Stanford's Mike Houston on F@H GPU client

Discussion in 'GPGPU Technology & Programming' started by Geo, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

BRiT can you explain that a little better? More words in the examples? I didn't really follow it that well at that thread. Are people running multiple clients on one CPU (one per CPU core) to do that, or what?

2. Bohdy

Regular

Some people really need to re-evaluate why they fold. Just to beat the other team? Or to help science?

3. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

On the one hand I agree with you, and personally I'll fold what seems best able to meet the scientific need and not f'up my personal computing situation.

On the other hand, that attitude clearly misses that the points/team competitive dynamic has been a decided feature of the distributed computing model from the beginning. It was designed to be. It has clearly been included by the administrators that way to increase participation in every significant long-term distributed computing project I'm aware of.

If it's a monster, it's a monster of their own creating.

4. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

I have been running the client for a couple of days. Just wondering if anyone else is having an issue, where everything seems to pause every 4 seconds.

5. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Working great here on Cat 6.5 since 10/3.

6. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

That's a nonsensical point of view, when it comes to something such as F@H. Folding is not a competition, it's about actually getting work done... Anyone who's folding on the slower CPU merely to get more goddamn POINTS ought to have his toes stomped to dust for being such a f****g lamer.

7. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

I agree with you Guden Oden. However the numerous insanely huge teams and the folding farms that have been created by users all seem to think it's about competition. Since the competition and points is something natively supported and built into the F@H system, the F@H creators need to get it right. As it stands now, the points they award are not appropriate. That will prevent a vast majority of people out there from GPU Folding and keep them on CPU Folding.

GEO said it well here:

8. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Especially since you need to buy a $250+ video card that the vast majority of folders probably wouldn't otherwise buy. Headless diskless folding on a cheap microATX C2D box is a lot more economical per point. I'm actually convinced that the reason for the point oddness is just this. They don't want to instantly obsolete those without the interest in buying such a card.

9. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

Er, does it run under Vista? Guess I'll find out...

Nope, it doesn't. :( How long till it does?

10. mhouston

mhouston A little of this and that
    Regular

Some people have it running with 6.5 cats under Vista. I think Kombatant over at Rage3D has a screen shot. We haven't tested much under Vista yet as it's still undergoing changes, and things dont't really get interesting there until DX10 software and hardware support. We know from some quick testing that there seems to be ~25% performance hit running under Vista. We know the drivers aren't fully massaged yet, but the OS wants the GPU for stuff now as well, at least running Aero. But, since Microsoft has started to commit to better support for non-traditional uses of the graphics pipe, I bet this will be smoothed out.

11. ElMoIsEviL

Newcomer

Well I have my VPU folding away as well as two Cores in a separate machine. Now if only they can get rid of that CPU overhead in order to allow peeps to run one or both of their CPU cores as well as the VPU.

12. Chris123234

Regular

13. Chris123234

Regular

The goodness-of-your-heart and competition are two entirely different concepts that attract 2 different demographics to the same cause. You can't really bitch about the ethics of something that in the end is putting out more results.

14. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Did they bump points a bit? I've had three days in a row that have been higher than they were.

15. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Yes. GPU WU's have been increased some more (up to 6x) because they are now recommending that, due to the CPU utilisation of the GPU client, a CPU client should be removed if you are using a GPU client (i.e. single core: 1 GPU client, no CPU; dual core: 1 GPU, 2 CPU; etc.).

16. otto1939

Newcomer

cpu needs to poll gpu

Is there a hardware inerrupt mechanism to communicate between cpu and gpu? The polling implemented for the FAH gpu core seems to require the better part of a cpu. That does not make sense. Is this due to a Microsoft rookie programmer's approach?

17. mhouston

Regular

We don't know if it's an issue with the Microsoft code or the ATI code. However, GPGPU on Nvidia hardware under Windows XP shows similar CPU loading. I haven't done testing under Vista, but some people on the folding forums have been testing the client there. (note this is unsupported and bugs have shown up only under Vista with the checkpointing code, but if you don't kill and restart the client, things seem okay). Even with the current DX9 path, the CPU load under Vista is reported to be much lower.

However, part of the issue is that we still have to do some amount of readback from the GPU, and the current APIs (GL/DX) don't allow direct manipulation and setup of the DMA engines. With lower level access to the hardware, if the DMA engines are exposed, we should be able to do better. However, we would have to have exclusive control over the GPU, i.e. if you are using the GPU for display *and* folding, there is always context switching going on. However, once again, Vista handles context switching much better.

18. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Since you're here, Mike. . .any word on a timeline for a supported Vista client yet?

19. mhouston

Regular

People are testing the client under Vista in the folding forums right now. It is mostly working, except for checkpoint restarts. For some reason, we can getting the kill signal too late and we commit a partial buffer to the output. Until we can track that down, then we should be good to go. Not sure how long this will take as a few other things are higher priority as Vista isn't public outside of Beta just yet.

20. Jawed

Legend

Geo likes this.