Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

Discussion in 'VR and AR' started by snc, Feb 23, 2021.

1. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

Sony would make a killing make it PS and PC compatible.

PSman1700 likes this.
  2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Depends on pricing strategy. If it's sold ~cost to drive adoption with profits from PS software sales, there'd be no money to make on PC. They could sell it to PC for $100+ markup over PS price, but chances are whatever they do to make it 'PS only' will have workarounds and PC VR enthusiasts will just get the cheaper PS version and hack it to work on PC. Without a Sony storefront on PC and VR content locked to the headset, there's no way to monetise the hardware beyond hardware margins.

If it's pure USB-C though, chances are it'll be hacked to work on PC anyway. We've had drivers for all Sony's hardware - cameras, controllers - as they are made out of standard components.

Pete likes this.
  3. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

Some PSVR games were running at native 120hz. 45fps would be too low for VR. I am expecting more 120hz native games on PS5 as some simple games were even running at that framerate on base PS4.

4. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

45fps with various sorts of interpolation to 90 has been a thing on the PC for a while. Not sure how well or if that'd play nice with foveted rendering though.

snc likes this.
  5. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

45fps interpolated to 90fps on the PC works pretty well. I'm sure you can tell the difference but I tried a couple of years ago to see the difference in Project Cars 2 and I struggled to.

PSman1700, cheapchips and snc like this.
  6. Entropy

Veteran

A killing, maybe not. But it would help them gain market penetration, and drive VR in a way that would benefit them (and, arguably, everyone except possibly facebook). It would also give them an audience for their in-house developed VR-content on PC, which would give them some extra software revenue on top of hardware sales.

Even though I’m intrigued by PSVR2, having to buy a PS5 and the VR package is a bit steeper than I’d like. Selling PSVR2 for PC would expand their market, and if priced right, could achieve dominance to the point of becoming the de facto gaming standard for wired headsets.

PSman1700 likes this.
  7. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Given Sony's willingness to publish titles on PC, it does make official PSVR2 support feel a little more feasible.

To throw a rumour further than it deserves, Alyx is coming to PS5 as Sony and Valve have an agreement for SteamVR support on PC.

#247 cheapchips, Jan 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    PSman1700 likes this.
  8. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby

If they didn't do it on PS4 (PSVR already supports 90hz) they won't do it on PS5. They must have their own reasons but I'd say it's probably because 45fps could increase motion sickness.

9. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

The user doesn't experience 45fps, its 90 unique frames per second. It's just that (up to) half of them are created through post processing. They're not duplicates of the prior frame.

Oculus have just released a 36fps /72fps output version of ASW for Quest.

Didn't Sony have something like an ASW mode for a 60fps interpolated to 120?

#249 cheapchips, Jan 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    snc likes this.
  10. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Yes, PSVR supports 60 fps games upscaling to 120 fps, or 90 fps native.

cheapchips likes this.
  11. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby

And 120fps native.

12. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Pretty sure PSVR didn't have any object location/time interpolation, just head reposition to latest location.

13. snc

snc
    Veteran Newcomer

Little hypothessis, apparently Twisted Metal reboot is no longer developed by Lucid Games (Destruction All Stars) and now is produced by Firesprite (Persistance, Horizon Vr), see oportunity of full vr support also for this title.

14. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Unless head vibration works miracles, that sounds like a rather harsh VR experience.

PSman1700 likes this.
  15. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Now I suddenly remember how awesome dreams is in VR and I can’t wait to use it with the new headset and controllers!

snc likes this.