South Park takes on Scientology!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
OMG I almost hurt myself laughing at last nights episode, 'specially the ending.

Anyone else see it, catch a re-run if you didn't because they tore scientology a new one! :LOL:

In part of last night episode they did an animated version of what the scientologists really believe, and it was the straight truth and funny enough to almost make me wet my pants....specially when they had the caption, "SCIENTOLOGISTS REALLY BELIEVE THIS", come up! :LOL:

John Travolta and Tom Cruise were portrayed in it as well...

i thought the beat the "in the closet" thing to death.

is that what scientologists believe? the dc8's, Xinu (unix backwards...stands for "xinu is not unix" though unix isn't an acronym). the frozen aliens...volcanoes.

anyone know this? how?

Cartoon Corpse said:
is that what scientologists believe? the dc8's, Xinu (unix backwards...stands for "xinu is not unix" though unix isn't an acronym). the frozen aliens...volcanoes.

anyone know this? how?
Yeah, that is....and it's spelled "Xenu".

As for how, there are more than a few people who have either lost family or themselves to scientology but were lucky enough to get out. A lot of 'em spend quite a bit of time trying to get the truth of the organization out:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Secrets/

and my personal fave:

http://www.xenu.net/

Oh, almost forgot....here's the quick and dirty version, including the story told in Hubbard's own handwriting:

http://www.xenu.net/archive/OTIII-scholar/

suryad said:
That episode was hilarious.
"SUE ME!!!"
Did you notice all the names in the credits of this one were John Smith or Jane Smith after he screamed that?
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

digitalwanderer said:
Did you notice all the names in the credits of this one were John Smith or Jane Smith after he screamed that?
rofl.gif
:LOL:

I don't watch southpark, potty-humor doesn't appeal enough to me. But those guys can be funny, or they were, around 700 episodes ago when I last watched the show. ;) Dunno now, after nine years tho... Haven't they DONE all the jokes they can already? Heck, Eric & gang ought to be old enough to graduate highschool by now! :p

Guden Oden: I too had lost interest in Southpark after a couple of years, I just couldn't be bothered anymore. But I've begun to catch more of the recent episodes and I must say that they're often quite hilarious! I find them much better again, compared to what I last saw (seasons 3-4)...

I don't watch southpark, potty-humor doesn't appeal enough to me

I'm surprised you haven't heard. South Park has evolved to more of a biting (but hilarious) social commentary.

In fact, for the past 5+ seasons it's mostly abandoned the "OMG LOOK LITTLE KIDS ARE SWEARING" concept.

Blade said:
I'm surprised you haven't heard.
Well, maybe because nobody that I know watches southpark, and it's not on any national TV channel that I know of... Even the team america: world police movie didn't reach cinemas here I think.

In fact, for the past 5+ seasons it's mostly abandoned the "OMG LOOK LITTLE KIDS ARE SWEARING" concept.
That's interesting. And good for them I suppose, because I was really wondering how first-graders speaking dirty words and joking about anuses and such could carry them along for nearly a decade of TV episodes. :)

South Park has been getting worse and worse, starting with the 7th season. Season 8 and 9 are just bad. SP used to be random madness with some social commentary humor thrown into it but recently they just pick one issue, make an episode out of it and everything just revolves around that issue.

SP is going the way of MAD magazine. MAD was funny when they had Don Martin and Spy vs Spy and all that stuff that didn't make much sense but was genuinly funny. Then they turned to movie spoofs and parody of current events and the whole thing turned shit.

I didn't think the Mormon episode was particularly good but it was watchable. Sadly, it was one of the better episodes of that season. The Scientology episode had a lot of promise but in the end it was disappointing.

These more recent South Park episodes are too much about topic of the episode and neglect what makes South Park funny.

When I look at my favourite episode list there is barely any Season 8 and 9 in it. I'd probably rate only "Woodland Critter Christmas" as a classic.

Just compare the Mormon and Scientology episodes to the double episode in which Cartman founds his own fundie Christian church ("Do the Handicapped go to Hell?" and "Probably") and you'll see what I mean. Or Jewbilee.

They've run out of ideas. There are plenty of topics for them to makes episodes about but these episodes lack any creativity and are too narrowly focused on their "message" or whatever you want to call it.

I love it, and I think that it keeps getting better. I thought they overplayed the Closet thing in the recent episode, but the episode was still funny.

One of my favorite episodes was from this season, the one where Mr. Garrison gets a vaginaplasty. Classic.

L233 said:
South Park has been getting worse and worse, starting with the 7th season. Season 8 and 9 are just bad. SP used to be random madness with some social commentary humor thrown into it but recently they just pick one issue, make an episode out of it and everything just revolves around that issue.

SP is going the way of MAD magazine. MAD was funny when they had Don Martin and Spy vs Spy and all that stuff that didn't make much sense but was genuinly funny. Then they turned to movie spoofs and parody of current events and the whole thing turned shit.

I didn't think the Mormon episode was particularly good but it was watchable. Sadly, it was one of the better episodes of that season. The Scientology episode had a lot of promise but in the end it was disappointing.

These more recent South Park episodes are too much about topic of the episode and neglect what makes South Park funny.

When I look at my favourite episode list there is barely any Season 8 and 9 in it. I'd probably rate only "Woodland Critter Christmas" as a classic.

Just compare the Mormon and Scientology episodes to the double episode in which Cartman founds his own fundie Christian church ("Do the Handicapped go to Hell?" and "Probably") and you'll see what I mean. Or Jewbilee.

They've run out of ideas. There are plenty of topics for them to makes episodes about but these episodes lack any creativity and are too narrowly focused on their "message" or whatever you want to call it.
I rather liked this episode.
I mean how could you not like the 15 minute closet gag?
And how could you not like them making fun a religion for rich idiots?

Back