Sony S2000 x Samsung R7X

pascal

Veteran
Now people from UK tell me which one is better?
Games, sports, action movies, dark movies

We are still waiting both here and the soccer championship is coming.
Wife Acceptance Factor is high but she wants to see some Flat Panel action.
I will not buy a ED plasma tv knowing that I miss HD couple years later.
The the solution is HD LCD is is (IMHO) not well-developed.

Now LB please visit Harrods and Selfridge and tell us about your findings.

Hehe new LCDs are very sexy.

I can only report from what i read on the AVforums as i haven't seen these new models in the flesh.

Obviously the new Sony Bravia range are better than the Samsung ones, but they also cost a bit more.

The new Bravia S-series is apparently better than the "old" V-series, which is amazing news for everyone. It uses new processing techniques called Bravia Engine (as opposed to the old Wega Engine the V-series use). Apparently it's better than the Wega Engine, which is saying something, since the Wega Engine was touted as the best processing on any LCD TV up until last month.

And regarding the Samsung ones, the new R7x range is technically better than the "old" M-series. Still a budget solution though, as you'll notice from the price.

Both are great sets, and the Samsung has an absolutely fantastic price, for what you get. Really really good value for money as usual.

Now we only need to wait for the new M-series from Samsung and the new X-series (1080p!) from Sony.

Thanks for the info.
Maybe I should do like you did and get a Samsung (when available) and have some fun and wait for something better in the future (led backlight, etc..)

pascal said:
Thanks for the info.
Maybe I should do like you did and get a Samsung (when available) and have some fun and wait for something better in the future (led backlight, etc..)

Yep that's what i did. I REALLY needed a TV so i opted for a cheaper option (LE32R51BD) which still looks a million times better than any CRT i've ever seen, then when this whole mess settles, with 1080p and newer and cheaper technologies coming up, i'll get a new one.
I already have a buyer for this TV anyway :D

I'd also look at the Toshiba WLT66 series which have extremely good reviews/reports.

I'll probably buy a 32" one of these - the only thing stopping me at the moment is uncertainty if it supports full screen 1:1 pixel mapping for use with a PC. The Samsung does support this mapping but only has 1 HDMI socket compared to 2 on the Tosh.

I have seen the R7x and old V side by side (which, like LB says, is apparently comparable; perhaps slightly worse than the new S).

The panels are evidently of similar quality - running with an HD source at native res with minimal processing I bet they'd look almost identical. The Sony stands out because of its processing (such an evil word!) which IMHO is much better than the Samsung's. It's generally a less gimmicky implementation that does a better job cleaning up/scaling SD video and producing natural images. There's also the not-insignificant issue of aesthetics. The black gloss plastic of the Samsung looks tacky, IMHO - I was surprised by this since in pictures it looks pretty tight.

If you have a good quality HD source (e.g. decent HTPC or high-end upscaling DVD player) then the price tag of the Samsung still makes it very attractive - you might also like the looks. Personally I think the Sony is worth the £200 extra.

The Toshiba is supposed to be very good too.

Personally, i think we're so close to getting proper 1080p panels in the UK, that i don't see the point in buying into yet another wave of half-complete TVs. Hell, these new Samsung still only have 1 HDMI! Toshibas has been putting 2 since last year!

I think i belong to the group of people thinking that it's the manufacturers that don't want to give us "the full thing" yet and are trying to milk us for all it's worth with half-completed equipment, simply because once we DO get there, they won't have anything else to sell us that will sound "new".
As things stand now, in a few months there will be "a whole new wave of TVs that can take 1080p" as opposed to the past wave that could display 1080p but couldn't take it, and the one before that could only take 720p etc etc etc. Like the whole HD-Compatible urine-taking... Misleading customers just so they can increase their profits.

Once we do get to 1080p done properly, it will take a LOOONG time for them to push "something new". To us consumers, that will be heaven, but for them, they'll enter into a stalling period when people will at last see who's a good manufacturer and who's not, on the merits of everything else that counts in a TV (such as digital processing, connections, build quality etc much like it was in the old days, when Sony was seen as the best simply because their Trinitron were so damn good, not because of sill resolution differences but because they were just better), not on silly resolution wars that have plagued us consumers in the last few years.

(Mufu, now u try to guess who i am on the AVforums!)

Look at the S2000 image quality (shameless copy link from avforum):

66228875-L.jpg

66228895-L.jpg

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219868&page=38

Wow, I want one now. :)

Seriously while in the end everything comes down to personal taste, the Toshibas (58 and newer) are just way ahead of the bravias in any review i've come across so far(i had two of the 32inch sony ones(exchanged the first one as it didn't even display tv properly, on the second one component in would not work, sony returned it after 2 month without fixing it as they 'didn't have the parts' and besides tv image quality plain sucks on this sets). I exchanged it for a meh entry level Samsung which at least works (le32-51blabla) and has a better tv picture then the bravia but the design basically cries made in korea. From personal viewing expierience, toshiba's 58p series was well above everyting else (and came with dual hdmi in), haven't seen their new sets though. And don't let you fool yourself by camera pictures of hd feeds. You'll have to try hard to make these look bad, considering what we're used to.

How good is the black level on LCDs compared to CRT's? I know LCD projection sets are crap, but it seems like flat panels are better.

pascal, photographs are completely useless for judging anything about a TV, especially black level and color. Digital cameras never resolve shadows anywhere near as well as our eyes do. Anything above 100:1 will look perfectly black in a photo. The only thing they're good for is in judging sharpness, assuming the photo has high enough resolution.

The avforum photos you posted would look just as good with any EDTV.

PiNK,

Which model of Sony did you have? s-series or v-series.
Toshiba is one of the slowest brands here. The models available are the lowend and at least 1 year old.

Mintmaster

But at least I can say that the s-series aesthetics improved a lot with the new dark-gray front, and colours doesnt look washed ;)

edited: just received a US$200 discount coupom from a retailer (plus normal discount). Now the Sony 32" will cost only 65% of what it used to cost 2 months ago, but the only models available are the older (2005) s-series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the s-series. Didn't care for the additional post-processing circutry as i mostly use the set for digital content (gaming, dvd, media center...).

The new s-series has 30% higher contrast than the previous one, and then the image quality should be improved.

I've just seen the new 66 series of the Toshiba (32 and 37 inch)... looks pants when playing an average quality Freeview channel.

Damn blockiness everywhere and lack of black levels... why... why!?!

Tahir2 said:
I've just seen the new 66 series of the Toshiba (32 and 37 inch)... looks pants when playing an average quality Freeview channel.

Damn blockiness everywhere and lack of black levels... why... why!?!

Mmm that's probably Freeview's fault... Some channels are just embarrassing, i don't know how they are allowed to show them like that, and i'm talking about ITV or ITV2. Ridiculous... Sometimes it just looks like really really bad low-res low-bitrate low-everything MPEG videos.

Back