*spin-off* number of online gamers in existence (NOOGIE!)

I think Almighty meant more players online at once in the same gaming instance.

Not total numbers of all players playing across all systems at a single point in time.

It's both to be honest, BF3 is 24 players online on console and 64 players on PC.

Games that are online and multi-platform generally have a higher player count on PC as the machines can handle more.

And I doubt anyone would argue that at any given time on the planet there's more people online gaming on PC then there is console.

I bet more people alone play WoW then most console games.

Ah, anyway its off topic, we don't want to turn this into a vs thread.

True but Google shows ~ 40 million registered Xbox live accounts

World of Warcraft alone pulls 10 million subscribed players, that's 1 PC game totalling for a quarter of the whole of Xbox Live.

And wow accounts for probably more than 1/4 of all pc gaming. Really just start this topic elsewhere this is all going to get deleted anyway.

Dude it's common fact, more people have PC's then consoles so of course there's to be more online PC gamers then there is console gamers, that is just common sense and in my opinion there was no need to make a new thread abut it.

MW3 sold 26 million units on console > 1/2 that was on 360, even that's bigger than the number of WOW accounts.
Now I will buy that a higher percentage of PC players who buy a game like MW3 play online vs console sales, but there would have to be a lot of console owners buying MW3 to play single player before PC had an advantage.

MW3 sold 26 million units on console > 1/2 that was on 360, even that's bigger than the number of WOW accounts.
Now I will buy that a higher percentage of PC players who buy a game like MW3 play online vs console sales, but there would have to be a lot of console owners buying MW3 to play single player before PC had an advantage.

~40 million Xbox live subscriptions in the world as of January 2012 so maybe 45-46 million now?

So it makes no difference how many copies MW3 sold as they limited by the amount of registered accounts which you can is 45-46 million.

WoW is 10 million active players on its own..

League of legends has 32 million registered players!!

The total registered users of those 2 games nearly match the total amount of registered Xbox Live accounts.

You can only do that if there is no overlap between the League of legends player base and the WOW player base, which is clearly no true.
360 Has 40 Million subscribers and there are a similar number of active PS3 online players, again you can't add them up because there is some overlap.

You can only do that if there is no overlap between the League of legends player base and the WOW player base, which is clearly no true.
360 Has 40 Million subscribers and there are a similar number of active PS3 online players, again you can't add them up because there is some overlap.

Makes no difference, you talking of 2 games being right up there with the entirety of Xbox live... 2 games...

The point is that more games doesn't necessarily mean more players. 30million people bought mw3 and 20m bought black ops. That doesn't mean you have more than 30m players playing COD games.

And free to play stuff is an absolutely useless metric of anything, I know people with more than a dozen accounts for some games.

To be honest if you include MMOs, the entire PC gaming pupulations of Korea and China alone would probably more than double the total number of PS360Wii online gamers since their consoles launches.

If you start to include online PC gamers in the US and EU, including countries like germany (which is the biggest gaming market in EU) and is primary a PC gaming haven, I don't think there's any contest between console vs PC in terms of online gamers.

Of course there's no real data on this. Only opinion and hearsay. But i'd still confidently stand by my view that PC gaming >>> Console gaming online

This is another of those crazy topics with arguments not focussed on anything other than disagreeing with people. ;)

If we look purely at number of people on a machine playing games online, PC has the most. There are squillions of people playing MMOs that the consoles don't have.

If we consider number of gamers playing the sorts of core games we think of regards consoles, it's very different. COD and Battlefield sold for smaller numbers on PC than either console, meaning if you're playing these games, PC offers a much smaller number of online gamers to go against. Which is pretty immaterial as long as there's always enough to fill your game, but clearly some people want to argue anyway.

If you start to include online PC gamers in the US and EU, including countries like germany (which is the biggest gaming market in EU) and is primary a PC gaming haven.
Are you sure about that? I can't find any numbers other than a £900 report, but a GI.biz summary says Germany is larger than the UK now, but that's for all revenue including mobile gaming. So the simplification of 'Germany is mostly PC gaming and so their revenue is mostly PC games' is on very shaky ground. It's all about slices of pie for each platform, which are numbers we don't have.

If we look at something like Steam versus Live Gold and PSN accounts, there's no obvious 'most online' answer, especially when those simple account numbers don't tell you how many hours are being player. If, for example, PC had 10x the number of people playing only, but limited to a few games or 30 minutes every few days, whereas Live has less players but gaming more often across more titles, than regarding a given game like COD, you'd find more gamers on the console.

Of course there's no real data on this. Only opinion and hearsay.

Jon Peddle did a report on gamers recently, too bad it's crazy expensive. Does anyone have access?

A number I've heard discussed recently was 400M online gamers for PC, but I think that also counted casual browser games (like farmville).

Generally, for online gaming the PC market has always been considerably larger than the consoles put together, even back when consoles were more of the total gaming market. Now, PC gaming has grown double-digit per year for 4 years straight when the consoles have been shrinking -- no contest.

If we look purely at number of people on a machine playing games online, PC has the most. There are squillions of people playing MMOs that the consoles don't have.
And don't forget Words With Friends, which is both a game and online.

I wonder how longevity compares. I know a lot of PC gamers will continue to play the same game for years and years (for example, WoW and TF2), whereas even the hottest console games tend to be pretty dead after the same length of time. How many PC gamers are still playing COD4 online, for example?

Link? Or is that something you made up because it sounded good?

That was from an internal briefing, so nothing I can link to. However, I cannot really see how anything about that sentence is in any way controversial. Just google "pc gaming growth {2008,2009,2010,2011}".

It's a normal part of the console cycle -- consoles were at their peak and PC was at it's lowest in 2008ish, since then PC keeps getting stronger and the consoles weaker until the new gen comes around and turns the tide.

That was from an internal briefing, so nothing I can link to. However, I cannot really see how anything about that sentence is in any way controversial. Just google "pc gaming growth {2008,2009,2010,2011}".

It's a normal part of the console cycle -- consoles were at their peak and PC was at it's lowest in 2008ish, since then PC keeps getting stronger and the consoles weaker until the new gen comes around and turns the tide.

Does this data take into account the Wii and how it completely stagnated a couple years back? Does it also show growth in MS's console since 2008?

Back