SSHD slow as heck for windows store games

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
Any idea why this is the case?

Its (almost? felt no difference) as fast as SSD for non windows store games. But for windows store games, its slow as heck.

my suspicion is windows store games not compatible with SSHD caching logic. but why? any idea to fix this?

Ideally you'd need to confirm this is the case by comparing a game available in windows store and on Steam for example. Have both installed on the same drive and check loading times and possible performance issues.

Is this a physical SSHD device, for example like the Western Digital SSHD Blue drive? Or is this a piece of software that enables HDD caching via an SSD of your choosing, like Intel's Rapid Storage software?

The former works on individual sectors of data. This means the caching is completely agnostic of what's on the disk, even to the point where only the most used blocks of a file can be cached, rather than the entire file itself. There's no specific reason why any one particular game or application or even file wouldn't be part of the computation for "most used blocks."

The software methods I'm unsure about. Intel's Rapid Storage is still block level, but I also know there are some filesystem-specific ones out there too.

Maybe a different question: how do you know they aren't being cached? What kind of performance monitoring software are you using to determine this?

Is this a physical SSHD device, for example like the Western Digital SSHD Blue drive? Or is this a piece of software that enables HDD caching via an SSD of your choosing, like Intel's Rapid Storage software?

The former works on individual sectors of data. This means the caching is completely agnostic of what's on the disk, even to the point where only the most used blocks of a file can be cached, rather than the entire file itself. There's no specific reason why any one particular game or application or even file wouldn't be part of the computation for "most used blocks."

The software methods I'm unsure about. Intel's Rapid Storage is still block level, but I also know there are some filesystem-specific ones out there too.

Maybe a different question: how do you know they aren't being cached? What kind of performance monitoring software are you using to determine this?

im using seagate SSHD.

i noticed it in games. destiny 2 that as fast as on SSD. but yakuza slower than SSD

yes, ive done multiple launch/load to make sure it cached. It usually only need 2-3 times to cache things.

When you say "slower than SSD" do you have a way to move it back and forth between the SSHD and another SSD drive to compare speeds?

When you say "slower than SSD" do you have a way to move it back and forth between the SSHD and another SSD drive to compare speeds?

I didn't move it back and forth. It's like this

Destiny 2 and yakuza on pc on sshd

Destiny 2 and yakuza on laptop on ssd

Destiny 2 performance is basically the same (not exact same. Sshd still slower. But close enough). While yakuza got way longer loadings and more interminent loading on pc with sshd. the worse is in the arena where after confirming the enemy stats menu, it will have loading screen on pc with sshd, none on laptop with ssd

Yeah, gotcha. I dunno then, the SSHD logic on hardware devices like your Seagate is purely at a block level and would be agnostic of file location, flie type, or the like. WIndows Store Apps are buried in your user profile AppData space for whatever it's worth.

What kind of SSD is in your laptop?

Laptop is a half length nvme hynix ssd.

Maybe yakuza files are full of tiny individual files and the caching skips them. Destiny use big files.

Now I'm really curious and want to test with more games but I gotta finish reviewing this laptop. Already exceed my plan for 2 weeks lol.

Maybe yakuza files are full of tiny individual files and the caching skips them. Destiny use big files.
Aha, so this might very well be the situation you're facing.

NVMe protocol is remarkably faster and more efficient on a per-IO basis than the ATA protocol (including both Serial ATA and Parallel ATA.) If Yakuza game files are stored as bazillions of tiny little files, then the physical interface to the drive may very well be the culprit here. It's less about it being an SSD and more about the ATA protocol having a lot to be desired in how I/O transactions are processed.

Back