SONY use PGR3 screenie to sell GT:HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've fixed it already. All I can say is...wow, I didn't know Sony had finally got a decent content portal for PSP! Can the PSP play these movies directly?

Maybe this is a cunning bit of viral marketing to bring the site to the Interweb's collective attention.

I don't think you could call this cunning. Generally you don't want people coming to your site for negative reasons, and with the way the internet is today (where it's pick on sony day, every day), you'd think they'd try to avoid something like this as much as possible.

It was probably some harmless goof up... it doesn't really matter. PGR3 doesn't look as good anyways =p

Oh dear, it goes from bad to worse for Sony's marketing department. What on earth are they playing at, and how could they allow themselves to get caught out in such a blatant way!

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/25/sony-site-confuses-gt-hd-with-pgr3/

Sony doesn't have *a* "marketing department"... Nor do marketing departments manage website design...

bobbler said:
I don't think you could call this cunning.

Indeed.. More like a big ooops. Usually promotional material goes through legal before the designer can push it live, so it's rather amusing that this went though (OTOH Connect's traffic is low enough that I'm rather amused it got noticed).

Honestly... Sony's Marketing department must have been paid so much due to the PS1 and PS2 success, that now they just don't care anymore. Either that or they spent it all on alcohol and drugs...

Honestly... Sony's Marketing department must have been paid so much due to the PS1 and PS2 success, that now they just don't care anymore. Either that or they spent it all on alcohol and drugs...

SONY's marketing department had other projects that backfired a few months ago like that PSP website with glowing praise from fake consumers and that PSP graffiti marketing campaign fiasco, so I'd say they spent it on alcohol and drugs. :LOL:

It's an ad agency fuck-up, not a Sony fuck-up.
Sure, Sony's accepted the website design, but it's not very realistic to expect someone at Sony marketing who accepts these things to be able to tell easily the image was from PGR3, hell I was fooled 100%.
How easy it is for some gaming-illiterate AD to file a PGR3 image with the name "GT_car_graphixx.tif", or accidentally pull out an image from the "Generic car game graphics" folder where he had previously saved a cool image he'd received for previous assignment from Microsoft.

BTW - isn't the title of this thread wrong? GT:HD is a free download, so they're not using PGR3 to sell anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back