Spiderman Exclusivity lack-of-fallout thread *spawn

http://marvel.com/news/video_games/26283/spider-man_returns_on_playstation_4

Doesn't seem like a multiplat according to Marvel. And the description from Insomniac

I find it interesting that there isn't the same backlash for Sony doing this as there was for Rise of the Tomb Raider where the exact same things were said. I'm not surprised, of course, double standards and all. But it's certainly quite interesting. Especially when none of the parties involved with the Spiderman game are in such a state that they require outside help in order to finish a Spiderman game.

Yup. Amusing. I always knew the only reason there was an outcry was because Microsoft were doing it. That if Sony had done it, there would be almost no complaints. And this just proves it.

For a franchise that has even more multi-platform history than Tomb Raider. Yup.

Regards,
SB

I find it interesting that there isn't the same backlash for Sony doing this as there was for Rise of the Tomb Raider where the exact same things were said. I'm not surprised, of course, double standards and all. But it's certainly quite interesting. Especially when none of the parties involved with the Spiderman game are in such a state that they require outside help in order to finish a Spiderman game.

Yup. Amusing. I always knew the only reason there was an outcry was because Microsoft were doing it. That if Sony had done it, there would be almost no complaints. And this just proves it.

For a franchise that has even more multi-platform history than Tomb Raider. Yup.

Regards,
SB
Joke post?

A game in the Spiderman Franchise. And a game in the Tomb Raider franchise.

Was there also outrage that Bayonetta sequel was a Nintendo franchise instead of multiplatform? I remember there was some sadness, but people weren't ripping into Nintendo with the savagery they were ripping into Microsoft.

Microsoft gets a lot of hate for being Microsoft. Pardon me if I expect people to rationally treat what companies do equally.

Regards,
SB

A game in the Spiderman Franchise. And a game in the Tomb Raider franchise.

Was there also outrage that Bayonetta sequel was a Nintendo franchise instead of multiplatform? I remember there was some sadness, but people weren't ripping into Nintendo with the savagery they were ripping into Microsoft.

Microsoft gets a lot of hate for being Microsoft. Pardon me if I expect people to rationally treat what companies do equally.

Regards,
SB
Apples and oranges.
They are using the Spiderman IP but clearly this is a completely new game. Or if it's a sequel to a past Spiderman game then you will have to show me which one.
Whereas ROTR was a sequel to Tomb Raider 2013, a multi-generation multiplatform game.

And actually yeah, there was tons of outrage for Boyenatta 2 going WiiU exclusive.

Yup another Sony bought exclusive of a multiplatform series. Nope, no backlash. Only happens if it's Microsoft. Meh, whatever, I should be used to it by now since it happens year after year, but I expected better from users of this forum.

Regards,
SB

Except Capcom also released the PC version alongside to PS4 date to date. Ono said they made it console exclusive to PS4 because at the time MS did not allow crossplay between other platforms.
The same reason why there's no FF14 on the Xbox One.

Last edited:
Well no. They've owned Spiderman for decades.

1. Sony buys Spiderman for decades - one of the worlds most famous and most recognizable pop-culture icons, popular across all age groups and all demographics
2. Microsoft buys timed-exclusive rights to a single Tomb Raider game

2 is worse than 1 ... wtf?

1. Sony buys Spiderman for decades - one of the worlds most famous and most recognizable pop-culture icons, popular across all age groups and all demographics

So is the Tomb Raider franchise. Seriously, what's with the spin?

London-boy is mostly right, Sony has owned the rights to Spider-Man since 1999. That doesn't mean that every Spider-Man game has to be Sony exclusive.

It's not that simple. It's not like Sony purchased the rights of Spider-Man to prevent every Spider-Man game from being released on other platforms... Azbat's post proves that. There have been (non-Sony published) Spider-Man games that were multiplatform.

This game is published and funded by Sony, so it is very much a Sony project. Why would they fund a game to be released on other platforms? This would be no different than say Sony publishing and funding Resistance and releasing it on XB360. Why would they do that?

RoTR, on the other hand, is a sequel to a successful remake of Tomb Raider which was multiplatform (and sold better on PlayStation). We don't have the details on the development on this game, but it is highly likely that this game was going to be made with or without Microsoft's help. It was announced with no platforms given. It is clear (to me anyway) that Microsoft simply paid for timed exclusivity... there's (IMO) no other logical explanation. But you guys are free to think how you want. Either way, it's not the same at all (neither is SFV, as proven by messyman).

Last edited:
You're right. It is totally different. Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive so PS4 owners will eventually get to play it. That Spiderman game will never come to Xbox One.
Yup, how dare Sony fund and publish a game to a franchise they own and not release it on the competitor's platform. What a terrible company.

Shame on Microsoft for buying Gears of War and not releasing any of their games on PlayStation.

Back