Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019-2021]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by ultragpu, Jun 29, 2018.

1. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yup, and there is a good reason for this. The vast majority of Sony's revenue is driven by tangible production; CCDs for cameras, TVs, cameras etc. These things needs tangible resources to produce before they can be sold whereas Microsoft, like Google and Apple, exist is a very different economic model which the vast majority of revenue is based on selling intangible products or services. Apple do we'll from selling iPhones but this business is dwarfed by the iOS AppStore.

Its swings and roundabouts. Sony's PlayStaton division has likely benefited from COVID-19 lockdown but Sony's movie division has suffered due to limited production and cinemas being closed. The companies are really nothing alike and they only compete isn one sector: videogame consoles.

Picao84 likes this.
  2. ChuckeRearmed

Regular Newcomer

Whoa. 9% profit margin? Sounds too low...But what is the regular profit margin for similar companies?
    And in what category Nintendo goes?

3. liams

Regular Newcomer

Nintendo has a roughly 25% profit margin

some other tech companys
    apple ~21%
    google (actually alphabet)~22%
    facebook ~27%
    microsoft ~32%

some hardware companies
    lenovo ~2.5%
    dell ~2.5%

so sony doesnt cleanly fit into either being a tech company or a hardware company. In reality they are a hardware company that has a high profit margin division that brings the rest of the company up (ie playstation)

the reason nintendo's profit margin is so good compared to sony is for a couple of reasons, for one nintendo never sells their hardware at a loss, and with the tech in the switch being practically ancient at this point a switch cant cost much to produce at all. And secondly nintendo doesnt sell a bunch of low margin stuff like TVs and phones like sony does, which drags down the profit margin even if its juices the top line revenue

ChuckeRearmed likes this.
  4. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Google's mistake was making stadia its own thing.

Stadia should have been part of youtube.

Oh look splatercat is playing they are billions that looks a lot of fun i'd love to try it... oh whats this play now feature ? Oh cool i can subscribe and play it right from youtube on my browser or portable device !

instead its its own walled garden. Amazon is making the same mistake that google did. Theirs should be tied to twitch. I wonder if its due to anti trust concerns ? Regardless even if you had to load up an app to play it after clicking play it would have done much better to be features like that vs its own thing.

5. ChuckeRearmed

Regular Newcomer

They also almost never sell their games cheaply:mad:

Hm I wonder then what profit margin for the pure Playstation division. Considering that their current launch was not even a lost they should be able to make a hefty sum.

6. HLJ

HLJ
    Regular Newcomer

That was a lot of text to say the 20 bil figure per quarter was false?

It is 5 bil. per quarter.

See...did not take a lot of words.

7. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

@HLJ obviously the text was TLDR thus didnt understand , :lol2:sorry

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021...to-the-tune-of-hundreds-of-thousands-of-users
    personally I think stadia actually done better than I thought as some ppl did actually subscribe :shock: (I can see places where perhaps this makes sense, eg hotels, warzone etc but in your own house?). In what universe did they think this would possibly work. This is not hindsight this was apparent before they launched.
    The only conceivable way it could of worked somewhat was to have exclusive games that ppl 'need' to play GTA6 or fortnite that cant be played elsewhere, or how I thought it was gonna be as a subscription where you pay X dollars a month and then can play all the games on it whenever you want, I guess MS gamepass is like this, now this can work and makes sense. But to charge ppl a subscription and then also ask ppl to then also buy each game as well. How do these ppl that thought of this get paid (I assume) good money to be so dumb?

I have spotify which I pay each month, no guessing how long I would still pay for it if I then had to actually buy each song/album before I could listen to it :rolleyes:

8. ChuckeRearmed

Regular Newcomer

Yeah, their model was kinda stupid. Paying full price for streaming + no way to keep it (like import to Steam or whatever) if the service is done for?

If you have a subscription you implicitly less concerned about that because -"well only 15$ per month, if I lose - not a big deal" - but paying 60$ or whatever at once and the possibility to lose it? No.

9. manux

Veteran Regular

Already kind of mentioned in this thread. This is crazy amount of money being thrown around by google. No wonder some developers were confused about geforce now and bitched about nvidia not giving them money,...

DSoup likes this.
  10. arandomguy

Newcomer

At least for the example given that amount didn't seem to buy them any exclusivity as I believe all Ubisoft games are available to Geforce Now. 2K and Bethesda seem to be the major publishers that become Stadia "exclusives" that at one point were on Geforce Now.