Sony & Sega are bringing Outrun 2 exclusively to PS2

This I cannot believe..
OutRun2 is coded on chihiro, the xbox arcade board which is sole purpose (besides having great looking arcade games) is to make ports easy between chihiro-based arcades and Xbox...

Sega IS stupid enough to do this though. May as well put the final nail in the diehard Sega fan's coffin just so they can sell 100k copies on PS2 instead of 80k copies on Xbox. :rolleyes:

If they do it then they probably got paid loads of money on top of any potential sales.

Me dont believe the rumour, it sounds silly at face value.

Johnny Awesome said:
Sega IS stupid enough to do this though. May as well put the final nail in the diehard Sega fan's coffin just so they can sell 100k copies on PS2 instead of 80k copies on Xbox. :rolleyes:

And of course not even consider selling 200k+ copies on GCN....

Sorry Tag, but when it comes to SEGA and its games Johnny knows what he's talking about more than most people on this forum. The game would sell like crap on the GCN and even I will admit to that. It well sell a whole lot better on the PS2.

Funny thing is, I cannot confirm this to be true or not. I had no idea it was exclusive to the PS2, so it might not be true. If it is, then I had no prior information. If it is true then Yu Suzuki is an idiot to do that to all his fans. It would be much better off exclusive to Xbox than exclusive to the PS2, and I mean that regarding sales as well. If this is true and I have it my way then the game won't be published by SEGA in the US. Simple as that.

Sonic said:
Sorry Tag, but when it comes to SEGA and its games Johnny knows what he's talking about more than most people on this forum. The game would sell like crap on the GCN and even I will admit to that. It well sell a whole lot better on the PS2.

Why? Compare most of Sega's GCN game sales to the other consoles.

That's easy to do. Compare racing games on the GCN to the other consoles. Looks to me as if the other two consoles really have it better off when it comes to racing games. Outrun 2 would sell poorly on the GCN even next to a way inferior PS2 version. The best I can give you as an example would be like having Sonic R2 on Xbox and Daytona 3 on GCN. In reality, it is the other way around, although both games never got past the concept phase. That is for home systems of course.

There's really not much use arguing it. I've got the detailed data sitting here and it's what I have to look at every other day.

Sonic said:

Funny thing is, I cannot confirm this to be true or not. I had no idea it was exclusive to the PS2, so it might not be true. If it is, then I had no prior information. If it is true then Yu Suzuki is an idiot to do that to all his fans. It would be much better off exclusive to Xbox than exclusive to the PS2, and I mean that regarding sales as well. If this is true and I have it my way then the game won't be published by SEGA in the US. Simple as that.

And the above statement folks, is a perfect example why gamers consider sega to be run by monkeys when it comes to business.</IBM psychoanalyst>

That's easy to do. Compare racing games on the GCN to the other consoles. Looks to me as if the other two consoles really have it better off when it comes to racing games. Outrun 2 would sell poorly on the GCN even next to a way inferior PS2 version.

Well there's also the factor that when a console lacks a specific genre, whoever release a good game of that genre on that console will get huge sales from having no competition and fans starving for it. Go ask Jason Rubin. There's no racing games of the genre on gamecube so i dont know how you can say it would assurely do bad. There was no resident evil on gamecube, until it was released and managed over a million worldwide, who would of thought uh? Certainly not sega monkeys.

Inferior ps2 version? I really really dont see what outrun2 is doing thats so special that PS2 couldnt handle.

Bottom line, either GC or PS2 would be much better financially for sega than xbox. Xbox has only been a freaking disaster for sega, i cant believe someone like you sonic would still prefer sega to continue xbox support when both PS2 and GC have shown much better results. The only excuse i could see is "because our fans are on xbox", but even then.. why the hell arent they buying your games then?

The best way to determine this is to look at Burnout 2 sales figures across the PS2 and GCN (dont know if it was released for XBOX, methinks it was).

That's how you compare Cyborg....not by making blanket statements, cos Sonic did say he has DATA in his hands.

So if anyone knows, how did Burnout and NFS: HP2 do on three different platforms. If everything is what you say Cyborg then GCN did the best in terms of sales regardless of the quality of the games as the quality is about the same across the different consoles (i.e. no one console is lacking in features or gameplay in anyway).

Cyborg said:
Inferior ps2 version? I really really dont see what outrun2 is doing thats so special that PS2 couldnt handle.

Well, I won't argue with the air as there is no evidence nor fact that supports GC/X-BOX version is superior comparing to PS2 version.

We can only say so much when there is the same game that exists on every console and we compare. Other than that, we are arguing with the air. It is at most a speculation.

Let's wait until the PS2 game came out and compare with the ARCADE chihiro (don't degrade my loved name for one of my favourite anime "sen to chihiro no kamikakushi") before we reach any conclusion the PS2 version is inferior.

We see the strength of X-BOX, but we don't see the good games that really differentiate it from the PS2 nor the Cube.

BTW, Cube really needs a good racing game, Auto Modellista and GT Cube are shit IMO (I have GT Cube on GCN and AM on PS2).

maskrider said:
BTW, Cube really needs a good racing game, Auto Modellista and GT Cube are shit IMO (I have GT Cube on GCN and AM on PS2).

