*spin-off* (?) Xbox One drivers

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
http://www.gameblog.fr/news/38402-xbox-one-des-developpeurs-confient-des-problemes-avec-les-dr

And sources from two very large global publishers (one French and one American) emphasize meet current problems with the drivers for the next gen console from Microsoft.
technological dilemma

Result, according to our information, the two studios would face a dilemma with their technical Xbox One games. Either offer a turning point in 1080p and 30 frames / sec game ... either do 900p but now the 60 frames / sec.

Looks like they need to work on their drivers

It is weird, they said that drivers was updated recently, Dead Rising 3 is running @ 30fps thanks to this.
Updated, just means they were improved, they are no doubt far from the finished article.
It's not weird at all to be honest.

In fact if developers believe their issues are driver related then that means they have confidence in the hardware to do what they want.

Wait...so devs are "forced to choose" between dropping a rather insignificant amount of resolution in order to double the framerate...or not? Since when is that even in the ballpark of bad news? I realize the article says their sources are supposedly struggling with the drivers or whatever, but on the face of it that sounds like a tradeoff nearly any dev would be thrilled to have on their plate.

Wait...so devs are "forced to choose" between dropping a rather insignificant amount of resolution in order to double the framerate...or not? Since when is that even in the ballpark of bad news? I realize the article says their sources are supposedly struggling with the drivers or whatever, but on the face of it that sounds like a tradeoff nearly any dev would be thrilled to have on their plate.
What I take from it, is that they could have both platforms the same, if not for the drivers.
Obviously a choice they would rather not have to make.

In isolation you may be right, but their not talking in that context.
I actually think it sounds better than, XB1 hardware isn't capable hence why we made that choice.
Drivers will improve, and learning how best to make use of the architecture will also.

Well, it sounds downright terrible to me. But it can be also good in the long run, maybe those games will run at a superior resolution after applying a very small patch when the drivers are stable.

More anonymous unsourced sources, this time not just from a blog you've never heard of, but in a foreign language!

Like somebody on GAF said, this could easily just be a roundup of prior news for all we know without being native french speakers. Kind of just sounds like they are recapping the Edge article with the "multiplatforms the same because of pressure" part.

So far I've noticed even the doom and gloom articles seem to admit multiplats will be on par.

More anonymous unsourced sources, this time not just from a blog you've never heard of, but in a foreign language!

Like somebody on GAF said, this could easily just be a roundup of prior news for all we know without being native french speakers. Kind of just sounds like they are recapping the Edge article with the "multiplatforms the same because of pressure" part.

So far I've noticed even the doom and gloom articles seem to admit multiplats will be on par.

From 50% less powerful, the downclock, to yield problem, to driver issue, I wonder who is actually behind this. Some companies had been known to pay people to do this in the past...

Resolution vs double the frame rate sounds like a problem of what they can and cant fit into ESRAM entirely and how the drivers manage that pool better?

From 50% less powerful, the downclock, to yield problem, to driver issue, I wonder who is actually behind this. Some companies had been known to pay people to do this in the past...

Conspiracy? I don't think so, as easy as lets the developers talk about their projects, if there are no issues, then devs will clarify it.

Curiously, Ubisoft has said Watch_Dogs will run at 30FPS in both platforms:

"Right now the frame rate we're focusing on [is] a steady 30 [FPS]," said creative director Jonathan Morin in an interview with VideoGamer. "There's always a balance, especially for open world, between the simulation and the rest. I think for where we are, the most important thing is the steadiness and [ensuring] that it's always capped the same so when you play it it feels right."

EDIT: It looks like Xbox One is under pressure in the system software side:

I've heard from several sources that the new OS engineering team, under Executive Vice President Terry Myerson, is working overtime to finish the Xbox One operating system. Like Windows 8.1, it's a constantly evolving thing. Two sources have told me that Microsoft is reassigning some of its Windows developers to Xbox One to help that team do the fit and finish on the Xbox One OS.

From zdnet (Mary Jo Foley).

Last edited by a moderator:
This is definitely very strange and I'm not sure if I believe it after seeing BF4 on XOne & PS4 and MGSV on XOne and PS4 look so similar.

This is definitely very strange and I'm not sure if I believe it after seeing BF4 on XOne & PS4 and MGSV on XOne and PS4 look so similar.

Well there are few differences between say DR3/Ryse and BF4: One the ones side you have a large company creating a multi platform game so lots of resources and lots of work already done on the PC end of things before porting (assuming that is what is being done). On the other you have smaller devs working on very ambitious exclusive titles.

Obviously all this gets worked out over time but I wonder IF these are drivers issues how the virtual environment may complicate things in these early stages.

Resolution vs double the frame rate sounds like a problem of what they can and cant fit into ESRAM entirely and how the drivers manage that pool better?

This is a thought. Is MS looking to make such management somewhat seamless and automatic in some cases, say a mode that the developer can choose to use so they don't have to manage data and access patterns so much. If some devs use different modes , one managed by the SDK/Drivers ( easier to develop more reliant on MS choices ) or with more fine grained software control ( more work for the dev but more control ), might that correspond to differences in output at this point in the evolution of the console ?

Well there are few differences between say DR3/Ryse and BF4: One the ones side you have a large company creating a multi platform game so lots of resources and lots of work already done on the PC end of things before porting (assuming that is what is being done). On the other you have smaller devs working on very ambitious exclusive titles.

Obviously all this gets worked out over time but I wonder IF these are drivers issues how the virtual environment may complicate things in these early stages.

Well surely if the drivers on the XOne version were heavily lacking the quality would have to lowered right?

From what we've heard BF4 is looking pretty good on XOne and it's running at 900p.

Could this be a driver problem with the new mantle technology they are using? Or is this completely different?

Well it could only mean better performance over time as they get this stuff fixed.

Back