Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019-2021]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by ultragpu, Jun 29, 2018.

1. manux

Veteran Regular

Stadia as service makes sense. I hope stadia isn't dying, choice is good thing to have. Nvidia is doing similar thing with their hw+sw if I have understood correctly. Though it makes more sense for nvidia as they can sell hw in addition to sw.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/03/19/geforce-now-alliance/

2. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Jade went from Ubi to EA to Google.
    Where does she go next?

3. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Amazon? :)

As much as you can tell from looking at someone's career history, looks like she could have a wealth of options.

From the outside looks like a bummer few years though. Left EA as Amy Henning's Star Wars project was canned and the studio she set up (Motive) hasn't delivered much.* And then Stadia, where they pull the plug on first party development after 2 yrs. You can see why she'd leave.

*Not saying Squadrons isn't nice. It's not a mega blockbuster though.

#723 cheapchips, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  4. fehu

Veteran Regular

Begun it has

xexuxjy likes this.
  5. ChuckeRearmed

Regular Newcomer

Their original model was kinda stupid, but the platform itself might fare just nice. It worked nicely and it seems - even looking at recent Fifa annoucement - Vulkan API is not a limitation per se. White label service is a way to go for it with some third parties on the service.

Considering that MS partnered with SpaceX, I wonder if we will have GamePass with Starlink somewhere on the road.

6. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

nah, Amazon is suffering under teh weight of technological choices.
    Squadrons was very well received and a return to form for Star Wars and EA. While you're right that it didn't set the world on fire, many people were happy with it.

She's done good work honestly. If she can bank 1 more win, she'd be worthwhile to have in any studio. I would say that she had issues getting games launched from Ubisoft Toronto; not much happened there under her tenure.

7. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I remember chromecasts heating up and freezing and stuff when using stadia.

I think they should have made a fire tv like box that was moved away from the back of the tv and included a larger heatsink for the chip

https://www.pcmag.com/news/stadia-overheating-chromecast-ultra-units-causing-shutdowns

8. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Yup. I have quite the monstrosity cable connection with the new CCwGTV, first up is the HDMI extension cable so its not sitting right on top of the AVR but at a place more convenient to plug it in. Then I hooked it up to a USB hub with wired Ethernet connection so its more stable connection.

Its a great piece of kit that I think would easily be able to handle the Stadia client but they don't officially support it for mysterious reasons.

I wish I had a 3D Printer and Skills to make a nice docking port like structure to better organize the device and hub and the hdmi, power, and ethernet connections. Its a bit like an Octopus now.

eastmen likes this.
  9. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Yea , I just don't get the need to make everything as small as possible and remove active cooling

Like i get that people don't want a vcr sized box under their tv anymore but i don't need the thing as small as possible. Fire sticks are also god awful with over heating so I have to have a hdmi extender that then dangles in the back anyway and it still can over heat. I have never had an issue fire cube.

This thing was still small but never had over heating problems also. But now they made it into a 4k stick .

But everyone does this. I love my surface products but why do they remove the active cooling from the i3 and i5 units. It just makes them get hotter than they need to get and what to save a few ounces or remove noise ?

I dunno maybe I'm just odd and would rather have function over form.

BRiT likes this.
  10. tuna

Veteran

Noiseless is quite an important function for a lot of people.

11. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

it could be but in a portable device I would also argue being able to handle the device without burning your hand is also important. Or being able to use your work programs without the computer throttling while working on it.

Also I have access to both the surface pro 7 + i5 and i7 . The i7 has a fan and I can't ever notice the noise from the fan. However I can certainly feel a difference in the devices temp while holding it

12. tuna

Veteran

I'd say your first point is hyperbole. As for your second point, I would value silence more than consistent performance in a laptop.

13. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

In my home I have 6 surface products. Yesterday my surface book downloaded and installed the latest windows os update and the screen portion was to hot to touch. My surface pro will also heat up greatly while running more demanding applications. Its not really hyperbole.

14. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

It seems Terraria won't be coming to Stadia after bad experiences with Google in other aspects:

milk, Silent_Buddha and pharma like this.
  15. fehu

Veteran Regular

That is both really strange and unprofessional o_O

milk likes this.
  16. AntShaw

Regular

By Google? 100%.

17. fehu

Veteran Regular

Strange the situation, because they can't say why the account was disabled.
    Unprofessional by Spinks because of their investments in Stadia, and the other developers at relogic that thrown in the bin their time on Stadia because the boss had a problem with his email.

18. manux

Veteran Regular

wtf? Is this typical that google bans accounts? I haven't heard people complain about this before. I would hate to loose all my mails and backed up photos if google decided to ban me.

19. ChuckeRearmed

Regular Newcomer

That's one of the problems with centralized systems. Single point of failure.

Rodéric, milk and AntShaw like this.
  20. milk

milk Like Verified
    Veteran Regular

And the more google does shit like that, the more it's users become aware of that fragiilty, and will seek to depend less on its services. It's a shot in the foot.

Tkumpathenurpahl likes this.