Square Enix DKΣ3713 Invitation-only Event (Mobile, DS, PSP, PS3, Blu-ray)

patsu

Legend
http://www.square-enix.com/jp/event/dks3713/

「FABULA NOVA CRYSTALLIS FINAL FANTASY XIII」series
・FINAL FANTASY XIII (PLAYSTATION® 3)
・FINAL FANTASY Agito XIII (Mobile)
・FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII (PLAYSTATION® 3)

「KINGDOM HEARTS」series
・KINGDOM HEARTS Coded (Mobile)
・KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days (Nintendo DS®)
・KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep (PSP®)

DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY (PSP®)

The 3rd Birthday (Mobile)

Sigma Harmonics (Nintendo DS®)

FINAL FANTASY VII ADVENT CHILDREN COMPLETE (Blu-ray)

Which of these are 2008 games ?

I'm disappointed by Square-enix. They almost exclusively make sequels to Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest. You would think a company that big would at least try something more original and maybe try to find the next big trend in gaming.

Final Fantasy is only sequels in name. Each one has been set in a different universe with differnt characters. There may be common themes, such as the naming of spells, but these spells are generic across fantasy titles anyhow, so why keep reinventing them?

XeRo : This trailer

Edit : I see in this extended trailer I hadn't seen before (only saw the shortened one fo the first minute and a bit) that Birth by Sleep is mentioned. I guess it was always a PSP title, or they made the switch early enough? Dunno where Goofy and Mickey fit in here though... ;)

They have used the same spells, enemies, weapons, items and character classes for 12 games and several spin-offs. Why not change them. If they want some more originality while still making a sequel than they should make one for Vagrant Story.

I'm disappointed by Square-enix. They almost exclusively make sequels to Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest. You would think a company that big would at least try something more original and maybe try to find the next big trend in gaming.

Is that entirely fair? They just released TWEWY which, by most accounts (I haven't played it yet) is actually pretty innovative. Plus the new IPs mentioned yesterday: infinite undiscovery and last remnant.

Yeah atleast they should try making sequels of some forgotten titles.

Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story are one of those desperate for a next gen treatment

I think you might have missed a few. Like the mana series (sword of mana, dawn of mana, ect), Their Valkyrie Profile games, Grandia, Star Ocean, and several others. I think they are even working on a wrestling game. This doesn't include of course games that they publish from tri-Ace and others.

Don't get me wrong, Square-enix had definitely made good use of the IPs you've mentioned. However, they release a lot of software. Most of their games are at least decent, and several are actually very good but get little notice.

Personally, I enjoy a couple of the Star Ocean titles and liked Odin Sphere. The Star Ocean titles are hit and miss though. Some of their translations were poorly done so the NA or European localized versions aren't quite the same as the original Japanese versions. Dawn of Mana was impressive visually and had a decent story, but there are some technical issues that I struggled with. I liked it and think most would if they can get past those issues, but wont guarantee that it is for everyone. Odin Sphere and Grandia were the specific ones I was thinking of when I wrote that though.

(Note - they publish a LOT of JRPGs. I guess you could say I just really really like JRPGs and am giving these games too much trouble, but since they are ps2 games you can pick them up for less than a third of the cost of a PS3 game and try them :) ).

VP and SO aren't developed by SE. They are Tri-aces.

You are correct. Square Enix is the publisher however. I was thinking of Musashi and Front Mission. It only strengthens the point I was trying to make though. Square Enix publishes a LOT of games. They also develop a lot of games. Far more than the 3 IPs the poster I was replying too tried to claim was all they published.

I only own Playstation platfroms so if they release something original on other platfroms i'll be missing out. A sequel for Parasite Eve would also be nice. As far as Final Fantasy is concerned, I'm done with the series. I prefer Nippon Ichi's games like Disgaea and Fhantom Brave.

According to Famitsu, the following titles have been announced at the event.
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1217144_1124.html

The Third Birthday
Platform: PSP Date: TBA

A sequel in the Parasite Eve series.

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
Platform: PSP Date: 2009

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Platform: NDS Date: this winter

Kingdom Hearts Coded
Platform: cellphone Date: this winter

Dissidia Final Fantasy
Platform: PSP Date: Dec. 2008

A PSP bundle will be available in Japan.

Final Fantasy XIII
Platform: PS3 Date: 2009

The release date in Japan for PS3 has been announced as 2009.

Final Fantasy Agito XIII
Platform: PSP Date: TBA

They announced the PSP version at this event.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Platform: PS3 Date: TBA

There is a collaboration effort with the fashion brand Roen.

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete
Platform: Blu-ray video Date: March 2009

The "First-edition normal version" and a PS3 bundle version will be available. They are accompanied with a special disc, it contains a demo for FF13. It also contains new trailers of FF Versus XIII and FF Agito XIII.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back