Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

jvd

Banned
I've been looking foward to this game but can't seem to find new info on it. Is it still coming out for both the xbox and pc. Anyone play it or see it at e3 ?

There was a good preview of it at Gamespy the other day, but I can't find the link.. sounds like Baldurs Gate with a Star Wars license and AD&D rule set, not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't sound like it'll break new ground :p

zurich said:
There was a good preview of it at Gamespy the other day, but I can't find the link.. sounds like Baldurs Gate with a Star Wars license and AD&D rule set, not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't sound like it'll break new ground :p

Doesn't need to. As long as its a very good rpg with star wars in it i'm happy . :)

btw anyone know about the pc version.

Expected release PC-side is October right now. Certainly looks like a great game, but I'm getting more and more miffed by PC games that should be coming out on PC first and foremost, being--well--PC games, yet going Xbox-a-ways first. Bleh...

cthellis42 said:
Expected release PC-side is October right now. Certainly looks like a great game, but I'm getting more and more miffed by PC games that should be coming out on PC first and foremost, being--well--PC games, yet going Xbox-a-ways first. Bleh...

good to know cause after beta testing swg i wanted to cry ...

but I'm getting more and more miffed by PC games that should be coming out on PC first and foremost, being--well--PC games, yet going Xbox-a-ways first. Bleh...

Don't be miffed, it has little to do with anything but more money. You'll likely garner more sales from a console game then you would from a PC title, due to the huge amount of pirating on the PC. Also, the price point on PC games are not what they once were on average.

"good to know cause after beta testing swg i wanted to cry ..."

every beta tester in the world said that.. but, thats because it was a beta.
the final version came out to be an amazing product, noone believed it could be done, but the only people you hear griping, are the ones that have only played the beta..

the final version came out to be an amazing product
I've seen my friend play the final product (he purchased it). I don't think it's amazing. It is, however, very good. It's definately nowhere close to the orginal vision of the game though. SOE left so many features out in order to get the game to market as quick as possible. These features are going to be implemented in staggered patches as time goes on though.

i´m really looking forward to Kotor too. In every preview i read they say is looking better than expected and that voice acting and history are good, and the graphics look great too ( hope they get rid of the slowdowns ).

Xbox release date i think is still not official but seems like is coming out this month in Usa, and August in europe.

the gamespy preview of kotor
http://www.gamespy.com/previews/july03/starwarskotorxbox/

and the videos from ign preview for non insiders.
http://streamingmovies.ign.com/xbox/knightsoldrepub1_01_free.wmv
http://streamingmovies.ign.com/xbox/knightsoldrepub1_02_free.wmv
http://streamingmovies.ign.com/xbox/knightsoldrepub1_03_free.wmv

and another older one:
http://www.hardwired.hu/dl.hw?id=1523&dl=1

CaptainHowdy said:
"good to know cause after beta testing swg i wanted to cry ..."

every beta tester in the world said that.. but, thats because it was a beta.
the final version came out to be an amazing product, noone believed it could be done, but the only people you hear griping, are the ones that have only played the beta..

yea the 75 i spent on the collectors editon hopeing it would be good and the 2 weeks i've been playing it will say other wise .

DeathKnight said:
SOE left so many features out in order to get the game to market as quick as possible. These features are going to be implemented in staggered patches as time goes on though.

"So many," of course, being basically mounts and advanced city structures/functions, both more late-game features that they're trying to do RIGHT, rather than just make sure they "exist". (I hardly count Dark Jedi, since it will probably take a LONG time before people can open their Force Sensitive slots, and even longer before they can keep 'em alive long enough to become a knight and actually TURN dark. ;) Meanwhile they basically just have to determine what their role is to be in the universe and how to keep them balanced, rather than have them turn into uber griefing machines.)

They're focusing mainly on the stability problems right now, but I don't forsee them lasting too much longer, and we'll probably get some extra decent content (since they're trying to do the AC-style "monthly story" events, they'll likely have fresh adds and presents to bring in as well) and the mount/vehicle system pretty shortly, since it's the foundation of their space expansion anyway. Player cities I'd MUCH rather see them spend the proper time on to make sure it can come out right. Meanwhile the housing system is already pretty cool and robust, and people can pack up and move the moment they have to anyway, so it shouldn't cause them problems anyway.

