Sorry, had to brag

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by linthat22, Aug 12, 2006.

1. linthat22

Regular

I lucked out today. I went to the local used books and more place here in town and got a used copy of Half Life 2 GOTY edition for $6.50 tax and all. Pretty cool huh?

Anyway, they also had Airforce Delta Storm for Xbox (finally), but didn't get it. They were wanting 22 bucks for it. The other used games were 19.99, they must know how hard it is to find that game (at least around here).

2. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

Isn't a second hand copy of HL2 basically a coaster (perhaps unless you know the original owner) due to Steam?

3. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Yep, if it's a genuine version and it's been registered (which it has to be in order to play it) then the registration key is useless as it's now tied to someone else's Steam account. It's always possible that it's never been used and the reg key is still "virgin".

4. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

It seems Valve may have reconsidered this. They still have a FAQ page saying that you're basically SOL in such a situation, but now they also have a CD-key reset procedure.

#4 Zaphod, Aug 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2006
  5. linthat22

Regular

Sorry guys, I was playing tonight and it allowed me to register and all that jazz (no issues).

maybe I lucked out?

6. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Sounds like you did, if you registered and you're playing than it's all good and you won. :)

7. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

IIRC, they charge you a $10 admin fee and you have to prove you bought it.

Guess that means although it was second hand, it had never been used. Maybe someone bought it who isn't connected to the internet?

8. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

No fee for any of the more recent games like HL2. I guess they may have changed that policy after the fact as well. I pasted the wrong link before (fixed now), so it wasn't clear. Sorry about that. And yeah, they want photographic proof that you have the CD/Key in your possession.

Anyway: Glad it worked out for linthat22 without any hassle. A bargain indeed.

9. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

You do not need a internet connection to register the product. Steam games have offline modes and you can do registration over the phone.

Either way, since it worked with no support needed then that's one heck of a bargin.

10. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

I picked up a Perdition's Blade in WoW yesterday.

I too had to brag...