Source: A capable outdoor engine?

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
Look, I had no idea!

de_chateau_outdoors.jpg

edit: oops you'd need my pw for the slideshow of other pics :)

Sorry,but this screenshot looks like crap. CryENGINE eats it for breakfast...
Ugly texture pattern and hard transition in the bottom of the hills...
And there is also no trees/rivers. Its hard to judge if the engine is really capable of rendering good outdoor scenes...

RejZoR said:
Sorry,but this screenshot looks like crap. CryENGINE eats it for breakfast...
Ugly texture pattern and hard transition in the bottom of the hills...
And there is also no trees/rivers. Its hard to judge if the engine is really capable of rendering good outdoor scenes...

The things you mention don't have anything to do with the game engine, do they? Just a matter of level design...

What you can see, is the atmospheric perspective. The way that the colors become less saturated, and a bit shifted towards blue, in the distance. That is something the game engine must perform.
Saturation decrease seems ok... Bit difficult about the color shift. That's only visible on really large distances.

Ylandro said:
What you can see, is the atmospheric perspective. The way that the colors become less saturated, and a bit shifted towards blue, in the distance. That is something the game engine must perform.
Saturation decrease seems ok... Bit difficult about the color shift. That's only visible on really large distances.
Seems like it's just using the fog function with a bright blue fog color.

And again, it is just a 3d skybox. You can't even ghost around out there, just look out at it from inside the map. Athough it does serve it's purpose well.

Ylandro said:
Just a matter of level design...

Exactly, if you can render such a big scene, only your hammer skills restrict you from doing a far cryanic level :)

The shot is indeed majorly only a shot of 3d skybox but if such scene can be rendered, I'd imagine one could just as well do as big a walkable and drivable level, with better details without modifying the rendering engine.

The shot in its self isn't supposed to be impressive and I'd even imagine they didn't intend it to be looked at like that either. That said, you'd be hard pressed to be able to make even such a relatively simple outdoor scene with doom3 engine for instance.

Well, now we only need to wait for the mod people to do their magic :)

This shot only proves that there isn't some arbitrary hard-coded limitation in the engine that prevents large area rendering.
If one were to strip a vista down to bare, funky-textured terrain, with absolutely nothing but a skybox and ambient lighting, I don't think any engine from the past five years or more couldn't handle it.

Once they load it up with something besides a thousand repeats of the same texture, I'm sure we will see how strong Source is for outdoor places.

Ylandro said:
bloodbob said:
LFS = CRAP
RHS = Good

What do these acronyms stand for?

LHS= left hand side :p you can guess the other one. Just the simple single tiled texture isn't good enough the right hand side shows off something that is *reasonable* good probably isn't the right word. Out door scenes like this sort of make light maps irrelivant :/

It looks like the left side is normal heigh-mapped terrain and the hills on the right are separate meshes, hence the harsh texturing difference. Without work, an Unreal Engine terrain scene can look just as bad. Good terrain in the Unreal Engine is achieved by effort on the part of the artists, not just by the engine's technology. The various textures are "painted" on in several layers with alpha masks. Anyway, I doubt that Source is incapable of doing the same. It's a fundamental concept of detail terrain texturing.

I didn't say that Source is incapable of rendering outdoor sceenes,but CryEngine for example was designed with huge landscapes in mind.
It can render indoor scenes too,but its primary job is outdoor scenes full of vegetation and miles of terrain. Source was designed with mix of these two environments. Or for example the graphic engine from Mercedes World Racing which was capable of rendering really impresive detailed huge landscape with all special effects available to date.

Back