Sony Wanted to partner with Sega, says Former Sega President

Did you know that Sony and Sega almost partnered on a new video game console in the early '90s? Former Sega President Tom Kalinske has revealed that the two companies had developed a great relationship working on Sega CD, and Sony wanted to partner with Sega, but Sega Japan ultimately said no. More within...

that is before they went to develop the SNES and CD drive machine? sorry i cant read the link you provided further at work , stupid firewall

hey69 said:
that is before they went to develop the SNES and CD drive machine? sorry i cant read the link you provided further at work , stupid firewall
Alright then:

"One of the interesting things to me is that one of our strongest partners in developing for that platform was Sony. And Sony didn't have a hardware division (at least for video games) at the time. They had a software division run by Olaf Olafsson, who was a great partner to us. They spent lots of money developing games for the Sega CD (probably more than we did), we gave them technical help...a lot of it, we loaned them people; and there was really this wonderful collaborative effort," he said. "We each benefited from each other's work, and I think that's one of the things that has been forgotten in video game industry lore or history: that this very strong bond existed back then between the two companies. In fact, taking it to the next step, at one point Olaf, Mickey Shulhoff (former Sony of America CEO), and I discussed that since we had such a great relationship from working on the Sega CD, why don't we take what we've learned from our software developers - their input - and use it as the criteria for what the next optical platform ought to be."

Kalinske continued, "So we got all that and put it together so that it wasn't just pure engineeringese (jargon) but something that people could understand. I remember we had a document that Olaf and Mickey took to Sony that said they'd like to develop jointly the next hardware - the next game platform, with Sega, and here's what we think it ought to do. Sony apparently gave the green light to that. I took it to Sega of Japan and told them that this was what we thought an ideal platform would be - at least from an U.S. perspective - based on what we've learned from the Sega CD, and our involvement with Sony and our own people. Sega said not a chance. Why would it want to share a platform with Sony? Sega would be much better off just developing its own platform, and it's nice that we had some ideas on what that platform ought to be and they'd consider it, but the company would be developing its next platform itself."

"When you think back on that position, it's an interesting one. We all knew we were going to lose money on the hardware, so our proposal was that each of us would sell this joint Sega/Sony hardware platform; we'll share the loss on the hardware (whatever that is, we'll split it), combine our advertising and marketing, but we'll each be responsible for the software sales we'll generate. Now, at that particular point in time, Sega knew how to develop software a hell of a lot better than Sony did. They were just coming up the learning curve, so we would have benefited much more greatly - at least in my opinion - than Sony would have, at least initially, at least for a year or two. But Sega of Japan didn't want any of that."

I should have been kind of hard or fustrating for those two companies (Nintendo and Sega) to see that the same company they didnt accept as a partner, ended up beating them in that console generation.

Great interview!

Great interview - thanks for the link!

Interesting that both Nintendo and Sega created this Playstation monster! I wonder how things would have turned out if Sony were teamed with Sega still. Also the insight of what would become n64 is interesting as well. I'd like to see an in depth interview with a Nintendo executive of the same timeframe to get the full story along with the Sony side of the story too. :smile:

There are some interesting parallels in this interview of company standings and their viewpoints of the time and where those viewpoints and decisions lead them to. ;)

TheChefO said:
Interesting that both Nintendo and Sega created this Playstation monster! I wonder how things would have turned out if Sony were teamed with Sega still.
Yes, poetic irony, and a great example of where not cooperating in irder to secure all the moeny ends up with you having none (or less). If they had 'shared the wealth' SEGA may have been in a very position now, working on the SEGA PlayStation 3. Though, where does Kutaragi fit in? PlayStation was his idea of an alternative to the workstation as a source of entertainment. If this SEGA joint venture had gone ahead (or the Nintendo one) would Kutaragi be in a totally different position, not even involved in games consoles?

Shifty Geezer said:
Yes, poetic irony, and a great example of where not cooperating in irder to secure all the moeny ends up with you having none (or less). If they had 'shared the wealth' SEGA may have been in a very position now, working on the SEGA PlayStation 3. Though, where does Kutaragi fit in? PlayStation was his idea of an alternative to the workstation as a source of entertainment. If this SEGA joint venture had gone ahead (or the Nintendo one) would Kutaragi be in a totally different position, not even involved in games consoles?

