Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019-2021]

ultragpu

Banned
I still remember the first time I used Binks video was for a 20 min Half Life 2 demo which legitimately blown me away :).
But this rumored Google console is news to me! Can it take on the big boys tho?

https://kotaku.com/sources-google-is-planning-a-game-platform-that-could-1827217387

Possible hardware. Definite streaming service. Apparently acquiring developers.

Could be Google's ongoing plans on expanding its location-based online games.
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Alphabet Inc’s Google on Monday unveiled new tools for game developers, days after opening Maps to create location-based online games, challenging technology rivals including Amazon.com Inc in the bid for a bigger slice of the lucrative industry.

I still remember the first time I used Binks video was for a 20 min Half Life 2 demo which legitimately blown me away :).
But this rumored Google console is news to me! Can it take on the big boys tho?
They have enough money to enter the console business. It's certainly not easy or cheap to break in.

They have enough money to enter the console business. It's certainly not easy or cheap to break in.

Question is why would they want to? What is the business play here? Assumption is that it will be streaming based, so is it Google cloud engine or what its called that is the revenue driver for this?

Google Cloud would be one of the options. Devs would pay Google every time someone plays their game and uses the servers. Something like Fortnite would be a cash cow. Establishing Chrome as the de facto portal for gaming would of course be valuable in many ways. As per the article, what if you could access games in Chrome and play full screen, on any device?

The downside is YouTube level's of video quality for gaming?? Not for me! that's possibly where hardware is needed. Get gamers playing real games on hardware, dabbling with streaming, and grow the two together.

Question is why would they want to? What is the business play here? Assumption is that it will be streaming based, so is it Google cloud engine or what its called that is the revenue driver for this?
As I understand it, the gaming industry is large than film and music combined.
Growth appears to be on a constant trajectory with multiple verticals for profit. So. TLDR; google sees an opportunity for $$$

Would be interesting but I don't know if it will take off. If you want to play android games you can get a chromcast , ruko , fire stick and so on and play them on your tv. They might be able to get 3rd party support quickly if they have good enough tools to port the games over to android. However they will have to go up against MS , Sony and Nintendo all of whom have better first party support and proven consoles.

I can't see Google investing significant enough money to make enough of an impact before they inevitably kill the initiative. They have a long history of canning projects that don't break out in the first 18-24 months, many don't last that long. Then there are projects like Glass which go quiet for years.

Whatever it is I can't see it being aimed at the type of person who is buying a mainstream console because Google's business is collecting information in order to serve more personalised ads and mainstreaming games is not look well suited to that.

I was just going to post that if they do release console hardware, only plan on seeing it supported for around 2 years, perhaps less, but DSoup already has. Unfortunately, thats the reality of Google projects.

No doubt, however it takes more than just money to compete these days. Exclusive titles, 3rd party support, timing, price all come into play. Would sure be interesting to have another player to stir things up a bit especially if it pushes the hardware front :).

No doubt, however it takes more than just money to compete these days. Exclusive titles, 3rd party support, timing, price all come into play. Would sure be interesting to have another player to stir things up a bit especially if it pushes the hardware front :).
The only question I have there, will really come down to the type of games that will be on the platform, or how the games will even be played. I'm guessing it's not going to necessarily be a living room device. It just doesn't fit with Google imo.

Lot's of questions at this stage and we don't even know if it'll compete with this gen or next gen. Interesting little bugger to look forward to.

My expectation is neither (or both). I think it'll be a Google service, possible like some Android frequent-upgrade hardware. I doubt it'll be a traditional console with a cycle. So, more likely maybe a $200 box that plays Android titles or streams high-end games which gets a refresh every couple of years, like an nVidia Shield TV. I can't see a $400+ console happening. It has zero synergy with Google's other platforms and devices.

I'm sure EA, Square Enix, Ubisoft and so on would love to offer streaming service for their IPs. Maybe a hub offering access to these services could be in the offering.

That said I don't really trust Google to take a long term position and truly support any hardware platform beyond Android.

When I think of a google gaming device I think of a cheap plastic stick always online connected to you gmail account playing android games through 30 different completely ineficient layers of abstraction with shit unpredictable performance under an open standard which every manufacturer will create their version with PR driven features that do more harm than good filled to the brim with intrusive bloatware and compatibility breaking custom modifications.
It gives me shivers.

Last edited:
A gaming specific design could address that. Google could use Vulkan on a thin gaming layer, for example, and ensure all "Gaming Certified" products enable this.

Google Home+
"Hey google let's play that game where I give you all of my information so you can sell it. "

You have been playing it for years.

A gaming specific design could address that. Google could use Vulkan on a thin gaming layer, for example, and ensure all "Gaming Certified" products enable this.
Sure they could. But would they? That kind of atention to detail is not on their DNA.

Back