rather scalable system specs for the sequel is not so surprising considering Blizzards historical tendency not to target high end.

20. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

Those 4 minutes took them 1 year to complete... with about 20-25 people. do the math ;)