SP5 and SP2

mkillio

Regular
I was just wondering if there are going to being changes in SP2 for XP and SP5 for 2k besides securitiy updates. Also is there an official release date for SP2 yet?

mkillio said:
I was just wondering if there are going to being changes in SP2 for XP and SP5 for 2k besides securitiy updates. Also is there an official release date for SP2 yet?

SP2 should be out next week. The improvements is mostly to do with security the build in firewall has been wastly improved, support for the NX-bit is added etc.

Small things like a popup-blocker is added to IE, there are hundreds of small changes and bug-fixes. You can read more about SP2 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

SP2 final has been released for beta testers already - if everything will be OK, it should be out within 2 weeks.

Well actually, WinXP SP2 was released to manufacturers. It would take something major to delay it longer.

MS Announcement of SP2 RTM.

REDMOND, Wash. - Aug. 6, 2004 -- Microsoft Corp. today announced the release to manufacturing of Windows® XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies. This free service pack delivers the latest security updates and innovations from Microsoft, establishes strong default security settings, and adds new proactive protection features that will help better safeguard computers from hackers, viruses and other security risks.

Mine says it's RTM as well:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
(...)
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

Is there a site I can go to where I can download SP's/updates and be able to save them so I can put them on a cd. I set up alot of peoples computers and downloading SP's takes a very long time.

It's not available yet - it should be within days and you'll be able to download the full package. Look for "redistributable" or "network install" or "offline" package version.

PS: BTW on pirated channels I'm already seeing "Microsoft.Windows.XP.Corporate.Edition.SP2.Integrated.INTERNAL-MaGE" named full iso...

Back