Splinter Cell Demo

mech

Regular
Got it tonight, very very nice indeed. Graphics are top notch (with some slowdown, but generally very good), lighting is fantastic, attention to detail is amazing.

The controls leave a little to be desired (I think they should have taken a leaf out of MGS2's book), and you can't invert looking which is a bit annoying. There are some nice tweaks (such as walking and aiming in first person mode), but on the whole it's a bit cumbersome...

Gameplay is excellent. VERY stealthy, awesome mood, awesome interaction with objects, gotta love the night and thermal vision :)

Love it. Anyone else tried it?

Magnum: It was planned for GCN/PS2, but is a timed-exclusive (if not totally exclusive) on Xbox now.

If it does come out on other consoles, you'll see it in Spring.

As for a PC version, EB says that it's coming out a month after the Xbox one. (Xbox = shipping 11/12/02)

marconelly! said:
Can you tell what is the target framerate? Is it mostly 30FPS with dips (i.e. Halo) or 60FPS with dips to 30?

If it is the demo shown recently at some retailer event, the framerate is pretty poor.

I hope the target framerate for the final version is higher than this.

fbg1 said:
Where'd you get the demo?

Hmmm ;) I have a modded Xbox, I'm not sure I should say much more...

marconelly! said:
Can you tell what is the target framerate? Is it mostly 30FPS with dips (i.e. Halo) or 60FPS with dips to 30?

It looks like they're targeting 60, with dips to about 10-15... in some parts it looks absolutely incredibly, lots of shadowing and awesome poly detail and it runs at 60, then other times it runs at 10-15fps and you can't work out why.

It feels good though. When it chugs, it almost feels like it's not chugging... and it doesn't seem to have an adverse effect on gameplay.

Just sounds like they have a lot of optimizing left to do. Nothing to be concerned about.

Why you would need a modded Xbox to play a demo that you can get by pre-ordering the game is beyond me. ;)

As for appearing on the PS2/GCN, I have yet to see any proof of a timed exclusivity deal. People seem to be assuming that's the way it is.

One of Gamespot's newest compilation videos for the game was silky smooth. The demo build still isn't optimized, but the newest game build(s) are.

As for appearing on the PS2/GCN, I have yet to see any proof of a timed exclusivity deal. People seem to be assuming that's the way it is.

Well, not really, there is a press release that say it's coming next year on PS2 and GC, although such things can change.

For example:
http://www.pcvsconsole.com/news/news.php?nid=1358&filter=2
or
http://www.gamers.com/news/1135820

One of Gamespot's newest compilation videos for the game was silky smooth.

Frankly, those show a lot of image tearing. But that could have been because of the video compression.

At TeamXbox.com I remember remember reading a few threads w/ links to places that said it was only coming out on Xbox. UBISOFT also took out the part in all of their press releases saying that it is coming to GC & Xbox in 6 months.

Eminem said:
At TeamXbox.com I remember remember reading a few threads w/ links to places that said it was only coming out on Xbox. UBISOFT also took out the part in all of their press releases saying that it is coming to GC & Xbox in 6 months.

I assume you mean PC and Xbox?

MS are the only ones saying it was only coming to Xbox, Ubi said its coming to GC/PS2, but not until early Q2 2003

I should add there IS a lot of image tearing in game, but apparently it's gone for the final release.

I don't like the jaggy shadows, although the graphics are very nice, with most certainly the best lighting & shadowing I've ever seen! (except maybe DOOM III...).

marconelly!:

> Well, not really, there is a press release that say it's coming next year
> on PS2 and GC ...

Not PS2 and Cube specifically.

In the fall of 2002, Ubi Soft will debut this lone stealth action game worldwide on the Xboxâ„¢ video game system and then follow with the next generation platforms in 2003.

Eminem:

> UBISOFT also took out the part in all of their press releases saying that
> it is coming to GC & Xbox in 6 months.

I assume you mean PS2 and no press release has ever mentioned other platforms besides Xbox and PC by name nor when they would release (other than some time in 2003).

Also, while the press releases no longer talk about Splinter Cell coming to next generation platforms they confirm the existance of other versions through clever wording:

The Xboxâ„¢ and PC versions will be released in time for Christmas.
All Splinter Cell press releases after the first one end with that sentence.

Anyway, Mathieu Ferland (producer of Splinter Cell) confirmed on the Ubi Soft msg boards that Splinter Cell is only exclusive to Xbox in 2002 and while he didn't confirm that there would be Cube and PS2 versions next year he didn't deny it either. My guess is that the deal that exists between Ubi Soft and M$ prevents them (Ubi Soft) from talking about the "other versions".

Back