Space Shuttle Launch Video

edit: SRB video was way cooler than the 'recommended' and not obnoxiously over-exposed.

There's a video of Joe Kittinger parachuting from a helium baloon near space(~30 km / ~100 000 feet) in 1960 that's even cooler and not ultra-over exposed like this one. There should also be a video of david simons jump from a similar altitude somewhere but I can't find that at all.

Sadly the best I can find on the web is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MkB6NkQscI . You'll have to ignore the non-sensical montage of surfers at the end of the video which is just plain weird.

And this from discovery http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-369888258105653405&q=joe+kittinger . I've seen better videos on some documentary years ago. But it doesn't seem to be available online.

From an interview with Kittinger:

"It took an hour and a half to get to altitude. It was cold. At 40,000 feet, the glove on my right hand hadn't inflated. I knew that if I radioed my doctor, he would abort the flight. If that happened, I knew I might never get another chance because there were lots of people who didn't want this test to happen. I took a calculated risk that I might lose use of my right hand. It quickly swelled up, and I did lose use for the duration of the flight. But the rest of the pressure suit worked. When I reached 102,800 feet, maximum altitude, I wasn't quite over the target. So I drifted for eleven minutes. The winds were out of the east."

"You can see about 400 miles in every direction. The most fascinating thing is that it's just black overhead-the transition from normal blue to black is very stark. You can't see stars because there's a lot of glare from the sun, so your pupils are too small. I was struck with the beauty of it. But I was also struck by how hostile it is: more than 100 degrees below zero, no air. If my protection suit failed, I would be dead in a few seconds. Blood actually boils above 62,000 feet. I went through my 46-step checklist, disconnected from the balloon's power supply, and lost all communication with the ground.

I was totally under power from the kit on my back. When everything was done, I stood up, turned around to the door, took one final look out and said a silent prayer: "Lord, take care of me now." Then I just jumped over the side."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back