I think Kutaragi would have still been a very influential designer/executive at this point, however I also believe two things would be very different. I think "Playstation" would not have been quite the success it was if Sega (Japan) was involved and I think Kutaragi would have consequently been much less dominating in his vision for what playstation would ultimately become. Eventually Sega would have probably just been bought by Sony and added as the Sony "game devision" with Kutaragi probably either leading it or being very close to the top. It would be interesting to see what Sony corporate thought of this "playstation" initiative and what they expected of it.

Looking back though at how Sony attacked the 32-bit era, they made all the right moves. They had a powerful and easy to develop for platform. They had every influential 3rd party dev lined up. And they had the perfect "system":
-Cd-rom based games (cheap / expansive)
-Perfect controller (radically different at the time but felt like butter in the hands)
-Memory cards (profitable and you could take your "game saves" with you)
-PS linking for two player with two screens (that rocked with NFS!)
-Reputable name
-etc

I could think of nothing that was not a significant improvement over the prior generation. Playstation was nothing short of a revolution. I wonder how much of this was Sony's ideas though and not ideas which were collaborative with Sega/Nintendo in their ill-fated console attempts because as a gamer looking at it at the time, they made every right move they could make and to do so without prior experience is simply amazing.:cool:

When Playstation as an alone console project started and all the people started to hear rumours about the GigaDrive (32 bits system with the same power than System32 and Model1 and with CD-ROM drive) Sony was making games for the SegaCD, I am not surprised for this revelation.

I am sure that Sony had Saturn and 3DO specs before the machines were launched to the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey69 said:

No, it would be after... If Kalinske was dealing with Olaf Olafsson then that would be '91 and later. The SNES-CD contract was done back '88 and pretty much shredded by Yamauchi in '91...

The amusing apsect of the interview is when Kalinske points out how bad the MegaDrive had been doing in Japan. The irony is that the one Sega system that most folks in NA and EU consider a total flop (the Saturn) was Sega's most successful system in Japan (all the others were pretty much flops).

TheChefO said:
Looking back though at how Sony attacked the 32-bit era, they made all the right moves. They had a powerful and easy to develop for platform. They had every influential 3rd party dev lined up. And they had the perfect "system":
-Cd-rom based games (cheap / expansive)
-Perfect controller (radically different at the time but felt like butter in the hands)
-Memory cards (profitable and you could take your "game saves" with you)
-PS linking for two player with two screens (that rocked with NFS!)
-Reputable name
-etc

It seems like that in retrospect, however at the time many of those aspects were either deemed controversial or "What the hell is Sony thinking?" moments...

While CD-ROMs were definately cheaper to manufacture compared to masked-ROM carts, the inventory and distribution systems for CD-ROM based games (already quite popular with the PC Engine and later with the Saturn) we quite archaic (no different than carts), and nullified the cost benefits of CDs. That was one thing that Sony did radically change vs. the competitors, although very few people are aware of it.

Also the name was hardly reputable in the console business. In fact Sony faced quite a bit more developer opposition getting into the industry than Microsoft did with the Xbox (Microsoft already having a well established PC game studios vs. Sony who had 3 guys working on SFC titles in a corner office at Epic Sony Records in Tokyo). It wasn't until '93 that Sony could even convince a 3rd party (Namco) to even give a serious look at their system, and that was by in part a bit of good fortune because Virtua Fighter had just come out...

archie4oz said:
It seems like that in retrospect, however at the time many of those aspects were either deemed controversial or "What the hell is Sony thinking?" moments...

The cd-rom move regardless of distribution method was unquestionably the right move. Even if the medium was on equal footing price wise with distribution initially, everyone knew this medium would enable cheaper games eventually (platinum series/greatest hits etc) which would be great for consumers,publishers and retailers.

The actual name of the unit I remember being a questionable move in the states and it was assumed it would get a different name as was always the case for every console prior. But yet again they made the right move by focusing on one brand and pushing it worldwide. Their marketing campaign in the states was also flawless (if not a bit misleading).

you are not e :cool:

TheChefO said:
The cd-rom move regardless of distribution method was unquestionably the right move. Even if the medium was on equal footing price wise with distribution initially, everyone knew this medium would enable cheaper games eventually (platinum series/greatest hits etc) which would be great for consumers,publishers and retailers.

Except for the 7-8 years before the Playstation launch CD based console games were being produced, and had yet proven to be more cost effective... So while everyone expected and assumed it would happen, it had really get proven to be the case.

Back