Sony PlayStation 3 Playable by May, Says Report

Personally, I think Sony has various launching options open and those are dependend on Microsoft's next moves. If the Xenon showing at E3 is big, I'm sure Sony could manage to show something worthwhile. If the Xenon launch is a huge success... I'm sure they could react to that also.

I also think that Sony would love to launch as late as possible. CELL is scalable... 1 PE, 2, 3 or even 4... it all depends on the process that will be used and the yields they're getting on it. Launching later and hardware will be more powerful. The only question is "when" they're going to launch and that IMO will also determin the final hardware specs.

Since CELL is scalable, this should also mean that developers can beginn working, perhaps targeting minimum requirements of 1 PE. If they do launch later with 2 or more PE's, I think developers will simply target the newer specs.... similarly to how PSP's specs were changed at the end (change of memory and amount).

I'm pretty sure that at this point both Sony and MS are commited to whatever launch window they've selected.

Theer are too manty things that need to be in place to put a ,illion consoles opn shelves for this not to be the case. Design is the least of there problems at this point.

pc999 said:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20050128112857.html

Nvidea say that the GPU would be made by then, if is true maybe we can see a 2005 release

I did not read in that article that nVidia said that the GPU would be made by then. The article says:

In order to make the console work Sony will need to have all crucial components for the machine – the Cell processor, the GPU, supporting logic and XDR DRAM – available in silicon.
But I did not see anything about nVidia claiming that the GPU would be made by then.

Based on nVidia's own comments last month about having the goal for final silicone by the end of 2005 I would be surprised if they had a dinal GPU in the PS3 at E3. My guess (and it is only that) that it will be early HW with prototype chips.

As for a 2005 release you need games for a release. Xenon game development has been under way for a while but a lot of developers have been miffed at no PS3 kits. So my guess is a no. I am not sure Sony has any incentive to rush. You are talking about pushing a CELL, BR, XDR, and high end NV50 class GPU in one box. 2006 looks like a much more feasible release target (Spring in Japan, Fall in the US).

Based on nVidia's own comments last month about having the goal for final silicone by the end of 2005 I would be surprised if they had a dinal GPU in the PS3 at E3. My guess (and it is only that) that it will be early HW with prototype chips.

Here? I was convinced that they had said early that the GPU would be ready in early 2005. :?

BTW they hided the Nv deal, why not games , we almost dont know none to any console, anyway it only is playable with games ;) .

Anyway I prefer 2006 releases would be better for all consoles, but I point it as a change it is a change

Then again playable hardware could mean a number of things...

It's a possiblity that they will not have final hardware but a scenerio where there is a PS3 console behind a plastic case and the actual game is being processed by a workstation. Like what was done with the PSP.

sony can launch with crappy games that are no where near ready for release . They did it with the ps2 .

Though i think no matter how u cut it the ps3 wont be on shelves in america till at least 2006

jvd said:
sony can launch with crappy games that are no where near ready for release . They did it with the ps2 .

Though i think no matter how u cut it the ps3 wont be on shelves in america till at least 2006

Oh come on!! Tekken Tag and SSX were good games!! No Halo or Mario64 but they were very playable games.

Oh come on!! Tekken Tag and SSX were good games!! No Halo or Mario64 but they were very playable games.

I only played ssx in passing but tekken tag was to slow and look very very bad .

Didn't KK say they would have a "playable" PS3 at this E3?

And they committed to showing it long before they announced the NV deal.

wco81 said:
Didn't KK say they would have a "playable" PS3 at this E3?

And they committed to showing it long before they announced the NV deal.
Key word being "announced". They may have been working together longer than that. PEACE.

Mythos said:
Then again playable hardware could mean a number of things...

It's a possiblity that they will not have final hardware but a scenerio where there is a PS3 console behind a plastic case and the actual game is being processed by a workstation. Like what was done with the PSP.

Exactly. That is what I would expect--prototypes or emulations.

As for other people's comments on nVidia, the nVidia founder (I cannot spell his name so I wont insult him with an errant effort) in last months long audio interview noted they expected to have final PS3 silicone by the end of 2005. There is a thread somewhere around here with all the details. If I find it I will link it.

Now I am not a chip expert. nVidia may be able to build a handful of PS3 prototype chips without taping out. I am not sure how that entire process works. But if they are planning on a custom version of their next generation GPU (NV50 / GF 7xxx series), which is not slated to be out until the end of 2005 at earliest, I really doubt we will be seeing a finalized PS3 at E3. All I would expect is some tech demos and maybe a teaser or two. Just enough to get buzz going.

And it is all moot. How many developers have PS3 development kits? Exactly. A 2005 release would be suicide. And no, at this point I am absolutely unexcited about ANY demos Sony will show, period. I remember the PS2 demos far too well. Heck, I wont be impressed with any Xenon tech demos. The real measuring stick will be playable software. Xenon should have some at E3 and this will be what I am measuring the Xenon's potential by (knowing that 2nd and 3rd gen titles always look better but usually far less impressive than tech demos); I would not expect more than a handful of demos of PS3 software at E3, if any. Same goes for the Revolution. Of course every fanboy arround the globe is going to do summersaults over the tech demos even though we will never see games half as good :|

Sony is in the drivers seat and has an excellent release strategy. The ball is really in MS court--are they going to go all out and lose a lot of money with a 2005 release by making the console more future proof or are they going to try to be reasonable and allow Sony to walk all over them. e.g. Will they go with 22GB of memory bandwidth or 50GB. 256MB or 512MB. By going with more/faster memory they are going to have an expensive release; but if they stick with less/slower memory Sony has an oppurtunity to move in a year later when costs are lower and get more performance. It is a very sticky situation for MS.

