Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by ultragpu, Jun 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Evidently Phil Harrison with Google had a interview roundup in the UK with press. Eurogamer was there...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-27-dont-expect-games-to-be-cheaper-on-google-stadia

They're going to have a hard time convincing folks that their service is worth paying full price for the game.

Tommy McClain

DavidGraham likes this.
  2. Pixel

Regular

Google Stadia/Xcloud could be a goldmine when it comes to older games that publishers sell online for a few dollars. By taking those games and setting the price on Stadia similarly low in developing countries like India where import tariffs and/or lower GDP put console/PC gaming out of the reach of many.

Imagine Rockstar puts GTA5 for $5 on Google Stadia for India. As their internet infrastructure improves tens of millions of Indians could get into AAA gaming for $5 by play it on Stadia's 1080p free tier.

3. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

How long will Google's 'free tier' be free? The running costs for streaming games are far higher than streaming videos, so a reliance on advertising revenue will require huge amounts of adverts. And a cut on a cheap game sale will only pay for the hardware for so long.

I can't see the business proposition there. Free Stadia makes sense while wanting people to adopt streaming, but at some point it'll have to become financed. Or, the paying tier will have to be super, duper profitable to subsidise the bottom tier.

4. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Services like Game Pass where the user could download the game and play on their own hardware makes more sense for everyone as an opportunity for publishers making some money off sales cratered titles. Like Shifty said, streaming hardware has costs that need to be recouped somehow. How would Stadia's three-tier handle recouping costs, injecting advertisements into your stream? Or is Google gaining your gaming habits and preferences be enough to be worth the sunk costs?

5. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Google also has free data science compute on Google Colab; it uses their Tesla K80s. I mean that shit can't be cheap to be running tons of compute for people for free.

I sort of get the idea of trying to be viral and then swing around and charge subscriptions. But i don't know how long this will last/work for.

#345 iroboto, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019