Actually, I'm remembering the third major thing, which is player missions, which I hope comes out first. They need to fill out the missions a bit more, especially for the non-combative classes, so they have reasonable options for cash-acquisition outside of tips or having to sell their merchandise. Player-created missions I'd love to see as well, but will be fine with the lack thereof until they are SURE it can't be 'sploited.

Meanwhile, the game is starting out rather huge, and offering a LOT more breadth and unique character than the other mainstream MMORPGs are to each other, so unless you're a brutally single-minded player you're unlikely to run out of things to do before they put in more anyway. ;)

---

MY personal issue comes from what seems to have been shifty marketting during early statements, since it seemed like everyone was supposed to be able to start off very-much advanced, spread out how they want, and would go from there. The whole "you have enough points to do X, Y, Z when you start!" deal. Technically you DO have all the points, but since you can't access them until you acquire experience and train... Still a lot of treadmilling to do.
But ah well. At the moment, that seems to be what the MMORPGs are about--personal advancement--and without a long struggle for players TO get some personal triumph from, they'd likely lose people to disinterest quickly. You're never as "n00b" as a level 1 EQ character, though, and you never get as "uber" as all the games are wont to do as well, so I appreciate the scaling more--even if it's STILL a long climb. ^_^;;

"I've seen my friend play the final product (he purchased it). I don't think it's amazing. It is, however, very good. It's definately nowhere close to the orginal vision of the game though. SOE left so many features out in order to get the game to market as quick as possible. These features are going to be implemented in staggered patches as time goes on though."

all that was left out was Space Exploration and Vehicles..
the housing and such were not supposed to make it, but in the end they did(just sold my first deed for 10k yesterday)

and, your not going to see how amazing it is in a day or two of seeing it.. in fact, only people who are very familiar with the game are going to have a good time.. I can see the idiots having a bad time, coming in, not talking to anyone, just going out fighting Womprats alone... while I go join a group of 20 people and take down Banthas and Dewbacks for large experience gains. Its a social game, and the antisocial people will all quit before this month is done.

My thoughts on it still stand. All I think is that it's a very good game, nothing more. My friend was actually with a few of his CS buddies in the game and was getting help with everything. On top of that they were using a separate proggie for voice comunication which helped out a lot.

DeathKnight said:
Beats the hell out of typing everything out and makes it worlds easier to get stuff accomplished.

in this type of game, no it does not, its based around typing
the game has over 5,000 typed in commands to make things easier
programming macros is all a part of making typing shorter..

voicechat in an MMORPG is just plain stupid, taking character is whats its all about, if people cant type fast enough, they have no future in this country, computers are a part of everything in this world now, if typing "hey guys, lets kill that dewback" is too much to handle(I know I can type it faster than you can say it), there is no hope for the future...
and the emotionial abilitys this game allows everyone to portray are something else that are missed without typing(you may add expressions with any types sentence, and the game automatically does it with words it recognizes)

It just says to me the enjoyment factor is minimum, because you and your friends are the Xbox/Quake crowd, who have no idea about PC gaming culture, the joy of role playing, and not knowing your way around a keyboard well enough to communicate is a sure sign that I'm not wrong about that

Actually, the voice chat beats the hell out of typing and makes it worlds easier to get stuff accomplished in the game. Trust me, I witnessed it firsthand.

typing = talking to any of the 3500 on the server
voice= talking to a few of you friends and ruining the roleplaying experience.

it works on XBL because the games played are limited to about 8 players before its too laggy(because the console cant effectivly handle more).

but on PC most games have 64 players these days, so only the cliches have thier own little chat parties. In SWG you wont get by well talking to only a few people, hunting parties should be at least 20 people if you are going to do anything worthwhile..

Last night, I was in an army of 60+ people on Starsider, we were the first on that server to bring down a Giant Canyon Krayt Dragon... think I can communicate with the 60 people I am playing with via voicechat? boy would that ever gum up the works...

took us 20 minutes, and about 6-7 people died, but we brought that mofo down, and it was intense, and awesome.. everyone in the group needs to hear commands... groupchat makes it much more efficient, because no voicechat service or Broadband connection in the world can handle that many people.. you think reading is confusing, try listening to 60 people trying to talk at one time..

I feel this game is just not for you or your friends, its a different culture, and you dont understand it, which is why they are making KOTOR

Back