Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Unknown Soldier, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Read more: https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...s-the-legendary-tale-remade-on-playstation-5/

2. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

I'm still puzzled at Disney / Lucasfilm giving the key to the castle to Aspyr, whose only credited work so far are MacOS, iOS and Android ports of PC games.

The fact that the Aspyr rep said they hired a bunch of industry veterans and even people who worked on the original game is somewhat reassuring, but there shouldn't be a lack of high profile AAA studios willing to pick this up.
    So why Aspyr?

3. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

Perhaps because part of their credited work in your first clause actually includes KotOR (and the sequel, as well as several other old Star Wars games)?

DSoup likes this.
  4. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

They're still just ports. They've had no involvement at all in art direction, story, gameplay, etc.
    All they did on KOTOR 1 & 2 was to port the PC game to Android. Their only creative input was to decide where to put the virtual buttons in the touch panel for mobile devices.

milk and BRiT like this.
  5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

So, pretty much like Bluepoint Games or Nixxes. They also originally started out just making mostly straight up ports and eventually started adding in more embellishments in their later ports.

So, now Aspyr will get a chance to show what it can do when given a large project. The only thing I'm concerned with is Aspyr saying that they'll be tinkering with the story in order to update it to be relevant for a modern audience while attempting to keep bits and pieces of the original story that fans of the game love.

As a KOTOR fan since its launch, the story was the main attraction of the game and I felt the story that it told was timeless in the Star Wars universe. Basically that it was relevant and could easily slot into any era of humanity.

I'm a bit worried with that wording that the Aspyr representative used in their post show interview, especially with Disney holding the rights to Star Wars, that the original story will be watered down, neutered, PC-ified and made "woke."

What I would love to see, however, would be more racial choices for the player character, human and alien. I wouldn't mind going through the original as a non-human.

Regards,
    SB

Rootax and Johnny Awesome like this.
  6. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran

The Star Wars IP is a mixed bag. You're asking creatives to work within very narrow creative guidelines that Disney will allow. Sometimes you do find a team really keen on an IP, like Insomniac were stoked to work on Spider-Man, but it sounds like Marvel extended them a lot of latitude, which is something Disney are not known to do for their valuable properties.

I tried to play KOTOR last year but the very classic RNG/math, which you really need to understand to make good gear/weapon/skill choices, is not popular anymore. This looks like a remaster for a new/modern audience. It's not aimed at those who already played it, because that game is still readily repayable for people who want that experience.

#6 DSoup, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  7. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

8. Riddlewire

Regular

RPSC?
    I don't have permission to access that link. And Google tells me that RPSC stands for "Rajasthan Public Service Commission".

9. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

10. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Ooof, listening to a podcast right now and pretty much everyone agrees that if the remake is a 1 to 1 remake regarding the story, it'll be great. But if they fuck with the story, it'll probably be shit.

I'm with them, what made the game so great wasn't so much the gameplay, which was pretty average. What made KOTOR so incredibly fantastic and memorable was its story and how well it captured the Star Wars universe. So yeah, a lot of people are very afraid that Aspyr will fuck up the remake since it sounds like they want to tinker with the story.

It doesn't help that it doesn't look like anyone associated with the creation of the first game is associated with this remake.

Here's what I'd love to see. Obsidian getting a chance to remake and FINISH what they started with KOTOR 2. That game was almost one of the best games ever made, but they ran out of time and money and so it was released in a buggy/rushed/unfinished state. I'd be over the moon if Obsidian were allowed to remake and finish KOTOR 2.

Regards,
    SB

11. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Your reply seems reasonable to me. If they're going to remake KOTOR, then keep it KOTOR. If it's going to be a "new game" with some assets and levels partially shared with the KOTOR storyline, then make it a new game or something.

Bleh.

12. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I just want a remake not a reimagining. I understand that there isn't much creativity in the world anymore but there is such a huge time line in star wars why not make a new story with a new game and not put it out as a beloved game. The reason is the same thing with hollywood movies , they know it wont do well without an established name behind it.