Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by ultragpu, Jun 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Evidently Phil Harrison with Google had a interview roundup in the UK with press. Eurogamer was there...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-27-dont-expect-games-to-be-cheaper-on-google-stadia

They're going to have a hard time convincing folks that their service is worth paying full price for the game.

Tommy McClain

DavidGraham likes this.
  2. Pixel

Regular

Google Stadia/Xcloud could be a goldmine when it comes to older games that publishers sell online for a few dollars. By taking those games and setting the price on Stadia similarly low in developing countries like India where import tariffs and/or lower GDP put console/PC gaming out of the reach of many.

Imagine Rockstar puts GTA5 for $5 on Google Stadia for India. As their internet infrastructure improves tens of millions of Indians could get into AAA gaming for $5 by play it on Stadia's 1080p free tier.

3. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

How long will Google's 'free tier' be free? The running costs for streaming games are far higher than streaming videos, so a reliance on advertising revenue will require huge amounts of adverts. And a cut on a cheap game sale will only pay for the hardware for so long.

I can't see the business proposition there. Free Stadia makes sense while wanting people to adopt streaming, but at some point it'll have to become financed. Or, the paying tier will have to be super, duper profitable to subsidise the bottom tier.

4. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Services like Game Pass where the user could download the game and play on their own hardware makes more sense for everyone as an opportunity for publishers making some money off sales cratered titles. Like Shifty said, streaming hardware has costs that need to be recouped somehow. How would Stadia's three-tier handle recouping costs, injecting advertisements into your stream? Or is Google gaining your gaming habits and preferences be enough to be worth the sunk costs?

5. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Google also has free data science compute on Google Colab; it uses their Tesla K80s. I mean that shit can't be cheap to be running tons of compute for people for free.

I sort of get the idea of trying to be viral and then swing around and charge subscriptions. But i don't know how long this will last/work for.

#345 iroboto, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  6. JoeJ

Regular Newcomer

https://www.pcgamesn.com/stadia/negative-latency-prediction

Not a new idea - predict player actions to reduce latency. First they beat us at chess, then in Go, and finally they play our games for us.

"uuhhh - lost internet connection, damn... but, wait... yeah! New Tetris world record!" :D

"Oh no - he's better than me - he'll frag me soon..." - "Pull internet cable! Let Google aim bot finish him for you!" :D

But seriously - in what situations could this ever work? Assisting player movement, pulling triggers on machine guns but not rail guns or what?

orangpelupa likes this.
  7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

It's really about training the AI to beat humans in firefights for the robot uprising.

orangpelupa and RancidLunchmeat like this.
  8. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

i'm not complaining. I would love to see the model working on how they trained that. Damn. Incredible

orangpelupa likes this.
  9. JoeJ

Regular Newcomer

Hehehe, watch 10 ads to get prediction boost :D (ok... better logging out... :p )

10. Alucardx23

Regular

This might throw some light into what is happening.

JoeJ and pharma like this.
  11. Alucardx23

Regular

Please help me understand this a little bit better. When DF mentions motion vectors, the video below is a good visual representation of what they are talking about, correct?

12. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

I wonder, did they also incorporate similar tech to chrome remote desktop?

They overhauled it not long before Stadia. It was a reliable chrome extension, then they overhaul it as a web app that has many more bugs.

If they simply changing from extension to web app, I don't think that many bugs will appear.

My suspicion, they used web Chrome remote desktop for "alpha testing" various tech used for Stadia.

BTW when it can connect, Chrome remote desktop is the best, visual and response wise. It beats VNC, RDP, especially with horrible internet. dunno with TeamViewer, didn't use it.

13. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Only 12 Games available at launch, estimated another 14 available by 2020.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...e-on-google-stadia-in-time-for-nov-19-launch/

Only 12 games will be available on Google Stadia in time for Nov. 19 launch [Updated]
    14 more by year's end, but some previously promised "launch" titles are not here yet.

A number of legacy titles that were previously promised as part of the Stadia "launch window" are currently not included in Google's list of 2019 Stadia releases. Those include:

14. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

My condolences to anyone suckered into paying money for the Founder Edition bundle for that list of old games you still have to buy...

BRiT and Karamazov like this.
  15. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

yeah i still don't understand why it is not a streaming service like PSNow with just a monthly subscription to get access to a catalog of games.

16. Xbat

Regular Newcomer

Feels like it's a bit rushed content wise. How far away is Microsoft's Xcloud from launching?

#356 Xbat, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  17. xexuxjy

Regular Newcomer

The more I read about Stadia, the more I think it's just some form of clever joke that I just don't get.....

BRiT likes this.
  18. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Don't think there's been an actual launch window given.

19. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Google Stadia is November 19, 2019.

Microsoft xCloud is in "beta" now for some Xbox Insiders. I think they may be waiting to see how Stadia fairs before committing, but wouldn't be surprised if they end up more towards Q2 2020. I don't think they're saving it for NextGen launch or even for an E3 release announcement.

20. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

Well, maybe what Sony did with PS Now, available in many countries worldwide with hundred of games since years ago (and counting), was not some easy task to accomplish particular in a financially viable way ? Who knew ?

With all their promises and seemingly limitless resources and experience about Cloud services, Google Stadia offer is ridiculous and actually in some kind of Beta, Microsoft Xcloud still in beta. Both lagging way behind Sony with a simple cloud service. :lol2: