Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by ultragpu, Jun 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

I'm quite interesting in that thing especcially as optical fiber should be at my place really soon now. I wonder what the pricing will be.

Shortbread and egoless like this.
  2. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Investors want to see growth, and the console vendors are already well entrenched in homes. So at least they're trying something to expand their revenue streams rather than being so closed minded as this. Is it the right time bearing in mind the hurdles of internet connections? Maybe not yet, or maybe it just needs another push from someone as big as Google (who is also big on fibre connectivity and those data centers). The streaming gig has been done for years, but it's probably just a matter of time and perseverence as connectivity grows.

This sort of snark isn't particularly productive for thoughtful discussion.

#202 AlBran, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  3. milk

Veteran Regular

Yes, but it lightens the mood if we take it at it was meant: a light hearted cheeky off comment.

Shoujoboy and AlBran like this.
  4. Metal_Spirit

Regular Newcomer

Due to the many questions about profitability these subscription services place, I wonder if anyone has had the ideia of a platform agnostic service based on tradicional sales, but with a lot lower prices due to the more extensive market reached, that serves you the game you bought via streaming on any system you want that has a controller?

I could see such a service beeing a success, and above all without many of the questions that haunt subscriptions profitability, specially when exclusives are available on day one.

5. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

How does that benefit Sony?

That question needs to be answered if you want to see their titles on Stadia.

6. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

streaming is limited, though. Switch and a physical console can achieve things like this, streaming can't.

[​IMG]

Shoujoboy and milk like this.
  7. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

Imho convinience is the main word here, nobody can tell if their bet is going to pay but I would not hide behind technicalities in the face of something as powerful as a "Play Now" button on many YOUTUBE videos.
    They need more than news games though, they need to get a lot of PC game running on that thing. Back catalog is important no matter the device you play on.

mpg1 and AlBran like this.
  8. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

This is Google's weakest point. They are using a platform that no-one writes games for. Who's going to do the porting? What's in it for the devs, because at first glance you're looking at all that effort to port only to make zero money when no-one's using the service because there are no games on it and you only get a small cut from a small subscription fee.

Google need a couple of (in house) killer games, only playable on Stadia, shown on top streamers' channels with a 'play now' button. So...uh...buy Respawn and make Apex Stadia only. ;)

DavidGraham, dobwal and BRiT like this.
  9. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Remind anyone of nV Shield? :p

Silent_Buddha and AzBat like this.
  10. Michellstar

Regular Newcomer

I wonder under what conditions those "too good to be true" numbers that posted Digital Foundry were taken

Cyan likes this.
  11. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

Without any back catalog they are fighting an up hill battle but on the plus side depending on their business model the buy-in price for players to get a couple games could really low compared to PC and consoles. For example my ALienware Alpha i3 is fine for what I would start to show its age if I were to play demanding game. UPgrading the CPÜ is still a good 115€ (for a use quad core). With online service I can kee p a lot of old game running locally and accves new game with 0 investment. It may even allow ma Windows PC to stealthily acces Andoird app (if Google want it). I'm displeased with windows marketstore.
    MSFT has done great thing with BC and I suspect it could translate to a cloud architecture. Mapping Xbox 1s virtual machne on top of servers would allow them to run lots of games down to the 360 era. It would make sense for MSFT to target a more basic experience than Google as it matches their hardware, it somehow also reduce computing, bandwidth requirement.

12. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Some feedback on Stadia ...

13. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

Impressions don't inspire confidence to say the least, so we have heavy compression, input lag, stuttering and lengthy loading thus far and not even getting into 4k/60fps yet. Not to mention macroblocking could potentially kill immersion and affect gameplay critically. Imagine watching an emotional cutscene, key element revealing sequences interrupted by nasty pixelation, turning a sharp corner in a racer but road is distorted by weird squares. That's just the tip of the iceberg in the long running soon to be discovered bag full of issues.

14. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

Impressions I got from the trial that happened was positive.
    So I'm not taking much away from this one way or the other.
    At best /worst it's one all.

15. zed

zed
    Veteran

so doom3, which you were lucky to hit 30fps was not doom?
    i take his point though

16. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

So do I, but it's only running at 1080p30 at moment, not what they plan for launch.

I'm not saying I'm expecting it to be perfect at all. Just saying heard good things from the trial, bad things from conference floor.
    So not going to dig it's grave just yet for what kind of games and circumstances it will work ok in.

17. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Context of Tweet:

Unscientific 240fps recording of the #Stadia Assassin’s Creed demo at #GDC19 shows a ~166ms input lag. About 5 frames at 30fps

The game appeared to be running at 1080p/30, and wasn’t using the Stadia controller. Also not sure (should have asked) if it was streaming over LAN or internet.

Jay likes this.
  18. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

What are the local-game lag for these titles?

19. DavidGraham

Veteran

Yeah, Linux and Vulkan are really bad choices, maybe not Vulkan, but lower level API in general demand much more involvement from the developer. Windows and DX11 should result in a faster porting process.
    Not sure even this would be enough, it will just mean that Stadia is a platform for some battle royale titles, just like Battle.Net is a platform for OverWatch and Destiny 2. Or Epic Store was a platform for Fortnite. People will still buy consoles and PCs to play the majority of titles, past, present and future.

20. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

I don't know why they are demoing games that are running at 30fps. They already use beefy hardware, 60fps should not be out of reach, and that would lower the lag.

milk likes this.