Square Enix DKΣ3713 Invitation-only Event (Mobile, DS, PSP, PS3, Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by patsu, Jun 11, 2008.

1. patsu

Legend

http://www.square-enix.com/jp/event/dks3713/

Which of these are 2008 games ?

2. XeRo

Newcomer

Dissidia and maybe 358/2

3. Mefisutoferesu

Regular

I think in an interview nomura mentioned it would probably be the last of the 3 KH games to come out, despite being the first to begin production...

4. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

No full console KH sequel? What about the dark trailer shown back in '05 or whenever it was?

5. XeRo

Newcomer

They had a dark trailer? Is it the trailer with the hooded guy standing on a building?

6. Cornsnake

Veteran

I'm disappointed by Square-enix. They almost exclusively make sequels to Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest. You would think a company that big would at least try something more original and maybe try to find the next big trend in gaming.

7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Final Fantasy is only sequels in name. Each one has been set in a different universe with differnt characters. There may be common themes, such as the naming of spells, but these spells are generic across fantasy titles anyhow, so why keep reinventing them?

XeRo : This trailer

Edit : I see in this extended trailer I hadn't seen before (only saw the shortened one fo the first minute and a bit) that Birth by Sleep is mentioned. I guess it was always a PSP title, or they made the switch early enough? Dunno where Goofy and Mickey fit in here though... ;)

8. Cornsnake

Veteran

They have used the same spells, enemies, weapons, items and character classes for 12 games and several spin-offs. Why not change them. If they want some more originality while still making a sequel than they should make one for Vagrant Story.

9. obonicus

Veteran

Is that entirely fair? They just released TWEWY which, by most accounts (I haven't played it yet) is actually pretty innovative. Plus the new IPs mentioned yesterday: infinite undiscovery and last remnant.

10. XeRo

Newcomer

http://kh2.co.uk/?page=NI/KHBBS1

It was for BBS.

11. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Yeah atleast they should try making sequels of some forgotten titles.

Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story are one of those desperate for a next gen treatment

12. Xalion

Regular

I think you might have missed a few. Like the mana series (sword of mana, dawn of mana, ect), Their Valkyrie Profile games, Grandia, Star Ocean, and several others. I think they are even working on a wrestling game. This doesn't include of course games that they publish from tri-Ace and others.

Don't get me wrong, Square-enix had definitely made good use of the IPs you've mentioned. However, they release a lot of software. Most of their games are at least decent, and several are actually very good but get little notice.

13. patsu

Legend

Which ones ? (I would like to know)

14. Xalion

Regular

Personally, I enjoy a couple of the Star Ocean titles and liked Odin Sphere. The Star Ocean titles are hit and miss though. Some of their translations were poorly done so the NA or European localized versions aren't quite the same as the original Japanese versions. Dawn of Mana was impressive visually and had a decent story, but there are some technical issues that I struggled with. I liked it and think most would if they can get past those issues, but wont guarantee that it is for everyone. Odin Sphere and Grandia were the specific ones I was thinking of when I wrote that though.

(Note - they publish a LOT of JRPGs. I guess you could say I just really really like JRPGs and am giving these games too much trouble, but since they are ps2 games you can pick them up for less than a third of the cost of a PS3 game and try them :) ).

15. XeRo

Newcomer

VP and SO aren't developed by SE. They are Tri-aces.

#15 XeRo, Jun 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2008
  16. Xalion

Regular

You are correct. Square Enix is the publisher however. I was thinking of Musashi and Front Mission. It only strengthens the point I was trying to make though. Square Enix publishes a LOT of games. They also develop a lot of games. Far more than the 3 IPs the poster I was replying too tried to claim was all they published.

17. Cornsnake

Veteran

I only own Playstation platfroms so if they release something original on other platfroms i'll be missing out. A sequel for Parasite Eve would also be nice. As far as Final Fantasy is concerned, I'm done with the series. I prefer Nippon Ichi's games like Disgaea and Fhantom Brave.

18. Enzyme

Newcomer

#18 Enzyme, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2008
  19. patsu

Legend

If they are going to talk about it in August, then perhaps the information is wrong.

20. one

one Unruly Member
    Veteran

According to Famitsu, the following titles have been announced at the event.
    http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1217144_1124.html

The Third Birthday
    Platform: PSP Date: TBA

A sequel in the Parasite Eve series.

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
    Platform: PSP Date: 2009

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
    Platform: NDS Date: this winter

Kingdom Hearts Coded
    Platform: cellphone Date: this winter

Dissidia Final Fantasy
    Platform: PSP Date: Dec. 2008

A PSP bundle will be available in Japan.

Final Fantasy XIII
    Platform: PS3 Date: 2009

The release date in Japan for PS3 has been announced as 2009.

Final Fantasy Agito XIII
    Platform: PSP Date: TBA

They announced the PSP version at this event.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII
    Platform: PS3 Date: TBA

There is a collaboration effort with the fashion brand Roen.

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete
    Platform: Blu-ray video Date: March 2009

The "First-edition normal version" and a PS3 bundle version will be available. They are accompanied with a special disc, it contains a demo for FF13. It also contains new trailers of FF Versus XIII and FF Agito XIII.

#20 one, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2008