*spin-off* Motion Capture and Animation in Games

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
This is someone else's work on facial animation. Looks very good, though a little comical at times, and the lip-sync isn't quite perfect, but it's certainly impressive.

[gt]38046[/gt]

Fahrenheit started out very good. Making players feel the exact same emotions as the main character had. Sadly it take a turn for the worse near the end, when out of nowhere they force in a sex scene. The story falls apart after that. What started as a great mix between gameplay and story telling, a real step forward for videogames, became as ridiculous as stories have ever been in videogames.

I'm still looking forward to Heavy Rain, or whatever they end up calling it. If they can improve upon what made Fahrenheit great, this could be another step forward in story telling through gameplay.

The advanced mo-cap techniques Sony developers used in Heavenly Sword, R2 and KZ2 help too.

I'm sorry but HS had quite low quality mocap, there was a lot of noise and jittering in the motions, at least in all the movies I've seen at gamersyde and sites like that.

This is someone else's work on facial animation. Looks very good, though a little comical at times, and the lip-sync isn't quite perfect, but it's certainly impressive.

There's years of custom software development behind those animations, and to be honest the girl looks totally unrealistic, like some Barbie doll. The old guys is very, very impressive though.

You are right Shifty, but.
The problem is we're not talking about some crazy artist in search fof perfect shape, hermit obsessed with natural whatever. We're talking about development studio which has limited budget and time constraints. You can extend them for that long.

[gt]38046[/gt]

I paused the video at some scenes and all three of them expressed the same emotion but at the same time slightly differently as if their different personality traits are shown on each face. Thats impressive

I'm sorry but HS had quite low quality mocap, there was a lot of noise and jittering in the motions, at least in all the movies I've seen at gamersyde and sites like that.

According to prior interviews, HS captured large amount of detailed facial expressions and body motion data. The "acting" (or over-acting, as some might say) in the game was rather powerful in expressing emotion as a result.

Whether their mo-cap data was cleaned up sufficiently, well... that depends on how much time they spent to scrub it. As far as I know, KZ2 folks credited HS and Uncharted as lead examples of their current work. I am simply following their references.

According to prior interviews, HS captured large amount of detailed facial expressions and body motion data. The "acting" (or over-acting, as some might say) in the game was rather powerful in expressing emotion as a result.

Whether their mo-cap data was cleaned up sufficiently, well... that depends on how much time they spent to scrub it. As far as I know, KZ2 folks credited HS and Uncharted as lead examples of their current work. I am simply following their references.

The facial animations were great in HS (arguably the best in the industry), though the body Mo Capped animation were light years behind MGS4. I wish those guys from KZ2would learn a thing or two about Mo Cap from Konami instead.

Damn...you can't be more wrong. Best facial animation in a game....they used the very same studio (Weta) that created gollum in LOTR..and their tech had much improved since then. So, way off base there.

The facial animations were great in HS (arguably the best in the industry), though the body Mo Capped animation were light years behind MGS4. I wish those guys from KZ2would learn a thing or two about Mo Cap from Konami instead.

Well... MGS4 has a huge team and a number of years behind them. HS was a close-to-launch title and done by a new team. I am sure KZ2 guys know what to do given enough time and budget. May be the Feb 2009 delay will help.

EDIT: One of the KZ2 AI programmers pointed out in his presentation that clean mo-capped data is important to provide seamless integration for AI-directed animation (e.g. no sliding). So they clearly know about the importance of this issue.

Damn...you can't be more wrong. Best facial animation in a game....they used the very same studio (Weta) that created gollum in LOTR..and their tech had much improved since then. So, way off base there.

Now that you mention it. The character's facial animation reminded me very much of that of Gollum. Especially for Nariko and her retarded little sister or whatever she was. I'm not even joking. It's kind of disgusting when you think about it.

Meh. I hate Nariko.

Nariko is the only heroin in the gaming industry that has a character, a combination of pain, determination and hope,as well as , dismay.

All other female characters are there just for the flesh.:rolleyes:

(the views do not reflect the quality of the gameplay)

Nariko is the only heroin in the gaming industry that has a character, a combination of pain, determination and hope,as well as , dismay.

All other female characters are there just for the flesh.:rolleyes:

(the views do not reflect the quality of the gameplay)

Play, Mass Effect with a female caracter before said this…

And speaking a quality of a game based on so small image size is not really a "analyptic" approach 'cause AA and AF are incresed and we lose a lot of detail, plus close up tio visage with a lot a excess blur for the decor ar not a dof is to stealth all the poor qualities of the back necessary for gotting really good front, a very old method.
But, My hope is this game tell a great story, graphic are only the jacket of the story.;)

IMHO, Kai is a more interesting character than Nariko. But both have emotional performances in the game.

But, My hope is this game tell a great story, graphic are only the jacket of the story.;)

Beyond a certain point, resolution, AA techniques are nice to haves. Life-like look, movements and behaviour may engage the user more (IMHO !)

Play, Mass Effect with a female caracter before said this…

Sorry, but MA with a female character reminded me of GI Jane... I wasn't sure she was a woman, or that she'd be different if she were a man... :!:

Farhenheit was a good game but to me the quick time events killed it... The story started with great atmosphere but went down the cliche road especially while getting closer to the end...
With these kind of graphics, and the goal they seem to have set (virtual actor performances) they better have a great story to go along. It would suck if their virtual actors deliver the goods but the story is uninteresting. Not even DeNiro can save a bad script...

So, way off base there.

You're going on ignore, too.

Edit: just to put things into perspective. I've been working at a studio where we had a Vicon8 system, I've helped setting it up, I've been out drinking with the Vicon technical guy, I've been motion captured myself. I've seen a lot of mocap data through my life and I can recognize noisy motion. I am not going to argue with some fan about what I see.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are quite a number of Sony first party games that focus heavily on motion capturing, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Resistance 2, and Killzone 2. If they share all that experience with Quantic Dream, they should have a good change of raising the bar again.

Edit: removed off topic talk.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're going on ignore, too.

Edit: just to put things into perspective. I've been working at a studio where we had a Vicon8 system, I've helped setting it up, I've been out drinking with the Vicon technical guy, I've been motion captured myself. I've seen a lot of mocap data through my life and I can recognize noisy motion. I am not going to argue with some fan about what I see.

When you say "you've seen it via video" and you're arguing that the team that began the improvement of facial animation in movies (WETA), now does "crap animation" then you're going to have to ask yourself..."the evidence is backed against me, maybe I should buy the game and see for myself."

Because HS has some of the most emotive characters in videogames and film - there's some insane facial animations that make you go "wow, that's amazing how they got that emotion accross". HS is the standard. And there's no point being stubborn about it. Play the game.

And don't delete these post, it's important to reply to someone who says "I'm right even though I haven't played the game, and anyone who has played the game is not worth arguing with."

As for Heavy Rain, my hopes are high for the animation, because that was their main concentration.

And don't delete these post, it's important to reply to someone who says "I'm right even though I haven't played the game, and anyone who has played the game is not worth arguing with."

As you can judge the emotions and face animations on a CGI movie or real movie you can to of the HS cutscene videos both ingame or by downloading and seeing a hi-def 720p video. The upclose face animations are clear in both forms.

Back