spyware*I need to know the best program!

digitalwanderer said:
Adaware and SpyBot, use 'em both. :)

yap. and both are freeware.
i have them both, but since i dont use IE, but Firefox i really dont get any of that garbage....

i mean...even after browsing some pr0....urm...educatoinal sites for couple hours i dont get _ANYTHING_ on my comp.
OTOH, if i use IE and go to some "normal" sites, i get at least data mining cookies....thats minimum and u get them in 10 secs after u started to surf.

many people dont know, but most banner adds store cookies to track what u do on internet.....offcourse, Firefox has nice options where you can decide which cookies you need and rest is not allowed near your comp.
(i personally have only 17 cookies allowed)

/me hugs Firefox

_xxx_ said:
How about a nice firewall? ;)
and what good would that do, exactly?
Firewalls are somewhat worthless for this kind of stuff, it often comes in on common ports you need open.
If you are refering to one that blocks outgoing requests be default and then makes you approve them, thats adifferent, but you are already infected, you can just stop it from "phoning home".

what you really need is a good IDS, that doesnt false positive bunches of stuff. To bad that doesnt exist.

Althornin said:
_xxx_ said:
Firewalls are somewhat worthless for this kind of stuff, it often comes in on common ports you need open.
If you are refering to one that blocks outgoing requests be default and then makes you approve them, thats adifferent, but you are already infected, you can just stop it from "phoning home".

what you really need is a good IDS, that doesnt false positive bunches of stuff. To bad that doesnt exist.

If you use a firewall always requesting your input when a program tries to access the net for the first time. The firewall works instantly after the installation.

_xxx_ said:
Althornin said:
_xxx_ said:

If you use a firewall always requesting your input when a program tries to access the net for the first time. The firewall works instantly after the installation.
You'll notice this line in my post:

Firewalls are imperfect. They block at the port level for incoming data, and that just aint good enough. For real security, you need an IDS.
Of course, this is me talking out of my industry/paranoia hat. For home use, something like Tiny PF is fine.

I'd prefer to use something like m0n0wall with snort on it though :)

Just wanted to say that the firewall works as well _after_ the machine's been infected, since it always checks all progs after the installation.

you would need a firewall configured with DROP policy as default for all outgoing packets, which is fine but actually requires quite a bit of setup for "advanced" applications such as those that need to keep alive conections (P2P, ftp, etc)... not suitable for regular users at all, it can even become hard to configure even if you really know what you're doing. Still, it would be nice to have some "iptables" on windows, which I have been unable to find.

_xxx_ said:
Just wanted to say that the firewall works as well _after_ the machine's been infected, since it always checks all progs after the installation.

why get infected at all?
use Firefox. it doesnt have million holes like IE. :rolleyes:
and when u do get infected, you still need something for cleaning cause that shit slows down comps.....

i was just recently at some client of mine, they asked me to help with their comp.....i ran both AdAware and SpyBot and got total of 350+ POSes there.
and 4 viruses also.

i installed both TB and FF there and told them i wont come again, cause unless they use IE they wont get that again....

they had everything there.....hijackers, loggers, viruses....

so i ask you again -> why getting infected in the first place, when u can use Firefox that wont allow for that shit to install?
i even set cookie control so i allowed only some 20 cookies total on my comp.....

every bloody banner add comes with cookie that is sitting on your comp.

not to mention that Alexa, which is rated as SPYWARE comes as part of IE

your choice.....your privacy....

I never got infected since years. I don't really get all these loud cries... ;)

Use Spy Sweeper, I'm telling you again.

silence said:
why get infected at all?
use Firefox. it doesnt have million holes like IE. :rolleyes:
and when u do get infected, you still need something for cleaning cause that shit slows down comps.....

i was just recently at some client of mine, they asked me to help with their comp.....i ran both AdAware and SpyBot and got total of 350+ POSes there.
and 4 viruses also.

i installed both TB and FF there and told them i wont come again, cause unless they use IE they wont get that again....

they had everything there.....hijackers, loggers, viruses....

so i ask you again -> why getting infected in the first place, when u can use Firefox that wont allow for that shit to install?
i even set cookie control so i allowed only some 20 cookies total on my comp.....

every bloody banner add comes with cookie that is sitting on your comp.

not to mention that Alexa, which is rated as SPYWARE comes as part of IE

your choice.....your privacy....

Feels like shouting in the dark...

Although you'll have to replace "Firefox" with "any decent non-MS browser".

there are some softwares that can bypass your firewall. One example I had was Magic port. It completly ignored ZA when I denied access to the Internet and determined that I had a Linksys (netgear) router. Imagine that.............

Deepak said:
Has anyone used Microsoft's beta spyware/adware removal application?? Is it good?

I tried it, and it's very apparent it's a program MS bought and dressed up. The UI isn't up to MS standards either from an ergonomics standpoint or visually either. It doesn't scan for tracking cookies either btw (perhaps so MS won't have to kill its own MSN ad cookies...). Tracking cookies is the only thing that makes it onto my PC anyway which sort of makes this program redundant and useless for me, so I stopped trying it. :p

I'd like spybot to offer the same realtime protection as the commercial version of adaware does, but unfortunately it does not...

The best program for Spyware is Internet Explorer.

Oh, sorry, you mean programs for removing it? In that case...

Guden Oden said:
Deepak said:
Has anyone used Microsoft's beta spyware/adware removal application?? Is it good?

I tried it, and it's very apparent it's a program MS bought and dressed up. The UI isn't up to MS standards either from an ergonomics standpoint or visually either.
Bizarre commentary IMO. The interface is excellent, definitely superior to any other spyware program I've used. Frankly it was one of the first things I noticed; how well it integrates with XP's visual style - some of it even seems taken from Aero. I believe the interface was on the reasons MS bought out Giant in particular, as they're not going to have to do much to it to resemble a native MS product.

(Whatever that is - since when is MS consistent with its visual themes anyway?)

Yes, MS bought it - hence the purchase announcement. They haven't actually "dressed it up" at all, even the logo is still from Giant. They released it as quickly as possible, I can overlook some minor details at this point considering it's free.
It doesn't scan for tracking cookies either btw
Which it shouldn't. Cookies should not be classified as spyware IMO. I've seen enough false reports of someone thinking "Oh noes! My PC is infected" when all Ad-Aware is reporting tracking cookies, which it will do again when its run a week later. MS has to target a huge range of users for this, spilling out spyware reports for something so trivial as tracking cookies will just cause confusion. I can see a PC-newbie soccer mom using this fine - Adware/Spybot? Hell no.

Real-time protection, the spynet community, Internet Explorer default page restore, the interface - hands down the best, and Giant had an excellent reputation beforehand. Whether or not I continue to value it this highly will depend on what MS charges for it. I would hope they keep it free for single-user usage, and only charge a fee for a corporate version.

Back