Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019-2021]

Just because they haven't talked about it doesn't mean it's not possible. And no one has said anything about how revenue is shared or what the economics behind this are. Maybe they take more than 30% by default since they are shouldering the hardware burden themselves, but if your game uses a fractional GPU that drops to 30 or 20. If you're making a simple indie game like Kine, why would you waste an entire 10TF gpu on that?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...gle-stadia-phil-harrison-majd-bakar-interview

But you've got some very smart people who can produce some very good projections.

Phil Harrison: The GPU that is built into our first generation system is more than 10 teraflops of performance and we will scale up from there.

Is that shared between users or for the single user?

Phil Harrison: That's a single instance.

So if a Vega 56 can do Final Fantasy XV at 4k60 on a PC Medium settings, and the whole GPU is being used for a single Stadia instance... Stadia is DoA. Somehow I don't think the developers using Vulkan will be able to optimize it much more but can only achieve 1080p30 at release?

Well the incentive to have multiple instances on a single GPU would be on Google's end.
If they're doing this, they out-right lied about their specs. Google were explicit that Stadia offered 10 TFs, more power than any console. If you're apportioning that out among multiple users, that's a decidedly alternative fact. Who cares how much power a server has? It's how much you get to use that matters.

Again, if Sony requires periodic validation of downloaded titles, why is that not expressed in the T&Cs? When they sell you a license for £60, why are the terms of that license not clearly spelled out if what you say happens? If it's true that you can buy a game from PSN, install it on your HDD, and then lose access to it after a certain time, the world should be informed. AFAIK license revocation is only for PS+ titles and titles you'll have got a refund for, where the executable remains on the console but the license to use it no longer exists.

I'm not sure of the reason why, but I lost all my US purchased games. Long story short, a while ago someone stole my UK account - after I managed to get it back I installed 2FA on all my accounts. Then earlier this year I got a new job and a mobile phone - got rid of the old mobile. Fast forward and the other day I wanted to play a US game and it was locked, couldn't log in (because the code goes to a dead number).

So they do have a mechanism for locking you out of your purchased games, I believe it happens when they change any part of the T&Cs - you have to log in and agree the new terms - I believe this is what happened to my US games.

They definitely have a mechanism. If you ask for a refund, they need to be able to revoke your license. Built in obsolescence is something different. DSoup is saying MS and Sony are getting a free pass with the same caveats as Stadia. Well, you can't expect the general populace to judge these services based on anything other than what they appear to be. If in the background every license has a time limit, Joe Gamer won't be outraged as they don't know. But then, if that can be proven, Joe Public should be informed because they'd then have to opportunity to rage and get that changed, or at least have their fair vocal complaint. And that'd also make DSoup happy because then MS & Sony would be getting the same stick as Google. ;)

FWIW I don't think they are timed, but I think you have to agree to the latest ts&cs to play the game - if you never went online I believe you would always have access.

Makes me wonder if my old consoles might have the physical codes needed to retrieve my US account?

Again, if Sony requires periodic validation of downloaded titles, why is that not expressed in the T&Cs?

You've read PSN's T&Cs in full? I am impressed. Have a peruse of the section License restrictions and conditions, which makes it clear that licences are on a limited basis. They are not required to say more. Caveat emptor, it's your responsibility to query this. Incidentally, it's remarkably similar to Steam's T&Cs where it is accepted that you can't be in offline mode indefinitely. And I'm sure this is not Sony's call, this is almost certainly what publishers demand.

When they sell you a license for £60, why are the terms of that license not clearly spelled out if what

You don't buy a licence, you enter in a licensing agreement. Which is subject to change. What you pay is irrelevant to the licence, which is divorced from most countries retail statutory rights. When buy digitally you have to click through T&C, when you buy retail, most countries only require the full T&C be referenced (as in a pointer to where the T&C can be read in full) be included on the box. And it is on every box.

If it's true that you can buy a game from PSN, install it on your HDD, and then lose access to it after a certain time, the world should be informed.

Go nuts. Few will care because impacts almost nobody.

Metro Exodus is 4K on Stadia but falls a bit short on performance compared to Xbox One X:

So the best showing on Stadia so far.

4k/30 (unstable, extremely so when there's fog) with compression artifacts that are very noticeable in dark shades...which Metro: Exodus has a LOT of.

Also, the image is overall softer. Compression or using lower resolution assets?

That's a good shot of how the Stadia version is a lot softer than the XBO-X version. The link should take you to the 5:43 mark of the video. Clothing, the floor, the weapon, etc. all are noticeably worse than the XBO-X version.

So, WRT to resolution it's the most impressive title shown thus far. But still short of reaching even XBO-X (which has far less GPU and CPU resources available) in all areas except loading speeds (slightly faster on Stadia).

Streaming to a mobile device like a tablet likely looks quite good. Buuuuuut, how many cellular connections would provide a playable experience and for how long (before hitting hard or soft bandwidth caps)? And we already know that Stadia doesn't play well with Wifi in general.

However, WRT to performance, it's one of the worse examples on Stadia. I wonder if that might be why a lot of games are instead shooting for 1080p?

Regards,
SB

Not a good thing on Stadia from the Metro DF article, runs worse than One X during some scenarios and has additional input latency:

The bulk of play is at the same 30fps as the X, but taxing effects - like transparencies - cause more of a hit to performance than they do on the Microsoft machine. Shoot-outs situated in areas lavish in lighting and fog effects run worse on Stadia, and for a console way ahead in its reported GPU power, it's not quite there. In some scenarios, frame-rate can even drop down to 20fps territory. Add in some stuttering and frame-pacing troubles and it doesn't feel as well optimised as it should be. In similar scenarios on Xbox One X, we're looking at a straight 30fps.

It's also worth noting that input lag in Metro Exodus is noticeably on the high side. Anecdotally speaking, adding around 44-55ms of latency to a game which already had a bit of input lag does it no favours and it makes precise shooting in action scenes very challening. Some games translate to a streaming platform better than others; RPGs and adventure titles with fixed camera tend to work better. Here though, the disconnect between controller and reaction is far more noticeable.​

Stadia: the performance of yesterday tomorrow!
With the added convenience of a more expensive price!

Max 2 years and then a little credit on the playstore as a refund for each game brought.

So partially GearBox but Google can't be without fault for the shitshow that is Borderlands3 on Stadia. They only have features and patches from October 24th and only have a rough promise of early 2020 for when it will be updated. It sounds like they dont even have the server supplied HotFixes like on the other platforms. How bad must their development platform be in order to be so far behind with updates?

We aim to achieve feature parity for all versions of Borderlands 3 early in 2020, but for the moment the version of the game that you play on Stadia has benefitted from the updates and fixes that were released through October 24.

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/...-available-at-special-launch-price-on-stadia/

And to make things worse, today the first DLC for Borderlands 3 is available to all, except for Stadia users.

Gearbox probably did all the latest work on the windows version but didn't want to allocate dev resources to the Stadia version because... who the fuck is going to buy it on Stadia anyway?

Gearbox probably did all the latest work on the windows version but didn't want to allocate dev resources to the Stadia version because... who the fuck is going to buy it on Stadia anyway?
I'm curious if Google will release any kind of sales metrics for Stadia games. They do love numbers and stats after all!!

Back