Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by green.pixel, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I don't visit that site but the email I got shows the timeline into 2020 with beta starting Q2 2020.

unnamed.jpg

2. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I've seen people say that since 2013. :shock:

ToTTenTranz, homerdog and Lightman like this.
  3. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

lol man I must be real tired. Yea so then we might not get the game till 2021 in its final state. Hell i'd say its more likely it wont leave beta till 2021. So 9 years from dev start.

Very true. Hopefully this outside investment keeps them on the path

4. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Squadron 42 is supposed to have 28 chapters of which (according to Roberts) a chapter can have several missions. This could be a very extensive single player game. I wonder if that is already too much effort since I do not see much demand for single player titles in the PC market that could justify that. So it would be better to release it simultaneously for the next console generation.

5. manux

Veteran Regular

Only part that interests me is squadron 42. Pay forever more to play online grind no thanks. Don't have interest or time for that.

Give me a solid story to enjoy with a conclusive ending and I'll buy it. I'll always choose quality over quantity.

BRiT likes this.
  6. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

They're stating Q3-Q4 2020 for full release.
    And of course it will slip because for every new "trailer" they'll get millions on selling new and "exlusive" fake spaceships.
    So realistically, don't count on anything before mid-2021 or later.

My current concern is that they'll probably truncate the number of episodes they release for the original backers, to maximize their return of investment (and minimize ours).
    I expect something like 8 of the 24 planned episodes, with ep. 8 ending in a ridiculous cliffhanger

7. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

So Alpha from 2012 to 2020 and then it will go to beta and release by the end of 2020. Yea right lol. I'd say beta in late 2020 with release for holiday 2021. Will make it really easy to port to the new consoles which will be 2-3 years old by then

8. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

Seems like a very aggressive plan ... I could see it being ported to next-next-gen in 2027 / 2028.

homerdog, milk, Davros and 2 others like this.
  9. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Oh I don't think CIG will port it , either they hire someone else or MS/Sony send a team to do it if either of them are interested in it.

10. Davros

Legend

Will it be ready ?

11. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

its gonna be like horizon zero dawn, a post apocalyptic future, where people live like savages, and somewhere in a bunker chris roberts' distant relative will be hard at work finishing star citizen so that the people of earth can be saved.

hoom and Malo like this.
  12. Davros

Legend

13. milk

Veteran Regular

By the time this does launch, it will look dated compared to contemporary games.

14. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Many graphic elements are beeing improved (see roadmaps) and the assets have a better quality than all known games. It is technically much more ambitious than any other title I know. Some ships are more expensive to create than some whole video games. The budget is also very high and it is developed for PC hardware. I doubt it will look outdated. Hardly any video game offers comparable things.

vipa899 likes this.
  15. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯

Sure, when you milk $35 million a year since 2012 from crowd funding, you can get a bit ambitious.

ToTTenTranz likes this.
  16. Theeoo

Newcomer

I think Chris Roberts owes a big debt of gratitude to George Broussard of 3DRealms. Without DNF, these epic AAA development cycles would probably be more contentious among the gaming press but DNF trail-blazed the 10 year+ project timeline.

17. Theeoo

Newcomer

Of course the budget is far larger, but then obviously the scope is much bigger too.

18. Davros

Legend

Bollocks

19. milk

Veteran Regular

Paradigms shift with new console gens. Even if everything now is relatively beyond the detail level of contemporary titles, after the transition to next gen matures, the average game graphic quality will have leapfrogged what this title is doing now. It will look like an extremely detailed last-gen-plus game, but still somewhat last-gennish. But it's ok, by then, it will only take them another 15 years to update their assets to then-current standards, which will also not be current standards anymore by the time they are done.

20. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer