Spyro The Dragon Reignited Trilogy [PS4, XO] (September 2018)

I was eagerly awaiting this, but I don't like the execution. Specifically, the colour pallete. Spyro had great art direction in that regard. They were way ahead most competition on it actually. They even wrote a whole article just about their choices and considerations on palettes and lighting.
This remaster shits on it all.

Just like with the Crash trilogy, I'm really liking the look of this. I also doubt Insomniac would make the same lighting and color palette (both of which were of course considerably more limited on the PSone) decisions if were going to make a Spyro game in the here and now. Just look at the muted and grey-ish color palettes of the PS2 R&C and compare them to the ones they chose for the remake. If anything the change was actually more drastic there.

Do these games still hold up? Never played them back in the day. Couple years back I tried to play Banjo Kazooie (sp?) on the 360. Supposedly a stone cold classic, but I thought it was just a rather mediocre collectathon.

Spyro holds up much better than banjo. I still play them now and then. They are simplistic platformers, but they just feel damn fun control, and the levels are interesting. Insomniac nailed the gameplay on them.

Great news! I played the original on my PSP a few years ago. Except for the camera, it still holds up.

I didn't bother with Crash, but I'll get this near launch.

Great news! I played the original on my PSP a few years ago. Except for the camera, it still holds up.

I didn't bother with Crash, but I'll get this near launch.
This is a good chance to play this game for me, if I can get it at a good price. I think I played this game somewhere but I don't remember which platform it was.

Well, these games and their non-Insomniac entries have spanned a good bunch of platforms, and the PS1 can be emulated on any decent smartphone now, so you could have played an entry pretty much anywhere.

I think you'll enjoy them. They have great level design, charming atmosphere, and a perfect balance between freedom and focus - something that's largely been lost in this age of open world or cinematic games.

For me it was at its best when focused on pure platforming. It felt like a spacial puzzle many times. You'd play through a level and collect half of its gems along the way, while mapping it out in your head. Then the real fun started. If instead of calling it a day and leaving at the exit, you decide to stay some more to grab ecery other gem, you find yourself considering the entire map three-dimensionally in your head to consider what can possibly be the best angles to jump and glide from to get to the hard to reach gems. It is the game that best delivered the promise of exploration based 3d platforming in that sense to me. It's superior to SM64 in that aspect (but mario was more fun to control and do acrobatics with). Banjo was not good at anything really. Level design was bloated, controls did the job but didn't feel specially fun, a lot of forced back and forth backtracking that felt like a chore, and overall everything felt excessive, too many diferent types of items to collect, special moves and power ups that were useful only on cery specific contexts... It worked then because it had good graphics and charisma, but the design is terrible.

Back