STALKER shadows

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Quitch, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Quitch

Veteran

I bought STALKER and I loved STALKER, but my old rig could never do it justice. But oh now it can, now after five years it's a fresh build:

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33Ghz
    8GB DDR2 1066 RAM
    ATI Radeon 4870X2
    Xonar DX

Muwhaahahahah... STALKER can play with everything maxed and I'm in a happy place.

Except, there's a flaw. STALKER seems to be exhibiting some strange shadow behaviour. Now, I've seen that sort of thing before but it appears to be happening more often than normal. Maybe because I used to use that float32(?) mod and I haven't this time.

It's definately new though, take the crates by the first set of boars. By the tree they're pitch black, I nudge them a bit and suddenly they're crate-like. I walk up the road, and shadows flicker in the bottom right of my screen. I look at some grass by the road, turn to the left and the shadow stretches with me going across the road.

I tried switching the settings around, dropping to Maximum and then High, but the problems continued.

Are there any settings I should be changing to fix this, or reinstalling float32, or are shadows a known issue? The create thing I've never seen before.

2. Davros

Legend

Its god, man was never intended to games like this at max settings

3. Quitch

Veteran

#3 Quitch, Oct 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2008
  4. Kurt

Newcomer

If it's the original STALKER we're talking about, then I was experiencing the same thing as far as the peripheral flicker goes. It is more noticeable in certain levels than others though. I can't remember seeing any black boxes like those in the picture, but maybe I'm wrong. No amount of tweaking short of disabling full dynamic lighting got rid of the flickering shadows. My graphics card is a GTS 640, float32 installed.

5. Quitch

Veteran

Workaround in that topic (and others I've found) seems to work, not noticed any of those shadows so far.

Lordy this game is still awesome, I love the Cordon. Saw a Stalker go down under a pack of dogs, with one proceeding to drag his corpse away. Was heading back from a mission along what I regard as a safe road, only for three boars to break cover and force another pack of dogs into retreat across the road ahead, when I got back to the noob camp I found the guard hiding and a dog occupying the entrance.

I took so long reaching Fox that a bandit came across him and finished him off.

Once I've finished it I think a replay with the SANEX A-LIFE mod is in order :)

6. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Yeah I did that fix for Stalker, prevented the shadow box clipping especially when aiming.

Also can I recommend you the game shortcut command -sjitter ?

Adds jittering to shadows making them look even better. :smile:

7. subhrajit

Newcomer

hi,
    Here's a check list containing the things i'm concerned about:
    _linear_mipmap_linear; is the hd 4850 iceq4 1 GB capable of this?
    _t-junctions; will the problem with t-junctions cause any graphical anamolies?
    _s3tc; is it forced, or is it app controlled? I'd hope for the latter, but i'm not banking on it. I'd like to disable it since i don't notice the difference in frame rate when disabling it.
    _extensions limit; nvidia's drivers have an option to limit the ext; ati's don't. will this cause any problems?
    _conformant texture clamp; nvidia has 3 options; ati has none.

Be sure to let me know=] I'll appreciate it.

#7 subhrajit, Oct 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2008
  8. Davros

Legend

why have you made the exact same post as 2008Iq are you his evil twin ?