Sony PS6, Microsoft neXt Series - 10th gen console speculation [2020]

Yes. We have GTA:V. On PS3, XB360, PC, PS4, XB1, PS5 and XSX. With all the re-re-re-releases we should get PS6/XBNext releases too.

Ooooh. But will it be on Stadia or Nintendo Switch?

Bah, I want 100% AI generated games, with AI playing them for me, AI to clean my house, AI to go to the gym for me too. Anything less, pre-order cancelled.

This is what Anime is for, no? I mean don't you have an Anime Waifu or Husbando in your house doing the housework? If you don't, are you a caveman?

Regards,
SB

I don't know what tech will be used for PS6 or the Nexbox but one thing is certain GTAV will be launching with them.

Well at the very least, we will have GTA 6 releasing on them within 12 months of those next next gen consoles coming out.
i.e. 2027 ----> 2028
or 2026 ----> 2027
or 2028 ----> 2029

Even assuming GTA 6 first releases in spring or fall 2023, or spring or fall of 2024 on PS5, XSX/XSS, PC, Stadia etc.

How long before a Nvidia ARM APU that smashes anything AMD produces. Also is ARM good for gaming, i heard it has benefits when it comes to memory management but inferior in all other ways.

How long before a Nvidia ARM APU that smashes anything AMD produces. Also is ARM good for gaming, i heard it has benefits when it comes to memory management but inferior in all other ways.

It doesn't matter at all. We have had extensive why not arm discussions in past. One really big hurdle is binary compatibility and existing x86 software investment(os, middleware, tools, what developers are efficient with) which both ps5 and xbox seem to value highly. Nintendo on the other hand could benefit as they have arm based console already.

Another angle is that microsoft has promoted windows as first class citizen. Even sony is starting to support windows(horizon). Sony/MS consoles are x86 pc's and there is good reasons for things to stay that way.

Probably never, they are aiming for two very different things and there is little incentive to push ARM to win on IPC or other performance metrics. The advantage x86 has is decades of software written for it and being a "good enough" compromise at every stage of it's life until the rise of extremely low power devices which is where ARM ate it's lunch. Conversely however the very features that allowed ARM to eat x86 in the ultra low power regime are things that mitigate against dominating in straight up number crunching dogfight with x86.

Nvidia buy ARM, how long before Ndivia APU and will ARM work good with games. and the potential for MS or Sony to do a Nvidia APU instead of AMD.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patric...qslNixMAaQ2ge4X4zuc3kmFyJSI0Yu7Q#4b0ba5304973

I don't think this has any impact on the future use of ARM/Nvidia in consoles. MS/Sony always had the option to use an NVIDIA/ARM solution before and didn't. I think AMD is really well positioned for even the next round of consoles then before.

PS4/XB1 was designed when AMD was probably at the lowest point of their life, small R&D budgets and bleeding money all over. PS5/XSX rode the upward cycle, but the designs are at least 4-5 years old. I think the next round of consoles (I bet there will be at least a PS6) will really benefit from the increased R&D budgets that are the result of a successful Zen CPU line and what looks to be a successful RDNA GPU line. For a non-mobile consumer device, I don't any real need to move away from x86.

At this point not sooner than 2027, I hope ray tracing will be powerfu enough by then.

it it won't be they have to wait more, they are going to learn from the mistake made with PS5 and XSX

Sony could get its image sensor people to work with the PS team to have 1 or 2 GB of stacked dram to provide a huge level of bandwidth. Kind of wish they did it for PS5. I don't know how feasible it is but if they could get it to work it would be something to differentiate itself. It's probably too costly even for next gen.

At this point not sooner than 2027, I hope ray tracing will be powerfu enough by then.

it it won't be they have to wait more, they are going to learn from the mistake made with PS5 and XSX
Raytracing is heavily RAM bandwidth dependent. No bandwidth enough and raytracing -even present on the HW- will not be used. I suppose this gen raytracing will be mainly used on XSX....

I don't think this has any impact on the future use of ARM/Nvidia in consoles. MS/Sony always had the option to use an NVIDIA/ARM solution before and didn't. I think AMD is really well positioned for even the next round of consoles then before.

PS4/XB1 was designed when AMD was probably at the lowest point of their life, small R&D budgets and bleeding money all over. PS5/XSX rode the upward cycle, but the designs are at least 4-5 years old. I think the next round of consoles (I bet there will be at least a PS6) will really benefit from the increased R&D budgets that are the result of a successful Zen CPU line and what looks to be a successful RDNA GPU line. For a non-mobile consumer device, I don't any real need to move away from x86.

Also why break compatibility now. They did a lot of work getting power pc emulated on x64 and now they are going to do it again for arm ? Not to mention that i am sure its easier to keep x64 and amd gpu code running on newer versions of itself than moving back over to arm and nvidia again.

I suspect the next round of consoles move to an AMD big/little set up. maybe 12 zen cores with 4 puma cores. The puma cores will run the OS and other apps while the 12 zen cores will take care of the game code

Raytracing is heavily RAM bandwidth dependent. No bandwidth enough and raytracing -even present on the HW- will not be used. I suppose this gen raytracing will be mainly used on XSX....
What? We have seen plenty of RT on PS5 already, a lot more than on the X.

The BW heavy use of RT is a fact. XSX is more RAM BW rich, another fact. Also XSX has tech to save RAM BW. I agree we are on an early stage of new consoles development... So we saw little.... Also MS has still some bad results from old management (Halo).

Back