Yeah, the only thing worth playing apart from fun racers is Burnout2 and maybe V-rally3.

hupfinsgack said:
maskrider said:

Yeah, the only thing worth playing apart from fun racers is Burnout2 and maybe V-rally3.

I don't know but I also have BO2 on GCN (and only on GCN), I had played with it only for a while, it is not the kind of racing game like PGR on X-BOX nor GT3 on PS2.

IMHO, GCN needs something like that.

Well Tahir, i wouldnt know how BO2 sold on GC but my point wasnt about PS2 vs GC, it was about either PS2 vs xbox or GC vs xbox. Either GC or PS2 imo would be a better choice for sega than xbox, ideally PS2 since its where it would likely sell the most.

There's also the factor that GC owners seems to be buying more exclusive softwares than multiplatform ones. No idea why is that, exclusive games are marketed by nintendo more than multiplatform ones thats for sure, then there's multiplatform owners who would likely pick their multiplatform version on the one thats either a) released first, b) better graphics, c) online, which GC rarely gets any of these for multi platform games. There's also the pure fanboys who hype exclusive titles like no tomorow and ignore nearly all games thats multi platform, but i wont go into that territory, just one name for my example, Olimario ;)

What i find alarming is not whether its PS2, GC or xbox exclusive, its comments like these from a sega employee

If this is true and I have it my way then the game won't be published by SEGA in the US. Simple as that

Lets just pray that he has a low rank job at sega like the waterboy or changing plastic bags for the garbage because SoA is doomed if its run by peoples like him. SoA must be corrupted by microsoft more than i thought if its to the point where they would boycott publishing an AM2 game because its not exclusive to xbox.

Tagrineth said:
Sonic said:

Well, Fzero is a far bigger name than Outrun, and it has both sega and nintendo's names attached to it, and is exclusive and got great reviews, how well did it sell? I know it certainly wasn't a million seller, but if it was barely able to reach 200,000, then I doubt outrun 2 could.

Fox5 said:
Tagrineth said:
Sonic said:

Well, Fzero is a far bigger name than Outrun, and it has both sega and nintendo's names attached to it, and is exclusive and got great reviews, how well did it sell? I know it certainly wasn't a million seller, but if it was barely able to reach 200,000, then I doubt outrun 2 could.

F-zero was developed with Nintendo, Sega and Namco, so it's quite logical it is a GCN exclusive.

This is the only cross platform game comparison I could find:
Some pleasing news for you all.

Soul Calibur II sales data thus far:

GameCube: 245,000 units sold in the US
Xbox: 205,000 units sold in the US
PS2: 200,000 units sold in the US

Looks like Link is kicking both Spawn and Heihachi's butts, which is always good news.

It's a little surprising that XBox is outselling the PS2 versions. Given that GameCube has been dubbed as the worst console for fighting games (rather unfairly) these sales are music to my ears. It's also maybe a reminder of just how powerful cool exclusive characters can be...

- by Matt Plummer

http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=5365

I'll try to findout how well a cross platformer racer did.

Sonic:

> If this is true and I have it my way then the game won't be published
> by SEGA in the US. Simple as that.

What a ridiculously fanboyish thing to say. Personal preferences aside, technical differences aside... the fact remains that non-Sega Sports games don't sell on Xbox.

> Compare racing games on the GCN to the other consoles.

There aren't a whole lot of quality racers out for Cube but I see no reason why Outrun 2 couldn't do at least equally well on Cube as on Xbox - especially considering that Xbox is dead in Japan. Burnout 1 sold better on Cube btw.

Of course, PS2 is by far the most sensible choice.

Cyborg:

> What i find alarming is not whether its PS2, GC or xbox exclusive, its
> comments like these from a sega employee

I've always doubted his claims about him working for Sega, especially in regards to his position within the company.

Evil_Cloud:

> F-zero was developed with Nintendo, Sega and Namco

Namco has nothing to do with it. Namco co-developed Triforce but that's it.

Sonic said:
That's easy to do. Compare racing games on the GCN to the other consoles. Looks to me as if the other two consoles really have it better off when it comes to racing games. Outrun 2 would sell poorly on the GCN even next to a way inferior PS2 version. The best I can give you as an example would be like having Sonic R2 on Xbox and Daytona 3 on GCN. In reality, it is the other way around, although both games never got past the concept phase. That is for home systems of course.

There's really not much use arguing it. I've got the detailed data sitting here and it's what I have to look at every other day.

I have data for you too: Most of Sega's biggest Xbox releases (PDO, JSRF, GT) flopped. Badly. Now look at overall sales figures for Sega's biggest GCN releases - TWO of them are million sellers. And one of them is a Dreamcast port.

If this is true and I have it my way then the game won't be published by SEGA in the US. Simple as that.
If SOA really has people who make such decisions like you just did, I feel bad for them. I simply don't think the f.anboy logic has any place when it comes to business.

I just wonder why on Earth you "allowed" VF4 and VF4:Evolution to be released by SOA?

Back