If history holds true, Sony is going to show off some killer demos at E3... I think the worse thing MS could do would be to show some less than impressive ports. Hopefuly some top notch developers, maybe even some rare developers, have been putting in a year or two of effort preparing for this. If not E3 may be a MS disaster.

jvd said:

I only played ssx in passing but tekken tag was to slow and look very very bad .

Cripes. Get over your biases, man. Tekken Tag is still one of the best looking games on the PS2. It's prettier than Tekken 4, and, I dare say, Soul Caliber II, which, to my eyes, looks too grainy and washed-out. (I understand that the latter two games have more 3D backgrounds than Tekken Tag, but that only goes to explain how Tekken Tag can look prettier.)

jvd said:

Most of the best games around during the PS2 launch were on the Dreamcast and they were made by Sega themselves. When the PS3 launches a number of developers will have already created, or be close to completing, next-gen titles (since MS pushed up game development by a year by releasing Xenon early)...so it will at least have a number of quality ports.

phat said:
jvd said:

Cripes. Get over your biases, man. Tekken Tag is still one of the best looking games on the PS2. It's prettier than Tekken 4, and, I dare say, Soul Caliber II, which, to my eyes, looks too grainy and washed-out. (I understand that the latter two games have more 3D backgrounds than Tekken Tag, but that only goes to explain how Tekken Tag can look prettier.)

Tekken Tag looked awful IMO, 4 and SC school it.

GwymWeepa said:
jvd said:

Most of the best games around during the PS2 launch were on the Dreamcast and they were made by Sega themselves. When the PS3 launches a number of developers will have already created, or be close to completing, next-gen titles (since MS pushed up game development by a year by releasing Xenon early)...so it will at least have a number of quality ports.

They may or may not have ports .

Then again if the ps3 launches with crappy original titles and then some good ports from the xenon . Why would u buy a ps3 over a xenon when the xenon not only has had all those ports but many other games by that point ?

GwymWeepa Don't worry about defending me . Apparently people can say whatever they want against nintendo ,sega or ms but if you say something about sony your views are considered bias and invalid . I'm used to it , I just state my opinion and let them say whatever thier little heads will want to say

Acert93 said:
Now I am not a chip expert. nVidia may be able to build a handful of PS3 prototype chips without taping out. I am not sure how that entire process works.
AFAIK impossible.

ERP said:
I'm pretty sure that at this point both Sony and MS are commited to whatever launch window they've selected.

Theer are too manty things that need to be in place to put a ,illion consoles opn shelves for this not to be the case. Design is the least of there problems at this point.

I'm not quite sure how many months are necessary to get production up to a decent launch quantity - but I'll assume somewhere around 4 months when launching in one territory (Japan). Before production gets rolling, I would expect Sony to have various prototypes or at least options available to them. Of course, this whole thing is limited by when Nvidia, the GPU supplier has their work completed - but once that is done, I wonder if the number of CELLs is that relevant to the GPU. Of course, this is wild speculation on my part, since we just don't know what kind of work loads CELL or the Nvidia part (whatever it will be exactly in the end) are set to do. There are various articles indicating though that the Nvidia part should be integrateble in a wide range of [CE] products. Anyway, it was just a wild guess since CELL is scalable and I'm sure the last thing on Sony's mind is to underestimate Microsoft and their pre-emtive strike with Xenon.

If changing around PEs is such a big undertaking... then I'd have to question how PSP's specs were changed at the very end (of course assuming public leaks are in line with when Sony actually made the changes).

All in all, I would think Sony is in no hurry to launch any time soon given that PSP is shaping up nicely and PS2 still has big software coming its way (Final Fantasy XII).

jvd said:

Crappy launch in Japan or NA/Europe? Quite a difference. Can't really speak for Japan, but NA and Europe certainly were far from bad - and sales do indicate this, regardless of any biased opinion put forward. Tekken Tag, SSX and even Timesplitters received excellent marks in being very fun games. And I definately agree with phat that Tekken Tag still remains one of the best looking fighters. Perfect IQ with bearly *any* aliasing at all, high polygon characters (higher than Tekken 4), lots of background action going on (helicopter, people, fire etc) and nice art-direction to go with it. There were also some very nice touches, like the grass-level with what seems like hundreds of different blades of grass, snow levels etc. A beautiful game, no doubt about it.

GwymWeepa said:
Tekken Tag looked awful IMO, 4 and SC school it.

Tekken 4 had about half the polygons on the characters compared to Tekken Tag, and not as many layers of effects as a whole. It was a pretty big stumble graphics- and gameplay-wise.

Soul Calibur II had character polygon counts comparable to or even higher than Tekken Tag's, but its textures were less "vivid" than TT's, and its graphics as a whole didn't have as many layers of reflection and gloss effects as TT's. Plus, personally, I don't care for the Soul Calibur character designs as much as Tekken's.

I haven't seen Tekken 5 in person yet (I own the other three games under discussion), but from screenshots and movies, it looks to be a return to form for the series.

Back